It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 02:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Diva ?

Diva,

Just wondering how your Dr's appt went?

Bionic Witch

Old 03-23-2005, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

diva78 HB User
Re: Diva ?

Thank you so much for asking. I'm not in a good mood right now so I logged on for support and here you were asking about me. Thank you so much for that. The doctor was really nice and actually took time to hear me out and addressed all of my concerns. He went over my MRI with me and showed me exactly where my problem was. He wants me to come in as soon as my insurance approves it...for a nerve test??? He's going to do a cortisone shot around the nerves at the same time. Depending on how that test goes...he then wants to do a discogram. He didn't really go into much detail with that procedure. He said after those tests he will have a better understanding of what needs to be done. He did say that he suspects that I'll need to have a discectomy....I believe that is where they shave off the pertrusion? Is that correct? He didn't really go into that because he didn't want to get ahead of himself. I am so depressed though because I don't know how I'm going to do all these things. I have no protection from work.....I need this job...its the only income we have. But I'm in so much pain and want to get my back fixed. Can't do that without a job or insurance.....its just a bad situation. I'm going to talk with my boss next week when he gets back in town. I'm going to beg and plead with him and see if he'll let me work from home or something. He has to consider my health and well being...you would think so anyway. Thank you Bionic for being so concerned...you have no idea how much I appreciate you asking about me. How is your day today...how are you feeling? I hope all is well and you are pain free. Hugs and Kisses.....and God Bless everyone here on the boards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Diva ?

Hi Diva,

Sorry for the delayed reply ~ I was napping

Glad to know at least your doc was one who took a little time to go over things with you! That means so much when we have so many ?'s and fears. The nerve conduction study is NOTHING to worry about - nothing to it.

As for the discectomy....I had a Lami and I believe the differnce in the 2 are that in the Lami, part of the lamina is also removed for decompression.....not real sure honestly the difference in the Lami and what the Dr is suggesting for you - sure the other's who know more than me can clarify this for both of us. Try doing some searches and see what you find, I did look at spine.org/articles/discectomy.cfm and it gives a basic overview. I agree with what the doc said, don't get ahead of yourself in this ~ do the test and concentrate on the next few days (and weeks). Get with your Boss and see what his position is so you'll know where you stand there - even if you have to bite the bullet and somehow manage to work just to keep ins - maybe he'll be understanding? I do know that if you have this sx and if it is the discetomy you could hopefully return to work between 6-8 weeks or so.

Hope your feeling better and your mood is not quite as bad. Your probably frightened and I don't blame you. You have so much going on right now and my heart goes out to you. I totally understand your fears of loosing your job and insurance ~ I wish I had answers for you. I have no idea what type boss you have and whether he'd be willing to work with you on this? Luckily I have an employer who's been wonderful and saw me through the missed days - days there in ice etc.. I am really fortunate in that my employer is also a friend and it's a small company. Even so I pay 1/2 of my medical insurance and if I am unable to work I am unable to generate my 1/2, that's why I still crawl my broken butt to work each day - did have to go down to 4 days a week and I now have Wednesdays off.

We are all concerned and here for you ~
we might not have near all the answers you need
but it always helps to talk about things.

Let me know if you reach an agreement with your boss
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Bionic

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-23-2005 at 10:31 AM.

Closed Thread