It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
(male)

tracer HB User
Question a question about drop foot?????

i have mild drop foot but attn was called to this not from the 6 months of limping and numbness before my surgery but by the extrem pain i have when walking after surgery. every step is painful and i just wonder is this normal for one with drop foot i would gladly take the numbness back,at least i could get around,i really sux to trade horrible back pain for horrible leg and foot pain,i try to tell surgen that my lower leg and foot only hurts when i walk and tingles wit a fuzzy feeling while im sitting or lying sometimes i have saitic pain while at rest but it dont compare to my pain walking and he just ups my pain meds,just wonder is this walking pain normal????god bless us all and ty for the support this form offers:tracer

Old 03-22-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: a question about drop foot?????

Tracer,

Does the doc offer any reason for this? I've had a number of major spinal surgeries and not once have I been worse, especially for walking, after surgery. In fact, normally, even the first steps after surgery are less painful than before surgery, so this is alarming to me. Glad you have brought it to your surgeon's attention, but just upping the pain meds should not be a sufficient answer.

I believe that I would be insisting on some direct answers from this surgeon, and an explanation as to why more pain now. My drop foot never gave me pain in itself, I just found that I didn't have control to hold it up so with it's dropping effect, I was prone to concern of tripping and was constantly dragging the toe of my shoe. Fortunately that is much improved after this surgery and PT. I hope the same will occur for you. However, in the mean time I know you want some specific answers, and if the surgeon couldn't answer me then I'd be seeing either my primary doctor to see if they could help me with answers, or I'd be getting some second opinions. I hope that you will give your surgeon a call and be firm that you want some explanations and some indications as what and when things will happen now.

Best wishes and I do hope you will keep us informed on how you are doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
(male)

tracer HB User

right out of surgery the back of my leg was killing me and every step was the worst pain i ever had it subsided in a few days of bed rest. but as soon as i first walked a short distance,around 3 weeks post op, at the local walgreens i had bad lower leg pain and felt somthing was wrong,i have complained so much but with no answer except i may have some nerve damage and seem to have slight foot drop,this is a worker comp case and i cant change doctors,my lawyer finaly got aproval for 3 days of phisical therpy i hopeing to get some answer then,i only got 5 phisical therpy visit after surgery lawyer thinks this may be part of my problem,but i truely dont know much except my lower leg hurts when i walk and i limp.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

[QUOTE=tracer]right out of surgery the back of my leg was killing me and every step was the worst pain i ever had it subsided in a few days of bed rest. but as soon as i first walked a short distance,around 3 weeks post op, at the local walgreens i had bad lower leg pain and felt somthing was wrong,i have complained so much but with no answer except i may have some nerve damage and seem to have slight foot drop,this is a worker comp case and i cant change doctors,my lawyer finaly got aproval for 3 days of phisical therpy i hopeing to get some answer then,i only got 5 phisical therpy visit after surgery lawyer thinks this may be part of my problem,but i truely dont know much except my lower leg hurts when i walk and i limp.[/QUOTE]

Sorry you are having such a rough time and facing such limits. Three days of PT doesn't help a lot. Five days after surgery isn't much either, for most back surgeries. Does you lawyer say you may not change doctors? Is this workman comp through private business or state or Federal level workman comp? What about if you saw another doc and used your insurance or paid out of pocket and your lawyer files for workman comp to reimburse for that expense? If you saw another doc and got care which solved the problem, how could they complain? Seems like if that happened, it would bolster your case. Worth discussing with your attorney.

I've dealt with Federal WC and they tried to tell me I had to see certain docs when injured on the job some years ago (not my back). Told them I would see the doc they wanted, but it was my body and my life, and I would also see doc's of my choosing in order to get the best possible care for myself. Suddenly I didn't have to see their docs at all, and things went fairly smoothly throughout that year. Maybe I'm just too big a pain in the butt for them to argue with. Oh well, I learned a long time ago that I had to stand up for myself, so maybe I was dealing with a rep who wasn't used to that. Just glad it worked for me, but I would have been working with a lawyer for the specific law which said I had to see only one doc or a doc of their choosing.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

Tracer,

I too had foot drop prior to microdisectomy, which is why I had the surgery - to save my leg - and though I could lift my toes again after surgery (couldn't prior) I have got more and more pain in my foot and toes since surgery 8 mons ago. I am now on neurontin as the pain got so bad.

My doctor said that the leg/foot/toe pain is due to damage to the sciatic nerve - the L4/L5 disk had herniated onto the nerve - and that this foot drop is rare developing in only 3% of cases or so. He explained to me that in most cases, the nerve is only bruised, but in mine the nerve sheath was punctured.

He told me that it will take a full 3 years for my nerve to heal. I may have some permanent nerve damage.

I too have difficulty getting around. I agree that it is bad enough to have back pain, but this leg and foot pain is much much worse. level 10 at times. stabbing and electrifying. It is more disabling than the back pain.

I am in PT and the doctor told me to keep walking (take pain meds to withstand pain and walk) because he said it is imperative we get that blood flowing and build muscle in order to heal the nerve. I don't know about you, but I can only stand on the leg to a level 6 pain and then have to get off or it shoots to level 9/10.

I would ask your doctor to explain to you why your foot hurts. If it's nerve damage or what. I did another MRI today to see if the disk reherniated and is on the nerve again. If it is, then the nerve won't heal but get worse.

I would be on your doctor about this. Mine has gotten worse and I am now disabled. I cannot work, can barely walk at times, and have to lay down a lot due to pain.

After 6 mons, I did regain some strength in my leg overnigiht. Went from 20% to 50% strength. And the leg pain stopped. And then a month and a half later, BAM, the foot pain shot up to a 10, and came on more often. I don't know if this is the nerve regenerating or waht, but it is truly horrible. On the other hand, I have heard of people with no pain, who said that meant the nerve was dead.

What does the PT say? They sometimes can explain it to you better. you need answers. As do I. Good luck and let us know what you find out. So few people on here have foot drop, that it's hard to find someone who is going through it.

I hope yours doesn't get as bad as mine. Blessings.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
(male)

tracer HB User

hmm ours sound about the same i can walk awhile but it hurts the more i walk the worse it hurts i tried to go to work and after being on my feet for a couple hours i had the worse pain way worse than my back evey was,by the end of my shift i was out of my mind in pain and very tired i just draged my poor foot around wishing i could just cut it off.the next day doctor promtly took me back off work and here i sit bored,i dont go to rehab til monday hope they will help,i will keep updateing.

Closed Thread