It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

Disc HB User
Nerve Root Block and Leg Pain

Yes now i got the proper name for the procedure Nerve Root Block Injection .
Any one can share experience with this solving Disc Herniation L5S1 and the leg pain and Stabing Back Pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: Nerve Root Block and Leg Pain

Hi there
Are you having a nerve root block? I am the queen of injections. If there is an injection out there ....I have had it. the nerve root block is not bad, i had it without sedation, although I would not advise it that was not fun. But it will give you at least an instant indication if that is the problem. The lidocaine the inject into and around the nerve will numb that area and nerve so if that nerve is causing the actual problem it may go away but unfort. it may only last 30 min. or may not work at all. It does work for some people so it is worth a try. If they are doing it for diagnostic reasons then it is useful if it is to Treat the problem then the long term effect is usually not very successful.
Hope this helps.
shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 AM   #3
(male)

Disc HB User

[QUOTE=myspine]Hi there
Are you having a nerve root block? I am the queen of injections. If there is an injection out there ....I have had it. the nerve root block is not bad, i had it without sedation, although I would not advise it that was not fun. But it will give you at least an instant indication if that is the problem. The lidocaine the inject into and around the nerve will numb that area and nerve so if that nerve is causing the actual problem it may go away but unfort. it may only last 30 min. or may not work at all. It does work for some people so it is worth a try. If they are doing it for then it is useful if it is to Treat the problem then the long term effect is usually not very successful.
Hope this helps.
shelley[/QUOTE]

Thanks Queen can u elaborate a bit on diagnostic point of view how this can determine that i will require a surgery or not.
As u say it may relieve leg pain but what about back.

Last edited by Disc; 03-21-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
(male)

Disc HB User
Re: Nerve Root Block Injection and Leg Pain

[QUOTE=Disc]Thanks Queen can u elaborate a bit on diagnostic point of view how this can determine that i will require a surgery or not.
As u say it may relieve leg pain but what about back.[/QUOTE]

What happened no takers for this question.
Pls answer.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
I am sooo sorry, I was not on the computer until this a.m. , I did not mean to leave you hanging. Anyway, they do a nerve block and that will tell them immediately by the local if that nerve is affected. Now if the local wears off and the block does not work past say 3 hours then they may order a discogram to see if that particular disc is causing a problem with that nerve. Now sometimes the nerve blocks can be successful in treating pain for awhile. But usually the nerve block is used to pinpoint which nerve root if any is being affected. Did you have an MRI that is showing impingemnet?
When I had the nerve block on the cervical area I had no relief , but that just meant to go on to the next test.... the discogram and that showed it was in fact the disc that was shot and not the nerve.
O.k. I hope I did not leave you hanging here to long and I will check back for any questions you may have.
I have also had the ESI,Facet blocks and Medial branch blocks, So if you get set up for any of those ....Well I know those too!
Take great care of yourself and check back with me.
Shelley
P.S. Does not do a lot for the back pain though

Last edited by myspine; 03-22-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
(male)

Disc HB User

Thanks again Queen for getting back as far as your question goes ,Did you have an MRI that is showing impingemnet? Yea i did have a MRI which says small disc herniation at the L5/S1 level which abuts but does not significantly compress the right S1 nerve root in the lateral recess.
You wrote:
they do a nerve block and that will tell them immediately by the local if that nerve is affected. What are the symtoms for a immediate possitive or neagative results.will there be any relief to back also.
Thanks again

Old 03-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
If the local works immediately then it shows right then that the nerve is affected. But the nerve root block will not help the actual back pain. They use ESI injections or Facet injections to help that. My lumbar mri did not show impingement on the last one before my fusion, but i had already had most of the disc removed 12 years prior , but when he got in there to remove the disc the scar tissue and disc material had basically crushed the nerve and it had been like that for about 12 years leaving me with irreversible nerve damage. When they released the nerve everything went crazy and now I am left with other problems. i am having a trial of a spinal cord stimulator put in next week to see if this helps to stop the nerve pain. The fusion did stop the horrific back pain that i have lived with through my entire 20's and the early part of my 30's. So I guess there is a trade off. If the treatment would have been earlier then I would be better off.
Good luck to you
Shelley

Old 03-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #8
(male)

tracer HB User
Lightbulb Re: Nerve Root Block and Leg Pain

umm i dunno but if it will stop my lower leg and foot pain ill take some i cant get nothing but more and more pain meds,pls let me know how they work

Old 03-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #9
(male)

Disc HB User

If the local works immediately then it shows right then that the nerve is affected.
What does this mean the pain in the leg will go immidately while the injection is injected in or will go after some days.

