It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
3 days without pain pills and having leg pain when laying down.

I was taking aspirin every day most recently. I have a disc protrusion at L5-S1. I have had very minimal leg pain until last night. It's the kind of thing that is bearable during the day but last night my right leg hurt so bad that it felt like I was having a charlie horse on my thigh towards the back and right of my leg. It went away when I took just one aspirin. I guess I will have to take pain pills sometimes. I just hate having to do that. Especially since I walk on my treadmill I like to feel when there is pain so I know if I am pushing too hard or not. Maybe I will just take aspirin before bed. I think the laying down puts more pressure on the nerve.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: 3 days without pain pills and having leg pain when laying down.

You may want to try sleeping on your side with a pillow between the knees and have them slightly bent as though you are going to pull up to the fetal position. The pillow helps to align your spine and relieve pressure. Another position that my spine surgeon recommended right after surgery, in order to reduce pressure on the back, is to place 2-3 pillows below your but at the back of your thigh so that you have your legs on the pillows pretty much as if you are sitting in a chair. That position while lying down really worked for me at that time. Doesn't work right now while I'm healing from a major fusion, but the side works well.

Hope that will help you when the pain hits in bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: 3 days without pain pills and having leg pain when laying down.

That's the weird thing. I have been laying on my side with a pillow between my legs and it has been working great. Last night it did not help at all. I started on my left side with a pillow between my legs then my right side then tried my back with pillow under my legs. Well that scenario kept going and going. It has still been doing better even considering that. I can go all day without pain pills not even an aspirin. It hurts a little but not much. The laying down is the bad part right now. It's weird because when I was having acute pain and could not hardly walk laying on my back was the best position. Now that is the worst.

Closed Thread