It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
(male)

jcshan HB User
Effexor for pain

I currently take hydrocodone 7.7 for stenosis, spurs & degenerative disc. DR started me on Effexor yesterday to help control the pain. I take 7 days of 37.5mg, then to 75mg to see if it works. Anyone have any experience with this? I had use Paxil for a while, but it didn't seem to do anything but make me tired.
Thanks,
jcshan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girl75 HB User
Re: Effexor for pain

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]hello jcshan, i had been taking effexor for depression and started out 75mg and then moved up to 150mg this was prescribed by my fam. doc. when i stared going to pain magmt. they said for me to increase it up to 300mg to help with my pain. i have been on the 300mg[/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic]for about a year now and honestly i still have the same amount of pain that i had before i increased the dosage. i also take other meds for pain that do help somewhat but my pain mangt doc wants me to stay on them for now because i am in the process of changing some of my other meds and she wants me to do small changes. i think that we might switch over to cymbalta to see if that helps later on. i heard that this is suppose to do the same thing that effexor does for pain but it is new. i am also concerned about tapering off effexor because i cannot stand the withdrawl that i have
experianced before.

well to sum it up it really did not help me with my pain but it helps with my depression. i hope somehow this helped a little.[/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic]let me know if you have any more questions i am happy to help.[/FONT]

[COLOR=Magenta]robin (tiana75)[/COLOR]

Last edited by girl75; 03-19-2005 at 10:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 01:32 AM   #3
(female)

batmatic HB User

I can't see how Effexor could possibly be of any use for pain. Doctors have gotten so
weird about prescribing pain medications any more, it really is ludicrous. Pain medicines
were and are meant for alleviating pain, I wish doctors would quit treating all their
patients as potential drug addicts.

I currently take 225 mg of Effexor for depression and have been suffering a bout of
fairly painful problems with my back recently. I assure you that Effexor does nothing to alleviate the pain or lessen it's occurrance. Given Effexor's side effects and potential
liver damage I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
(female)

BobiM HB User

There is supposedly some property in certain anti depressants, like Effexor and Sinequan, that helps with pain relief. Rheumatologists are now prescribing it for pain in some cases.

Bobi

Old 03-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I read that it has something to do with using the same neuropathways in the brain and something about the endorphin release. There was a legitmate reason for prescribing them.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
(female)

rowboat HB User

My doctor put me on the same thing. I was on Paxil first, too. But that made me nauseous. I've only been on it for a couple of weeks, and to be honest, I can't tell if it's helping or not. My pain has gotten a little better, but he started me on Mobic at the same time, so I don't know which one is helping. Maybe it's both. But I figure I will keep taking it anyway, because I was starting to get depressed from being in pain for 2 years!

So, unless we have the same doctor, apparently this is not an uncommon practice.

Good luck!

Becky

Old 03-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I did some research on this last night. Pain pills are a depressant. Pain is a depressant. It makes sense that they would add anti-depressants to the PM program. I sure as heck know that I am depressed and I am not on anything right now. The pain is crippling me. But, if I take the anti-depressants, there is always the paradoxicl/opposite effect of spiriling into deeper depression.

One needs to weigh the pros and cons. With anti-depressants it is a tricky one. They take weeks to take effect and if you respond by sinking deeper into depression, it is not easy to just stop taking them.

I want happy pills, give me happy pills

I was watching a show about addiction last night that stated, "Drugs numb pain and feelings, be it physical or psychological. Addicts know this, this why there will ways be addicts".

So, they give you pain pills to stop the pain, which in turn causes depression, so they have to give you anti-depressants.

Closed Thread