It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #1

theworrier HB User
When will this nerve damage repair itself....if ever!

[B]Hi guys, ive not posted here for a while.

I am now 12 months post op after a microdiscectomy and still I cant take weight on my tip toes. Therefore I walk with a limp. After a visit to my GP last week she says it is unlikely that it will get any better.

After the surgery, the feeling of walking on folded socks and the tingling and numbness disappeared almost immediately along with the unbearable pain, but to this day I cant stand on tip toes on my left foot

I was discharged in December from the Neurocentre, but have an appointment to see the Neurosurgeon in June as until I hear it from him, I continue to hope.

Its a pain as cant walk my dog very far now as I drag my left leg as there is no spring in my step so to speak and it tires me out.

Sorry to moan but is there anyone else whos nerve damage has returned after such a long time?[/B]

Old 03-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
Re: When will this nerve damage repair itself....if ever!

I am 10 mons post op microdiskectomy and still have some drop foot as well, as well as stabbing leg, foot and toe pain from pinched nerve.

my doctor said it would take 3 years to heal the nerve.

he said most healing takes place in the first year, but for 3 years it continues, and even after, so I would ask the PT why they gave up on your foot after only one year.

Do you have stabbing pain? I don't know your situation, and I too, would like to hear from someone who has recovered from a pinched nerve and not just continued on neurontin forever.

Good luck and blessings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I have the same problem. It's the most annoying part of my whole surgery experience. I get discouraged at times, and other days I'm quite hopeful. I feel embarrassed when people say "Oh, how come you're limping, what did you do to your foot" and then I explain its a result from back surgery. I try so hard to walk without a limp.

All I can say is keep working the muscle in the foot/ankle/calf and hamstring. It most likely will get better. I have also found that keeping fluid off from it helps. Aleve helps it and so does my diuretic. Don't know if it's associated or not, but whatever works.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #4
(male)

tracer HB User

before my decomty i had leg numbnesss pain and weakness and now 4 months post op my lower leg is very weak and walking is painful doctor said maybe permenant not sure,i dont think we will recover i feel its directly due to the doctors wanting to try injections and therpy for several months before surgery to decompress the root nerve,all ppl i have talked too that had imedite relief after surgery done better but those like me who woke up with horrible nerve pain where the leg was numb are left with life long nerve damage,i have some back pain now and a weak foot that is tingley. when i walk i have severe siatic pain in my lower leg at my calf, and in front on top of my foot and toes,i have slight drop foot that gets worse the more i walk.the pain in my lower leg can be decribed as a cramping/burning type pain that is relived when not walking,god bless us all,tracer

Last edited by tracer; 03-19-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #5

vickic HB User

I still have some foot issues and I am almost 6 months post op from a microdiscectomy. I have a slight limp, but it is not noticeable to most people. I can not stand as high on my right toes as I can on my left. I couldn't stand on my right toes at all before surgery. My surgeon said that it just takes time, but that it should heal after a year. The first physical therapist that I went to focused very much on strengthening my legs and paid particular attention to the ankle area. That helped a lot. I also had to kind of train myself to walk as normal as possible once some of the strength returned. I would tell myself "heel,toe,heel,toe" as I walked.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
As far as a nerve healing itself it also depends on how long the damage was going on before it was "released" Then it can take a long time, I was told up to 18 months or so. But my nerves were compressed for years and after a perid of time that long they do not repair themselves. Have you had a nerve block or any kind of diagnostic test to see exactly where it is coming from?
shelley

Old 03-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #7

theworrier HB User

[QUOTE=myspine]Hi there
As far as a nerve healing itself it also depends on how long the damage was going on before it was "released" Then it can take a long time, I was told up to 18 months or so. But my nerves were compressed for years and after a perid of time that long they do not repair themselves. Have you had a nerve block or any kind of diagnostic test to see exactly where it is coming from?
shelley[/QUOTE]

Hi Shelly, I have never had diagnostic tests but will be sure to mentionit on my next visit to the Neurosurgeon.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

One of my PT's is a foot person, and she recommended flexing the foot up and down (toes pointed up, toes pointed down) 3x a day, holding for 15 seconds in each position, 3 times. She said that otherwise the achilles can shorten.

They tried to get me to stand on my toes, and do toe lifts, but I cannot due to toe pain. But i can do this. Just lay down and dangle that leg off the couch or bed.

She also said that some people get cold feet and you have to rub that foot to increase circulation or it can cause problems. I don't remember what she called it but it's a complication of foot drop and it's not good.

So my husband rubs my foot each night as I cannot reach it due to the back. She said for me to rub it with a towel. My foot is so sensitive that barely touching it causes shooting pain, and that's not good i guess. But rubbing it does lessen that pain.

