It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
(female)

rowboat HB User
I survived my disco!

Thanks all who sent happy thoughts yesterday. It was better than I thought it would be in that it didn't take nearly as long as I thought. I was out of the hosptital in 4 hours (and that includes the hour wait beforehand). Unfortunately, I can't say that the pain part was easy. I told the nurse I've had 3 kids, and that was worse than childbirth! They had to check ALL of my lumbar discs. Even the numbing shots hurt. But whichever one they checked last (I'm betting on L5-S1), was the worst. I thought I was going to die. Fortunately, it doesn't last long. In less than a minute the pain was subsiding. But then they had to give me more sedative because I was having a really hard time getting my breathing under control. And now I'm just really, really sore. So I'm staying home from work today, and I'm taking my Vicodin and life will be good.

So, again, thanks all for your kind thoughts and support. I'm so glad I found this board. You guys are all angels in disguise.

Becky

Old 03-23-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
(female)

diva78 HB User
Re: I survived my disco!

Wow...glad to hear that you managed to make it through. I was just told yesterday that I would have to have that done as well as other tests. I don't like how you are in more pain...but I guess they have to do it to find out exactly where it hurts huh? Best of luck to you and your recovery today. If you need anything...shout! Hugs and kisses....Diva

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Hi Becky!!!!

I AM SO GLAD for you that the Disco is O-V-E-R-!!!

Your description of the test doesn't sound too inviting

~ I understand about the labor at least in labor you get to take something home with you! One of the other's (Sorry I think it was Shelley) had such a great sense of humor she ask'd for a toaster for her trouble.

The test sounds exactly as the other's have described it - no picnic. Mine is next Thursday and I'll expect the worst and hope for the best.

Do you know when you get the results from your Dr? please let us know.

Hope your feeling ok today? and your resting!!!!

Gentle hugs ~
BionicWitch

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-23-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I am glad you "survived". I thought I was dying during mine, and it took 100mg of IV Morphine for me to even be able to relax and get up. I have never cried so hard during a procedure in my life! But, it is over as soon as it starts-glad you are taking today easy and glad you got through it. Now, on to the next step, right?

Old 03-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #5

theworrier HB User

Glad to hear your over it and are ok

Old 03-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

So glad that test is out of your way and you are back home. Now, hope you follow-up visit is soon so you don't have to wait to get the details of the next step that is needed. Keep us up to day and may there be many better days ahead for you.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #7
(female)

jchernyb HB User

Oh wow! I am sooo scared about the disco. I have been told that I am going to have to have one to find out where all of the pain in my pelvic and groin area and then radiating down both legs is coming from. I know I will finally get so fed up with the pain that I will breakdown and get this disco done. My pain threshold is about 0. I pray every nite that I get the courage to get this done. I have nerveroot hitting at L3-L4 and compressed disc at L5-S1, which, I believe also, is where all of the pain is coming from. I think that sciatica nerve is compressed there. Will be very interested to hear the results of your test. Please let us know!

Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

[QUOTE=jchernyb]Oh wow! I am sooo scared about the disco. I have been told that I am going to have to have one to find out where all of the pain in my pelvic and groin area and then radiating down both legs is coming from. I know I will finally get so fed up with the pain that I will breakdown and get this disco done. My pain threshold is about 0. I pray every nite that I get the courage to get this done. I have nerveroot hitting at L3-L4 and compressed disc at L5-S1, which, I believe also, is where all of the pain is coming from. I think that sciatica nerve is compressed there. Will be very interested to hear the results of your test. Please let us know![/QUOTE]

Please do find the courage. Yes, the pain may be greater for a few seconds for each level tested, but it does need to be done. If you have a compressed nerve, and it does sound like it is likely, it needs to be identified. If you've not read my posts in the past, according to my doc, the longer you wait, the less chance for a full recovery of feeling and loss of pain. Didn't know that from my first doc and I struggled along way too long and will have numb toes the rest of my life. The guide he gave me was that if the compressed nerve gets relief/repair within the first 6 months there pretty much a chance for full recovery, but it drops to 75 percent at 9 months and only 50 percent at one year. Of course that's a guide and how badly it is compressed and many others factors play into it, but don't let fear of a needed test cause you to go too long.

Just remember, you cannot get relief if you don't go through with seeing the doc and having whatever tests are needed, then the big step of doing whatever is prescribed for the diagnosis. Hope you will get that courage soon.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
(female)

jchernyb HB User

Thank you for that encouragement. Well, it has been about a year and a half that I have suffered. My back does NOT hurt--nor do I have any numbness in my legs---just pain in the groin area and it shots down both legs. I have heard that alot of people and worse after back surgery. I think that is what is stopping me. I hope I find the courage.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
(female)

rowboat HB User

Just to give everybody an update...doing much better today. Biggest thing was I was dizzy and nauseous all day. (and all day yesterday, too) I called the nurse today and she said it couldn't have been from the disco and I must just have the flu. But then tonite the follow up nurse called and I told her and she said that was very common. She said the other nurses wouldn't know, because they don't know why it happens, but she said probably 30% of the patients she talks to report similar symptoms. At least I know it's not all in my head.

Thanks again for all your support.

Becky

Old 03-25-2005, 04:58 AM   #11
(female)

jchernyb HB User

Becky, when you feel up to it, how long did it last and was the pain bearable or did you feel like you were dying? Have you ever heard of a PED procedure? (percutaineous endoscopic disectomy) I am willing to give that a try first, after the disco, to see if this will do the trick.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:54 AM   #12
(female)

rowboat HB User

The test itself didn't take long at all. Once I got in there. The numbing shots hurt, but that could be because I was so tense. After that, the actual test hurt, and hurt bad, but the pain started to go away as quickly as it came on, so that was nice. I did feel like I was dying after the last one. They had to give me sedative so I could calm down and control my breathing. Then I was just sore all day the next day. It definitely wasn't fun, but I'm sure the memories will fade....

Bec

Old 03-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

mydogsobe HB User

I'm skipping that procedure and going straight to the fusion. I might be mistaken but It appears to me that a lot of people end up having the fusion eventually anyway right?

Closed Thread