It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

schooldriver HB User
Anyone heard of somatization disorder?

Hello, everyone Iwas just going thru my med records and this was listed as a dx. Well looked it up and I am not a happy camper .Has anyone here been dx'ed with that. It pretty much a disorder that drs use to let other drs know it's just all in ur head. If I am wrong please enlighten me Btw I dont even meet 1/2 the criteria.Just another thing to wonder about Oh well Thanks again Barb ps,I put more info about myself in my first post after some of the replies. Take Care

Old 03-20-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Anyone heard of somatization disorder?

Hi,

Absolutely do not blame you at being upset!!! While I wasn't familiar with the terminology, I read some of the web articles on it. Sounds like an easy way out for somone who isn't very good in their chosen field, doesn't it? If a medical professional isn't very good or can't diagnose a problem, then why not make it the patient's mental disorder?

Several years ago I went for a spine test the anethesologist performing the test injected the solution too quickly and I felt excruciating pain and had to cry out. Told him that my legs were now asleep and he insisted I get off the table as the test was done. BTW, he was running more than 2 hrs late in getting to my test that AM. Naturally, when I attempted to get up, the legs would not support me and I collapsed to the floor. He had the nurse to get a wheel chair and I was loaded up and sent to the garage for the staff to get me into the car. Hours later I was returned to the hospital not only still paralyzed, but totally without function of the bladder, bowels, etc., and it took more than a month for a fairly full recovery. The explanation that he gave in his records for the hospital was that it was hysterical paralyzation.

Thank goodness though as I recovered and learned I needed to seek another spine doctor (the one who ordered the test, but did not perform the test would no longer treat me in order to protect the anethesiologist) every one I went to said NO WAY was it hysterical paralyzation! Once they looked at the film I carried with me, they each said that I had been injected too quickly and with the extreme compression from the ruptured disk, it had caused further injury to the spinal cord. They said it was critical that such injections be done slowly and he should have stopped when I first noticed increased pain. Well, I found it interesting that the doctor who caused the injury never saw me again but presented this diagnosis, and the ordering doctor who never again examined me, seeing me only once by standing in the doorway agreed with that diagnosis. Amazing how those who actually examined me in the ER and those who examined me later did not agree.

Certainly, were I in your situation and upset with the diagnosis, I would do exactly what I did then; get all my films, tests reports and take those with me as I searched for a doctor I could have more confidence in to take care of my back. I would get a copy of my total files from this doctor, but not so sure I'd let other doctors see it as it might tend to influence their diagnosis. I did get my file, but chose to leave out the last visit in which he agreed that the paralyzation was hysterical. I chose to tell the doctors (all but one neuro I was not impressed by) what was diagnosed and asked if they agreed and if so, explain why. Each told me why they would NOT agree and the more impressive docs pointed out why on the films.

I do hope you find a doctor who can help and will work with you with what is causing your back pain. Being in pain is not fun and because one doctor has not found the problem does not mean it is in your head. Wishing you better days ahead and hope you will let us know how you are doing with your back. We're here if you need to vent or just want some support.

Last edited by Quietcook; 03-20-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

schooldriver HB User

Wow hysterical paralazation. I just cannot believe how some doctors can just blame their mistakes on the patient and get away with it. scares me to no end.I'm glad things got better for you. It makes me very upset about that diagnosis.Granted I do have a history of depression(even before back problems),but I was doing very well in controlling it with meds. Then my back started hurting,and I've had a few setbacks but never that bad.But Who with back problems does'nt have some sort of depression?It's a given, you can't do the things you used to do. It would make any one depressed. No wonder I got the feeling that the neurologist. did'nt take whatever I said seriously. Makes sense now Time to find a new pcp that was the last straw.Thank you and take care Barb

Old 03-20-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Barb,

It can be frustrating to search for a new doctor in any area, but it is your life and your suffering, so just go at it with the confidence that you will find the doctor who will listen to what you are saying and as you listen to what they say, there will be that feeling when you know that you have found the doc that you can work with for a better recovery.

I've been lucky that I've not had to suffer depression, but several of my friends do. Two have struggled with health problems for about five years often fussing about their doctor ignoring what they said, especially when it concerned how one med for one problem seemed to make another problem worse. Finally they made the move I'd suggested for five years and saw my osteopathic doc. One has Fibromyalgia and depression and the other had had to deal with cancer surgery and all that goes with it, plus depression. In the few short months they both on less meds, and feeling good.

Best wishes for a short and extremely successful doctor search and hope you will let us know how you are doing. If you need a place to vent when that pain gets to you, we are here, so vent away instead to us. We will understand.

Closed Thread