It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

Stageevie HB User
WOW!!! Surgery this Thursday!?!

I just contacted my neurosurgeon's office. The operator said my surgery had been scheduled and she would put me through to the person who schedules the surgeries. I asked if she could tell me the date and she said Thursday, March 24. I had heard nothing from the office since my appointment two weeks ago.

The person who schedules the surgeries was not there -- got her voice mail. Is this normal to discover you're surgery is three days away; and only when you phone them? This is a big practice -- 6 neuros on staff -- but I am a bit shocked.

Evie

Old 03-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: WOW!!! Surgery this Thursday!?!

Would not think that it is "normal" practice but must wonder what they would have done come Thursday and no one still had not called you and the doc is at the hospital waiting for their patient. If your visits were reflective of this person's scheduling surgery, then you may want to rethink who you are dealing with. But as long as you are confident in the doctor and pleased with the care they have provided, just rack this (failure to notify you) up as one of those human errors where someone else let something fall through the cracks. Just hope you aren't taking an Nsaid's as they normally want you to be off those at least 7-8 days prior to surgery so yo don't run as big a chance of a major bleed.

Wishing you the best in your surgery and recovery. Be sure to let us know how you are doing when you are feeling up to it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Oh my
Do you have to go in for a pre op visit with with your doctor before surgery?
I am sure that made you a bit anxious to know you were scheduled and never even heard from them. What about your pre op at the hospital? Sometimes I think some doc office people forget that they are dealing with people who are human beings with families, jobs, and things outside of their schedules. I hope it works out for you. What are you scheduled for? Did you have any idea that it would be this soon?
shelley

Old 03-21-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

This does not sound normal. I wonder if someone didn't do their follow up like they were supposed to (Meaning the person in the drs office didn't contact you like they should have). I know I had to get all my pre-op stuff FINISHED 72 hours prior to surgery. Did you and your Dr already discuss surgery and the risks?
Anyway, how do you feel about this? Don't be afraid to voice your opinion to the staff if you need more time to prepare.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

Stageevie HB User

I am having a microdiscectomy to remove disc matter on the nerve root at L5/S1. I have my preop on Wednesday morning. The surgery is scheduled as an outpatient surgery on Thursday morning.

My surgeon talked to me very little about the surgery, but his nurse discussed it with me at length. I wasn't sure what questions to ask at that time though. I have another meeting with the nurse and the doctor on Wednesday morning.

The shock of finding out so quickly has just thrown me a bit. I still haven't reconciled the information.

My daughter has a starring role in an opera 10 days after the microdiscectomy. They did tell me that as long as I sat in the back, and could alternate my sitting and standing, and didn't drive, I would probably be able to attend. What are your experiences postop?

Thank you so much for your responses. I feel like I would go insane without this board. I have learned so much.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I had a micro in 2002 at the same level-I actually don't remember how I felt ten days after! I stayed in the hospital for two days though-I wish I could help with that, but if they said it'd be okay, I am sure it will be. Just be sure to take it easy and don't push yourself. Your body will need rest after surgery. Sorry i couldn't help more, but I wish all the best for yoU!

Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #7

vickic HB User

I had a microdiscectomy about 6 months ago. At 10 days post op, I was able to ride in a car and sit for short periods with little problems. We all heal differently, but you have a good chance of being able to attend the opera. Just take it easy. You will probably start to feel pretty good in a few weeks. That's when you might be tempted to overdo it. Listen to your body. If something makes it not feel right, don't do it. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:33 PM   #8
(female)

Stageevie HB User

Thank you so much for all the encouragement and help.

Vicki, I'll just hope that my m/d goes as well as yours.

Thursday seems to the be the big day for me...the bed store is also delivering my new mattress. So I'll come home from surgery to a new mattress. I hope that's okay , although my mattress now is totally worthless. It's twelve years old .

Evie

Old 03-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

mydogsobe HB User

Hopefully for you your surgery will be on the 24th.
Mine was supposed to be on march 30th then reacheduled for April 15th because of some new Insrtuments that will help with my surgery now they called today and rescheduled for the end of April because now the doc needs to go to a confrence to learn how to use the instruments.
I just hate waiting it killing me!!!!

Old 03-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #10
(female)

Stageevie HB User

[QUOTE=mydogsobe]..[I].now they called today and rescheduled for the end of April because now the doc needs to go to a confrence to learn how to use the instruments.
I just hate waiting it killing me!!!![/[/I]QUOTE]

That must be awful. I can't imagine having to be continually rescheduled like that. I hope the new equipment will be worth it.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #11
(female)

Noodle1104 HB User

Hello. Reading your post made me register to this website. I have a m/d on Wends the 23rd. I just found out last Friday. I am freaking out too! I can handle surgery bc I have had many for other things. But back surgery being a single mom of a 16 mth old is scary. They said I can not lift her for 8 weeks. Which means I can not leave my apt. for 8 weeks bc my daughter has to go with me everywhere bc I am a single mom. I only know what my doc told me and have never met anyone who has had this surgery. Good Luck with yours I will pray for us both

Old 03-22-2005, 03:49 AM   #12
(female)

Stageevie HB User

Noodle,

I will pray for you too. I had an emergeny appendectomy -- it had ruptured -- when my daughter was 15 months old. I had peritonitis so I was in the hospital for two weeks. I wasn't a single mom, but my husband had to go to work all day.

Not being able to lift my daughter was challenging!!! One of the most difficult things was getting her out of her crib. She hadn't started to get out on her own yet, so I put a chair near the crib and helped guide her out to the chair, then the floor. I also had a little kid size table and I moved it into the kitchen so she could eat at that (there was no way I was going to be able to help her get into the high chair). Do you have family that can help with baths? Have tons of diapers, and anything else you can think of that you may need, at waist level.

I hope you have help for the first couple days. Are you having a general? I know a general effectively knocks me out for at least 24 hours -- my husband says I talk to him, but I have absolutely no recall .

Best of luck to you!!! At least a little one is so entertaining who needs television <g>.

Evie

Old 03-22-2005, 04:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Hi Evie,

Man - It's a good thing you called them, sounds like they were gonna Rock 'n Roll without you!

I don't think this is normal - probably a HUGE miscommunication within this ofc

Just wanted to wish you LOTS of Luck and let you know we're all here pulling for you especially these next few anxious days.

Hugs,
BionicWitch

Old 03-22-2005, 04:46 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Noodle,

Welcome to the boards - we're VERY glad you posted.

Being here will help you learn more and hopefully lesson your worries.

I do hope you have some help w/your baby after sx ~ we wish you well and again, welcome

Closed Thread