It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User
I am getting nervousssssss

Hey everbody, I am getting so nervous about my surgery on Friday. Can anybody tell me what will happen in Pre-Op.. I have to be there like 7am and my surgery is at 10am.. Tracy

Old 03-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: I am getting nervousssssss

Pre-0p is sooo boring!! Here is what I did:
Went into the room and laid down on the bed. I was given a gown to change into and a pair of ted hose. I had my IV started, vitals taken, then the anesthesiologist came in, listened to my lungs and so forth. Then, I just laid there waiting for my turn! When my hubby had outpatient surgery, we were in preop for over an hour, with mine, about thirty mins. It is freezing in there usually and that sucks, but I just kept asking for blankets.
Oh, they will ask you when you had your last meal and drink, they'll ask for a list of meds, when you had a bm and so on. WE all are nervous before surgery, I took a nice long hot bath the nite before, shaved real good, and sat in quiet in a dark bathroom with lavender candles. Maybe you could get a manicure and pedicure. Even if you can't have polish on (I was allowed, but didn't ) you can get them prettied up. It might be a while before you can reach those tosies. I still have a hard time reaching mine and my surgery was three months ago. Best wishes to you for a safe surgery and speedy recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

Stageevie HB User

Mel,

I know I am showing my ignorance here, but what are ted hose?

Thanks,
Evie

P.S. Tracy, I am nervous too. My surgery is Thursday.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

Valley HB User
Talking Re: I am getting nervousssssss

Hi, I understand your nervousness, but before you know it , it will be all over, and you will be on your way to better days. Ted hose are long tight stockings that come to the very top of your leg, with a hole in the toe so that they can check your circulation. Valley

Old 03-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

valley is right. They aren't fun but not horrible either. They also come in knee height, though most in hospitals are "thigh hi". I had mine on for the first three days after surgery, then I took them off! I kept them though incase I ever took another long or overnight flight. When we flew to cancun it was a redeye and my legs were horribly swollen, it actually scared me. So, next time, I will wear the hose under my clothes to ease swelling.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Well, I am glad I will have something on my legs. And I too am the type be cold.. Do they put me asleep in that room? And will I remember going down the hall to the OR? Sorry I have so many questions.. But I am the type of person that likes to know every last detail of everything,. When I tell a story I tell you everything. lol. Just wait till i get back, oh boy i will have a story that will full up the whole page and maybe more. .lol. love ya tracy

Last edited by arkansas_tracy; 03-21-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

you'll be awake until you are on the OR table. I remember chatting with the nurses, making a comment on how cold it was. Then, I woke up a day later and it was over. I don't even remember the day of surgery after they put me out, and barely the next day either. Don't worry about asking questions, there are never "too many".

Old 03-21-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Oh my goodness, i will remember going into the or WOW.. omgodnesssssss.... Wow I have never seen an actual OR room.. Will they get me up that day of my surgery? I will have my surgery around 10am. I go home Saturday. Not sure what time though.. Hey but i do have a question, after watching all this Terri Shavio stuff. Do I need to type out something on what I want if something does happen to me in surgery? I wouldn;t want my mother to know I did it.. Can I give it too the nurse when I go in the pre-op room?? Thanks Tracy

Old 03-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

HI Tracy,
I was given a mild sedative, usually "Versed" AKA (The Amnesia Drug), if they see your really anxious they will have the anesthesia person give you something to calm you down, then you won't care what happens and depending on what they give you, you can even take a nap. I just watched people come and go.
I even saw my Doctor. He came over to me and held my hand and said he was going to take good care of me and smiled.
You'll know it's your turn when about 10 people surround your bed asking questions from every angle. Those are usually the same ones who go in with you and stay with you, they will all introduce themselves.
Yes, it is freezing in there, but there is a blanket WARMER and boy does THAT FEEL GOOD!!
Normally you don't get up till the next morning.
As I mentioned above, they can give you a sedation in the holding area, but the actual Anesthesia to put you to sleep isn't given until your in the OR, asked to scoot over onto the other gurney.
If you keep glancing at your IV, you'll see when they are putting meds in there and next thing you know you'll be awake and in recovery. Most likely won't remember anything, including going to sleep.
Also my Dad collects my stockings when I am released from the Hospital, he is almost 70 and he wears them when he drives on long trips.
I hope this helps,
Stardust

Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #10
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Thank ya so much, i am enjoying reading all these stories i love it! keeping telling me more, Thanks again, Tracy

Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 AM   #11
(female)

Stageevie HB User

Goodness, I'm having an [I]outpatient[/I] microdiscectomy. I was told "[I]if all goes well[/I]" I would be out of bed in the early afternoon after the general wears off. I am the third case of the morning, and need to be at the hospital by 8 a.m., but I don't know when my surgery is scheduled. I was told I would be going home that evening.

Is there any easy way to get out of a non-hospital bed after surgery? I am nervous about that. How long before they allow you to sit longer than 15 minutes.

I'll let you know how things go, as soon as I can.

Evie

Closed Thread