It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User
Living will????

Would it be a good idea to type a living will before I go the hospital friday? just wonedering?

Old 03-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
(female)

Valley HB User
Exclamation Re: Living will????

Hi, it's a good idea to have one at all times, not just going into surgery. I don't have one yet, but intend to, because of the case in Florida, don't want that to happen to me, not that my husband would, but I want my wishes known.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: Living will????

You can get forms for your state off the internet. Some of them have to be notorized. My PCP has a copy of mine.
fly

Last edited by flyonthewall; 03-22-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

I saw on the news that you need three forms, living will, power of attorney, and something else. Is it that easy to get off the internet? I am scheduled for another surgery and a SCS trial and hopefully the perm one that will be another surgery, I did not know it was that easy. here in TX they do not have to be notorized. ( I do not think). I plan to get them filled out as well.
shelley

Old 03-22-2005, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

texasmary HB User

They gave me a chance to sign some forms at the hospital before my surgery, but my husband and I didn't really look at them... since we already have power of attorney, living wills, and regular wills signed. I'm sure the hospital will have these forms, but you may be so rushed on the day of surgery that you will not have time to look at them properly. You mentioned not wanting to give a copy to your mother (maybe upsetting her?), but you could always give one to a trusted friend before going to the hospital. I did that once when I was single and didn't want to upset my parents. You will be in my prayers. Philipians 4:6-7.

Mary in Texas

Last edited by texasmary; 03-22-2005 at 03:40 PM.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

The hospital asked me to complete one pre-op (they had given us the forms during my pre surgery work-up exam). They had a notary at the hospital. We took it as a good time to make sure everyone in the family knew what everyone else' wishes were.

In Arizona there is a registry where you can file your living will and carry a card that lists what you want done in the event of an emergency, so that the question doesn't end up in the hands of the court. I think that with all the publicity right now they are making it pretty easy to find the do-it-yourself forms. Just make sure that they are witnessed or notarized and that they can be found in the event that the unthinkable happens.

Here is to praying that we won't need Living Wills Anytime Soon,
Michelle

Last edited by Administrator; 04-06-2005 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Please let her rest in peace, and don't use her for an object lesson. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Yes I feel like my mother would be too upset make the decision, so I would want my brother or my mother's first cusion to do it.. My brother is a deputy sherriff, so he knows how to handle to situations in saddness and etc. And I am not sure if my mother could, she might but not sure.. When I get to the hospital I will see what I can find out.. Thanks everybody. .Love Tracy

Old 03-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I work in a hospital and believe me there are many worse case scenarios where there is no family, no Advanced Directives, and life and death decisions have to be made by the treatment staff. I think it's a good idea to indicate what treatment you want and don't want while your able to. I feel it's way too rushed to fill out the forms at the hospital unless that's the only time you have to do it. You can not assume that the hospital has previous forms that you signed either. It's best to bring the signed forms with you and have them put directly into your chart.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-06-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #9

sheltie fan HB User

When I had my surgery scheduled at the end of February and did my preop before it got cancelled, Baptist Hospital in NLR gave me a living will in a pack with other information.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Oh now I like that Sheltie.. But see I have not had a pre-op appt, I mean I talked to the nurse in Dr Mason office. But I have not been to the hospital admission for pre=op.. Will I do all that Fri morning when I go?

Old 03-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #11

sheltie fan HB User

You may do it Friday, but that's not how they were going to do with me. Both the surgery that was postponed and the one I have scheduled for in April had me come in like three days before the surgery date. My doctor's office called me with the appt. Maybe since your not having fusion surgery, they will do it Friday. Oh, Dr. Mason has a good reputation in town. Hope things go well with your surgery.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Tracy,

I have one, everyone is right - the hospital will provide you with one if you ask. They most likely will even offer to help you create one.

I made mine myself on a pc program you can get called "Will Maker" It was VERY simple - and within 5 or 10 minutes and some multible choice questions I had a will, affadavit for my hubby to be "My Voice" in all that may need to be dealt with. It has a very detailed "HealthCare Directive" that allows you to leave precise answers to many situations that could occur.

GOOD LUCK with your surgery!
Bionic

Last edited by Administrator; 04-06-2005 at 09:29 PM.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

The instructions for the living will, for your state, can be gotten can be gotten off the internet. I just checked things off and had to have two witnesses. And you need to have multiple copies. I've had the hospital go through the motions of asking if I had one but they never offered to help me do one. I think you need a lawyer for the power of attorney.
fly

Old 03-23-2005, 06:56 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Dealing in Pa. HB User

Living Wills Are Great To Have, But If You Want To Save A Few Bucks, Give Full Power Of Attorney To Someone You Trust. I Had One Filled Out Giving My Wife Full Power Of Attorney Which Includes Making Medical Decisions For Me In Case Something Went Wrong. Just Be Clear Of Your Wishes With The Holder.

Closed Thread