Another thing she told me that works: when you walk, don't look down at the ground as that hurts your balance and those with foot drop have trouble with balance. She said that any time the ankle is weak, it takes a long time to get ones balance back.

Look up about 7 to 10 feet ahead of you, focusing on a horizontal line if possible. That helps the brain send a message to your leg to balance. It WORKS! Try it.

I do that and my balance has increased and I don't limp as much. She told me to practice that in the pool so if I fall over, you don't get hurt. Pool walking she said is the best.

I paid good money to learn these tips. That PT is EXPENSIVE! Hope they help.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hi.... My Pain Management Doctor told me that the nerve damage I have "IF" it was going to heal could take 3 -5 years... my S1 nerve was compressed for 7-8 months....but my Neurosurgeon also had to cut away scar tissue that had started to form to protect my nerve where it was being compressed....he said that it is a good possability that the scar tissue has started to grow back, but he will not go in and cut it out again, because it will just grow back worse each time...

My lower back, hip, buttock, leg and foot pain started gradually, then one day I was out in my yard mowing and stepped in a hole and fell, twisted my back landed on my butt... and then the pain got terribly worse.... so I went through, the PT... etc... etc.... and finally had a discectomy back in June04...I woke completely 100% pain free....then after about 2 weeks my pain started to return, and it is terrible on a daily basis...I am 9 months post OP...I still have the burning, crawling, tingling, pain... the numbness... the horrible toe and foot pain... had the ESI's.. meds like Neurontin, Keppra.... Gabatril... etc.. for nerve pain... non worked...so now I live on a daily basis taking Methadone, and Zanaflex..taking it one day at a time...

Hope your pain gets better... and you heal soon.... Take Care.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
(female)

mm78 HB User

Hi Everyone, I'm glad and sad to see people in the same boat as me. I had my microdiscectomy in july '05 and my leg, butt, toes, calf have been numb ever since. I can't stand on tip-toes or walk without a limp. I hate it. I can't walk for more than 15 minutes and the muscles have already completely atrophied (to the point where 1/2 of my butt sags).

Today I went to a Physiatrist and he put me on Keppra. I have no leg pain, just numbness. All I really want is to get the strength and feeling back in that leg. Has anyone tried Keppra? I'm a little leery to take such a strong drug since I have no pain.

Thanks for the good tips about looking at the straight line to balance, and rubbing the foot to increase circulation. I had been worried about that as the foot is always cold.

In two weeks I get an EMG which at least will give some answers.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
(female)

showdee HB User
Anyone understand nerve damage?

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me. I had a minimally invasive procedure done a little over a month ago. I am still in so much pain every day. The doctor told me that it is because there is nerve damage and it may take up to a couple months to heal. Since the procedure I feel worse in that the severe pain is even more often than before. I used to stand for about a half hour and then the pain in my back, buttocks, hip and leg would become severe, now as soon as I wake up in the morning it is severe. I can kind of understand if the pain was the same, but I don't understand why this would happen. I'm losing hope that I'll ever get relief. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by showdee; 01-06-2006 at 01:09 PM.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #12

theworrier HB User

[QUOTE=TexasWildRose04]Hi.... My Pain Management Doctor told me that the nerve damage I have "IF" it was going to heal could take 3 -5 years... my S1 nerve was compressed for 7-8 months....but my Neurosurgeon also had to cut away scar tissue that had started to form to protect my nerve where it was being compressed....he said that it is a good possability that the scar tissue has started to grow back, but he will not go in and cut it out again, because it will just grow back worse each time...

My lower back, hip, buttock, leg and foot pain started gradually, then one day I was out in my yard mowing and stepped in a hole and fell, twisted my back landed on my butt... and then the pain got terribly worse.... so I went through, the PT... etc... etc.... and finally had a discectomy back in June04...I woke completely 100% pain free....then after about 2 weeks my pain started to return, and it is terrible on a daily basis...I am 9 months post OP...I still have the burning, crawling, tingling, pain... the numbness... the horrible toe and foot pain... had the ESI's.. meds like Neurontin, Keppra.... Gabatril... etc.. for nerve pain... non worked...so now I live on a daily basis taking Methadone, and Zanaflex..taking it one day at a time...

Hope your pain gets better... and you heal soon.... Take Care.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rose...

Old 01-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
(male)

tracer HB User

just a update i am now 13 month post op and no real improvement.

best wishes:tracer

Old 01-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
(female)

Tirzah HB User

I've been in pt for my leg pain and my therapist told me that a nerve will heal at about 1/2 inch a month. When you do exercises you don't want to aggravate the nerve more but still do as much muscle strengthening and stretching as you can. She says it just takes a long time for that nerve to heal.
Tirzah

Closed Thread