It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

BobiM HB User
grabber, toilet seat extender, etc.

Those of you who have used grabbers, toilet seat extenders and things like that after surgery, did you buy these items or did you rent them? Did anyone get a hospital bed afterwards for a week or more?

Bobi

Old 03-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: grabber, toilet seat extender, etc.

Hi there
I only used the grabber. It is 9.99 at the local superstore. Wow what a great investment still to reach things. What surgery are you having? Good luck.
shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

The doc prescribed the potty chair and the hospital had it for me when I left. Insurance paid totally for that since I was in catastropic coverage, but it could have cost me the 20 percent of what they allowed. Same with the walker, since the doc prescribed. If I had asked him about the grabbers and sock aids, etc my insurance may have paid, but they are inexpensive. We don't have a store here that carries all those items, so I ordered off the net after reading posts from all our good friends here.
If you are going to need them long term, you may wish to do a search for living.aids or independent.aids and find the many places that sell such items. They are fairly inexpensive but many types and different lengths of grabbers. The sock aid and the grabbers have been my best finds.

Best of luck with your back. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=myspine]Hi there
I only used the grabber. It is 9.99 at the local superstore. Wow what a great investment still to reach things. What surgery are you having? Good luck.
shelley[/QUOTE]

It's my son who is having the surgery. It's a PLIF 2 level fusion. He's scheduled for April 14.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Bobi

Old 03-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I have the potty, Brace and Walker that Medicare paid for. I had to buy the grabbers and the shower seat myself. The grabbers I got from the local medical supply store for $15.00 each, I bought 2 of them, I can't live without them, Hubby even snatched one. I only have a walk-in shower and they wouldn't pay for a chair for me, I think it was between 60-70 dollars.
Stardust

Old 03-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
(female)

Valley HB User
Lightbulb Re: grabber, toilet seat extender, etc.

I have the grabber, and toilet seat extension, and a shower chair that I had to pay for myself, I also have an adjustable bed,(like the craftmatic bed) that is a lifesaver, don't think I could have made it on a flat bed. The insurance did cover a walker. Check with your insurance to see if they will pay for a hospital bed, you will need it. Valley

Old 03-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I had a shower chair and a grabber that I purchased. I didn't see any need for the raised potty seat. Sitting on the potty or sitting in a chair was really no different. Still had to get in a sitting position to get there. I did have a walker for the first couple weeks and insurance paid for that and they gave it to me while I was in the hospital.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
(female)

tammys HB User

I brought a potty seat, cane, grabber and a neat little bath sponge on a stick home with me that my insurance paid for. I had really good insurance at the time though. Check with your insurance to see if they pay for any of that stuff (they usually pay part at least). I didn't have a hospital bed, but a friend of mine had a fusion also and her family rented a hospital bed for a month. Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!

Tammy

Old 03-21-2005, 04:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I picked up grabbers 'as seen on tv' on sale at a local dept store. I got one for every room. After the fact I found a brush on a stick with a swivel head at Dollar Tree. That has been amazing for washing my feet.
fly

Old 03-22-2005, 05:09 AM   #10
(female)

SadieNY HB User

I had a toiletseat lift a walker and a hospital bed. My doc did a script for all of them and my insurance took care of it. The Bed helped alot as I was able to move it up and down my regular bed is rather high off of the ground. I spent the 1st 3 weeks in it.. I only used my walker for a few days and then used a cane.

These items are very nice to have when you come home for pain issues as well as comfort no one want's a fall when trying to walk or that awfulllllll pain excuse me when trying to lower down to sit on the toilet anyway talk to your doc about a script for them so if you can, the insurance will pay.. Infact I will be using all of them again next month when I go back in for surgery. My husband is so excited to have to get it all out of the basement lol lol

Alot of the items can be found at medical supply stores look for like lifts and hospital beds or wheelchair rentals in the yellow pages

Closed Thread