It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

rosette HB User
Post Op pain?

Hi there,

I'm new to the board but have been reading everyone's experiences prior to my laminectomy disktomy surgery on Feb. 24th. Reading everyone's post really helped prepare me for surgery and post surgery. It has almost been 4 weeks since my laminectomy disktomy on L5-S1. Prior to surgery I had increasing pain in my left leg for 8 months. The last two months the pain turned into horrible sciatica. I could barely walk, sit and couldn't stand up straight...the last two months I spent most of my day laying on my side. This was particuliarly difficult because I'm a stay at home mom for a 23 month old. Anyway, the surgery seems to have gone well. The first week I still felt some residual pain in my leg and foot but nothing like the pain prior to surgery. By the 2nd week post op I was almost pain free and even stopped taking Ibruprofen for 2 days. So I started going for 30 minute slow walks every day and I was feeling really good - no pain during or after the walks. Then by the 5th day of walking I began to feel a very slight soreness in the back of my leg almost like the intial pain I had in the very beginning. My leg also began to feel slight aches. Nothing like prior to surgery but still it worries me because the 2nd week post op I was almost pain free. But now I feel a little pain. I'm back to taking Ibruprofen but only 400 or 600 mg once a day and that takes the pain away. Is it normal to have slight pain return this way? Could I be feeling pain because I've become more active and maybe my nerves or muscles are reacting to me being more active? Has anyone had a similiar experience after having a laminectomy disktomy? Thanks in advance for any response. I pray that everyone out there is keeping their spirits up and that their pain is managable.

Rosette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
(male)

tracer HB User
Exclamation Re: Post Op pain?

heh i had nearly same thing now i have found i have terrible lower leg pain when walking and tingles and drop foot,come to find out my surgen flushed my spine with a steriod/antibiaiotic/who knows wat else it hid my nerve damage for about 6 wks.i still had a limp when walking but no nerve pain,now walking is quite the chore and i am fixing to make a post to see if walking should be so painful while walking,i would suggest u work hard to strenthen ue lower leg mussels.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Post Op pain?

Rosette, don't panic. Surgery is still very fresh for you and it is normal to have residual pain from nerves that were compressed, or moved during the surgery. Back off on walking for a couple or 3 days, then go back but walk for only 15 minutes for several days. If you have no pain from it, then increase by 5 minutes every few days. The walking is very good for you, but you may be pushing too hard too fast. The key is to listen to your body...the pain is telling you to slow down.

If the pain gets worse in spite of these precautions, then it is time to talk with your doctor about it.

Hope it all settles down nicely and you have a completely uneventful recovery from here it.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 03-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

After my discectomy I was doing great, then I had a minor car accident (I was not driving) three months after. 24 hours later I felt like i had never had the surgery. I went to see my dr and he assured me I had not reinjured myself. He said that after surgery, the nerves aren't stretchy or flexible like they were prior b/c of scar tissue. So, anytime I would move unexpectedly (car accident, a slip, stepping wrong, etc..) I could have recurrent sciatica. I did have an MRI later cause I just wasn't sure, and I had not reherniated. I found that I always had some pain, but it was manageable with motrin, heating pads, ice packs and even light massage. If I overdid anything I could hurt more. So taking some time off and resting is a great suggestion. Give your body time to heal, there is no "healing" timeframe that we all fall into. I would say if fusions take one year to eighteen months, then give a discectomy/lami six months to a year. Just a thought. I hope you get to feeling better though, and carol makes a good suggestion on the walking.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

Tesla HB User

I had my surgery on 4-12-2007 and I'm wondering if anyone has had weird muscle spasms in other parts of their body? My right arm keeps twitching and my surgery was for sciatica relief with 2 herniations at L-3 ,L-4 and L-5,S-1. Also I see what they mean by take baby steps. Doing anthing of too much can get you sore!!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

awsam007 HB User

Hi Rosette. I can't answer your question b/c my surgery isn't until 4.26.2006 and I'm having a level 1 fusion, but I noticed you're a SAHM mom too. We have something in common. My baby is 14 months old and I'm a SAHM too! I've had 3 herniated discs since my baby was 5 months old so I know how challenging it can be taking care of a child and also dealing with back pain. Good Luck to you!

Closed Thread