It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

diva78 HB User
Scheduled appt for Orthopedic Surgeon....Now What???

I'm so nervous right now...even though my appt isn't for a week. What should I expect for my first visit to the Orthopedic Surgeon to be like? I also wanted to find out what some of you were telling me about assistance from the state. If I have to end up getting surgery and I can't get my short term disability through work for over a month....is there something out there from the government that would help me out in the mean time? Where would I find that type of info out? Thank you for all of your knowledge....its comforting to have such great guidence from all of you out there that have "been there done this" before!!!! May god bless all of you today and help your pain ease away for an undertermined amount of time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

Valley HB User
Lightbulb Re: Scheduled appt for Orthopedic Surgeon....Now What???

Well, first I think they will probably get a medical history on you, maybe some x-rays, and then an exam. Have a list of questions you need answers too, and they will maybe want some more test. Don't worry. Valley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Scheduled appt for Orthopedic Surgeon....Now What???

Department of Social/Human Services

Social Security Office

State Disability Office

The surgeon will go over all of your tests, order tests if you need them and have you fill out paperwork. You should take a list of questions with you, concerns that you have. Don't let them brush you aside, time is valuable to them, but this is your body. Our's took about five minutes with my husband before jumping to a surgery date. They will offer you option and alternatives, but since you are at a surgeon'f office, their livlihood depends on surgery.

I would get more than one opinion.

take care,

Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
(female)

diva78 HB User

Thank you so much for your help.....I'm not wanting to get cut on...but if its the only way to get relief...I guess I'll have no choice. I have a tear in my disc that is leaking fluid onto my spine....anyone have a tear similar? I am wondering what all of my options will be...for a tear that is. Guess I'll just have to wait for tomorrow afternoon to roll around. I don't care if my work fires me......I need to ge the help that I need....If it happens,...it happens, you know? god will take care of me...he always does.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
Actually I think that is actually how they all start is with a big ole tear.
Anyway I am scheduled for my cervical fusion now, had lumbar last summer for what started as a tear last march and now there is basically nothing left in the disc. I hope you get your answers tomorrow.
shelley

Old 03-29-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

myspine & i have discussed this stuff before...

i actually had an idet (my last non-op option) for my tear, but it's only for lumbar. so far so good. what's important for you is to really contemplate the options placed before you and decide what's best for YOU. some of us have been in pain for YEARS, so nothing wrong with taking your time on this one.

i know this is too late for the 1st visit, but hopefully it'll help for the next. good luck, and le us know how you're doing!!!
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 04-01-2005, 06:26 AM   #7

siberiandog HB User
Talking Re: Scheduled appt for Orthopedic Surgeon....Now What???

[QUOTE=diva78]I'm so nervous right now...even though my appt isn't for a week. What should I expect for my first visit to the Orthopedic Surgeon to be like? I also wanted to find out what some of you were telling me about assistance from the state. If I have to end up getting surgery and I can't get my short term disability through work for over a month....is there something out there from the government that would help me out in the mean time? Where would I find that type of info out? Thank you for all of your knowledge....its comforting to have such great guidence from all of you out there that have "been there done this" before!!!! May god bless all of you today and help your pain ease away for an undertermined amount of time! [/QUOTE]

hi diva when u see orthopedic surgeon,ask him for a (vot) slip(verification of treatment) u need this to start paperwork for state disability,this will give you some supplemental income,until u can go to work again,as soon as u get it,turn it in to member services,i have kaiser permanente in california,it takes about 3weeks or 4 before u will get first check,its not alot but it sure helps,if you need more info,just ask,ill try to monitor next few days on here to help ya,hope this helps you,hang in there,its going to be ok))

Old 04-01-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
(female)

SadieNY HB User

Hi Diva hope all goes well or has gone well. I can understand your being scared and what not one never knows what will happen when they 1st see their back doc. I know what is going on with my back and I still get nervous when I see him lol. This is the start and such they will do a medical info and I would dare say Xrays most have that machine right in their offices so should get that today and you will get to walk heel to toe and all the fun tests

Relax and think ok I am in my way to a pain free life try not to worry that it is going to end in surgery it may and it may not. Everything is going to be ok sweetie

Hugs

Closed Thread