Let me add to this what i have learnt till date from my Cryo is that i have disc herniation wher my disc abuts or pinchs my nerve which runs thru to my foot .now when i will be given a shot in the spine this nerve block injection for diognosis of this problem ,my nerve will be given some sort of injection and it will become numb due to some anisthatic composition,a numb nerve will not have pain it is obvious but when this effect of anisthatic thing goes away the pain will reimerge so where is the theory of dignosis of this thing immediately.
secondly if disc is doing something to nerve how can a injection near the nerve can effect disc to not to press on it.

Last edited by Disc; 03-23-2005 at 02:04 PM.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
(male)

Disc HB User

Where r u Queen of Injections.?

Old 03-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
(female)

jchernyb HB User

I think I finally found someone who can relate to the pain that I am trying to describe. I have such excrutiating pain down both legs and in the groin and pelvic area. MRI shows nerveroot hitting at L3-L4 and compressed disc at L5-S1. I have not gotton up the courage to have the discogram yet but I am sure it wont be long. When I sit for a long time, I cant hardly get up from a chair. I cant stand for any period of time. Both of my legs sometimes feel like they are falling off, if you know what I mean. I take Vicodan 500mg when the pain really gets bad. I have a VERY hard time sleeping at nite. Both legs feel like, gee how can I describe it---like a dull toothache, and I just cannot find a comfortable position to sleep. Any feedback would mean the world to me----

Old 03-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #12
(male)

Disc HB User
Angry Re: Nerve Root Block and Leg Pain

[QUOTE=jchernyb]I think I finally found someone who can relate to the pain that I am trying to describe. I have such excrutiating pain down both legs and in the groin and pelvic area. MRI shows nerveroot hitting at L3-L4 and compressed disc at L5-S1. I have not gotton up the courage to have the discogram yet but I am sure it wont be long. When I sit for a long time, I cant hardly get up from a chair. I cant stand for any period of time. Both of my legs sometimes feel like they are falling off, if you know what I mean. I take Vicodan 500mg when the pain really gets bad. I have a VERY hard time sleeping at nite. Both legs feel like, gee how can I describe it---like a dull toothache, and I just cannot find a comfortable position to sleep. Any feedback would mean the world to me----[/QUOTE]

Yes i can feel it it is undescriable pain constant ,nagging, achy, stabbing, fire inside and what not

Old 03-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
Unfortun. it will probably not give you long relief if you have actual nerve root impingement. If the disc is impinging the nerve it will numb the nerve long enough to tell them that. The most benefit I got was one time I had a medial branch inject along with 2 indiv. nerve root blocks. I thought it was a miracle. I was so happy it was 12/31/ 04 and I got up and said I could not believe this actually worked after all the injections I had this worked, but that was very short lived and 3 hours later it was back just as bad, now I do not have nerve impingement anymore this is irrev. nerve damage. So you see it just pinpoints which nerves are involved. It is possible to get NO relief at all, that is when they pull out the old discogram to see if the disc is causing all the pain.
shelley

Old 11-04-2011, 04:38 AM   #14
(male)

jonaartist HB User
Talking Re: Nerve Root Block and Leg Pain

Hi Everyone i have just had a nerve block for my L5 S1 problem
i was getting really bad pain in my left leg and walking up slight inclines was very painful it was getting me so depressed it was like having constant nagging tooth ache in my left leg day and night and i was horrible
the nerve block was very painful because the doctor got that close to my nerve he must of touched it and it send a electric shock through my left leg it was pain like no other thank god it lasted about a second though
its my 3rd day now after the injection and i must admit i feel great and weird that 90% of the pain has gone its close to a miracle to me i just hope it lasts

Last edited by jonaartist; 11-04-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #15
(male)

jonaartist HB User

[QUOTE=jonaartist;4873343]Hi Everyone i have just had a nerve block for my L5 S1 problem
i was getting really bad pain in my left leg and walking up slight inclines was very painful it was getting me so depressed it was like having constant nagging tooth ache in my left leg day and night and i was horrible
the nerve block was very painful because the doctor got that close to my nerve he must of touched it and it send a electric shock through my left leg it was pain like no other thank god it lasted about a second though
its my 3rd day now after the injection and i must admit i feel great and weird that 90% of the pain has gone its close to a miracle to me i just hope it lasts[/QUOTE]
This is day 4 since my nerve block injection on L5 S1 area sorry to say this but all my pain in my left leg and lower back has now returned :-(

Closed Thread