It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

diva78 HB User
Has anyone ever felt this way???

Thanks to Bionic Witch and QuietCook for always having a great attitude and being full of information. There are so many of you so please forgive me if I didnt' mention your name. As I stated in my latest and greatest thread...I went to the Ortho Doc yesterday and he wants me to undergo the nerve test as well as a discogram. Then will probably proceed with a discectomy (spelling?). I am scared and don't know if I'm making the right decision...if I do this. I've heard so many awful stories of people having back pain and then getting surgery and either it didn't work or it made things a lot worse. How did each of you that had surgery...how did you know it was the right thing for you verses just living in pain? I'm by no means in Chronic Pain but it gets really bad some days. I just am so confused...not to mention trying to figure out a way that my boss will let me do all of this that needs to get done and still have a job for myself. Anyone????

Old 03-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Has anyone ever felt this way???

Hon,

Glad you have a new doc and there is a plan in the works. If the tests prove that a diskectomy is needed and you feel confident in this doc, you can make that decision then. I don't really know anyone, including myself who has had a problem with a diskectomy. I've had more than one, and what I can tell you is that I felt absolutely wonderful upon waking from surgery. Of course, I couldn't even stand when the first one ruptured into the spinal cord, and couldn't stand up straight with the other one, unless I stood with one leg off the floor, looking much like a crane. Still, once you have the tests and can see the reports or view the results with your doc, you will then know a lot more and can come to a decision then.

Let us know what you learn and we're here is we can help with questions. Again, so glad you have seen the new doc and a plan is in the works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Dealing in Pa. HB User

I Was Told Something From A Nurse With Over 30 Years Experience Once That Only You Know Your Body. Trust Yourself And Your Instincts And You Will Do Fine. I Had A Discectomy Approx. 10 Weeks Ago, And The Surgery Went Great. I Actually Came Home The Same Evening. My Desicion Was Made After I Could No Longer Stand The Pain. The Surgery Relieved A Lot Of The Pain, But Unfortunately They Discovered A Crushed Nerve Under The Herniation. Gods Speed And I Hope Everything Goes Well!!!

Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
I am glad you got some answers, remember it is always a long road to the path of healing. (sounds corny hun ) Anyway, you will know when it is right, there will be a part of you that says lets do it lets do anything.... When you say I am willing to roll the dice and take the chance because I am tired of living my life like this. Follow your own instinct, and as hard as it is you must just nod you head at what other good intentioned friends and family say, they are not living in your body, you are. Good luck to you and we are always here for you.
shelley

Old 03-24-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
(female)

diva78 HB User

Wow...thanks you guys. Today is a good day and I'm feeling like a new person. Sometimes you just get tired of feeling sorry for yourself and bringing others down with your drama so today I decided NO MORE!!! I picked out a pretty dress to wear to work and I have a smile on my face that everyone has noticed and commented on! Half of the battle is in your own mind....its corny but its true isn't it? It's so easy to get caught up with feeling hopeless and like theres no light at the end of this dard tunnel. But I am living proof that if only for one day...I will be in charge of how I feel. Granted I had to take my meds to feel halfway decent...but if thats what you have to do...do it, right? I pray that everyone on this board gets a great feeling today and has the energy to enjoy the day for what it is......A DAY TO REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE ALIVE AND THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE OUT THERE MORE WORSE OFF THAN YOU. That's what always keeps me counting my blessings. I wish all of you the best for today and everyday. Hugs and kisses.....Diva~

Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Diva,

Sometimes we just hurt so much and so long we can't help but get down a little bit. But, it is good that you picked out that pretty dress and headed yourself off for a better day. That's the way to go girl. Enjoy this Easter weekend and take things just one day at a time. Hope you hae a great day!

Old 03-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Diva,

Thank you for your kind compliment but I don't always have a positive attitude

Like so many of us here, I have my bad attitude days too - my hubby can vouch for that

It gets hard staying positive - especially when your in pain day in, day out.

Now, as for your fears: LET your body tell you when/IF you need to resort to surgery especially if your pain is not chronic and your still are able to manage it. That along with your work situation....all needs to be your decision. I would go ahead with what the Dr is suggesting - as far as the EMG. The disco is usually (but not always) a precursor to surgery - perhaps some of the wiser ones here can add more on this, some studies I have read tend to indicate that you could have worsening pain after a disco? unsure of course if that would apply to you. I guess what I am trying to say is SURGERY is a HUGE decision, not one to make unless you have NO ALTERNATIVE. IF/when the pain becomes untolerable or your condition indicates it's medically needed - I would still use surgery as a last resort only. At any rate hopefully your pain is not so severe in that you must make a quick decision, talk it over with your family and get with your boss and MOST of all get with yourself, if you can not lead a relatively normal life with the pain you have now, then perhaps you need to seriously consider the surgery? You only saw this Dr once - perhaps he's just painting the big picture for you - nobody can make this decision for you and hopefully you'll be able to research your options a little longer.

Will be here when you yell ~
Hope your feeling ok today
BionicWitch

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-24-2005 at 09:20 AM.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Just saw your today post

WONDERFUL to hear YOUR IN CHARGE today!

I am sure you looked beautiful in your dress AND the smile your were wearing.

You have the right mindset now girl - GO GET 'EM ~ With your OWN positive attitude you can accomplish anything.

Glad your having a better day

BW
Pseudoarthrosis
awaiting fusion redo

Closed Thread