It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

soaplady HB User
Another Question...arthritis In Facet Joints

As I mentioned in another post, I was dx with mild facet arthrosis in my L-4,5 level. Would that include the facet joint? What does arthritis in those areas feel like? Anyone have this dx, and what symptoms do you have? Can just *mild* arthritis cause alot of pain? My PT told me that it can cause the rest of the spine to lock up, or stiffen up, and even a little is enough to make the bones painful.

Can chiropractors actually help arthritis in these areas? Once you have this, is there anything you can do to help prevent it from getting worse? How do you feel about massage therapy in treating this? The stupid PM doc even discounted that, even though I have a script from the ortho doc for MT.

Sorry again for all the questions. I just feel after today's awful PM app't that my pain isn't real (according to him). Any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 04-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
(male)

dezispec HB User
Re: Another Question...arthritis In Facet Joints

I have been diagnosed with mild facet arthropathy L5/S-1. Symptoms include localized pain in the L5/S-1 area sometimes affecting upper buttocks but it does not radiate (super lucky). I can get some relief when the pain occurs by pulling my legs into my chest or standing and leaning forward with hands on my knees. Standing upright or arching backward is a killer. The GP says take naproxen for this. I had better luck with jelly beans this past Easter.

MRI also showed posterior annular tear L5/S-1 so I could be exhibiting a mixture of both. Hope this helps.

Think of this: Arthritis is defined as [I]Inflammation of a joint, usually accompanied by [B]pain[/B], swelling, and stiffness[/I]. If it didn't hurt then you wouldn't have time to visit with these clowns because you'd be too busy leading a normal life as a happy human being. I just wish I had the guts to tell my GP this, heh.

Last edited by dezispec; 04-23-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Another Question...arthritis In Facet Joints

doesn't neccesarily mean the facets are involved. They could be. This can usually be determined by an MRI or facet injections.

The injections did not help my pain however latest MRI showed they were arthritic.
I have numerous other issues so it's hard for me to say exactly what the facet pain is like, primarily just stiff and painful I suppose.

if you haven't tried the facet blocks I think they may help at least tell you if
a) they are bad
b) if steroids will help

I no longer use Chiro's - perhaps others who see your post can offer their opinion on this. I know for me hot moist compresses help some.

My PM says that facet joint syndrome alone can be very painful and at times even cause disabling pain.

I wish you well
BW

Closed Thread