It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Tspine???

Maybe I am just digging or searching for something major, but do you think that there is a chance I could have some problem with my Tspine? We all know about my history with low back-that is taken care of right now. We know that I have some issues with my cspine, but nothing so far that drs have been able to say "that is why you hurt". SO, I am wondering, if I had this neck stuff and didn't even know it, do you think it is possible to have THORASIC issues too? Remember, I have a lOT of pain in the clavical areas and scapulas, shoulders and mid to upper back. No one has even looked at those areas. I am thinking about seeing a neuro, and wonder, should I ask for a Thorasic MRI, if nothing else, just to rule it out? We've looked at everything else, what could it hurt??

I have put my body through so much from my work and seven years of cheerleading, it wouldn't suprise me if I had other problems we don't even know about -including the arthritis in every joint, of which hasn't even been diagnosed yet (it isn't so bad that I need a diagnostic drs visit) I just wanted to add that.

Last edited by mel1977; 03-24-2005 at 03:05 PM.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Tspine???

Mel,

It's me weighing in again. Yes, it is possible to have Thorasic issues and not realize that the Thorasic area is the cause of the pain. I had never dreamed that I had Thorasic problems and truly just thought maybe the stenosis was still causing my low back problems. The only change I had complained of was that the same butt pain was now on the right side and I had some bad days with pain just above the waist and knew I didn't have kidney problems.

It blew me away when the doc showed me the film and proclaimed I was his first patient for the Thorasic area to be collapsing like that. Usually the Thorasic remains stable since it isn't weight bearing because our lungs contain air and then we have space in the abdominal cavity, but low and behold, mine was collapsing.

Certainly if you are still having some pain then you should discuss this with your spine doc. Sometimes we have to initiate the inquiry as it may not really have been that big a possibility in the doc's first thoughts. Still, it is worth asking about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

tammys HB User

Mel, I would do as Quietcook suggest and initiate the inquiry. I saw the same doctor from 2001 until just recently and I complained about my neck hurting but because the main focus was on my low back it was never addressed. Now my new doctor has talked at great length with me and the neck pain came up in our conversation. She asked what had been done for that pain and I told her nothing. She said as soon as we get the current problem with my back taken care of, we are going to get started on the neck. Sometimes we just have to push the issue to get it to become an issue.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!

Tammy

Old 03-24-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks, I think I will approach this with a new dr, assuming my other one doesn't get back in touch with me. Part of me would feel funny, but I really need to rule everything out, well, lets just say things that don't feel right like the left side where the first rib is. Thanks for your input-I think though it will be a while before I will be off pain meds, makes me sad but that's the way it is. All I want though is to manage the pain by end of summer when school starts, I have to be able to concentrate fully on school and not pain.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
(female)

girl12345 HB User

It is possible to have problems with the rest of your back. I had back problems for a couple of years. I was in a car accident the end of last year and was immediately put on more medicine. I did reherniate the disk in my lower back. I believe that the medicine masked the pain in my neck because a couple of months later I stopped taking my medicine and within a week I started to have a lot of neck pain and upper back pain. I could bearly hold my head up, at least that is what I felt like. I told the doctor and then had to be treated for my neck. I have since then not stopped taking any of my meds. I would definitely talk to your doctor about your upper back pain. You might have a lot of problems and the meds are masking the pain.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:01 AM   #6

Fly_Girl01 HB User

My Tspine is a complete mess (which hopefully will be fixed next month by my new NS). It will cause pain everywhere. When you take a deep breath, laugh, cough, etc, does it hurt? If so, its mor than likely thorasic since the t-spine vertebrae are connected to the ribs. Ive been dealing with this and quack doctors for a year now, and now my c-spine is messed up, likeley because of the weird ways I have to sit and lay in bed to be comfortable.
I did the same thing as you, quit the meds and sure enough two days later I was laying in bed in pain. Its just so hard to schedule appointments, MRI's, possible surgery, etc in my case because I graduate from college in December and the timing couldn't be worse.
But definately get it checked out, it sounds like the good ole t-spine. And it seems us t-spiners are a rare breed, lol. Good luck.

-Amy
DDD T9-T10
Retrolisthesis L5-S1

Old 03-26-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
(female)

Tirzah HB User

Two weeks ago my dr took me off my pain meds because he said that the meds in my case would give me a false sense of wellness. He said it is like walking on thin ice. He has me trying a tens unit. Still not sure if I like it. Since I am not taking the vicodin anymore I feel more areas of pain. My injuries are in the thorasic spine. My t-9 fracture does give me alot of pain in my 1st rib on the right side(sometimes left too) and it is very difficult to pull my stomach muscles tight. My t-5 and t-6 fractures make my ribs in the middle hurt. My ribs feel very heavy all the time and it is hard to take a deep breath.
Mel- have you ever had a mri of your whole spine done?
Tirzah

Last edited by Tirzah; 03-26-2005 at 04:54 PM.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Mel
They never did a disco on your neck right? Aren't you still having a lot of pain there? I wonder why that has not been ordered yet. when they did mine they found the 3 of the discs had tears 1 was minor, 1 moderate,1 was the grand canyon, yet on the MRI it just looked like some tears, some bulging and some spondy. Do you think that would be in order?
shelley

Old 03-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I have not had the entire spine done on an MRI, just lumbar and cervical. I def think thorasic is in order, considering that the drs don't seem too worried about my neck its self, saying the disc herniation is just simply too small. That is fine, but I got to get this under control. I have decided that I have to give in to using pain meds for now and doing my pt. I will be calling my dr tomorrow to ask again for massage therapy and ultrasound on upper back, shoulders and neck. I might ask if he'd consider a thorasic MRI, if nothing else to rule out problems that could be there. With all I have put my body through since I was fifteen, who knows. You know, my face has sore spots too! My cheeks, the bone at my temple and two spots on my jaw. I don't know if that is from grinding my teeth at night or not though. IN any case, If I don't hear back from him by tuesday night, I will schedule an appt with a neurologist. I am not having luck with ORthos this time around. It is too bad.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

If you're grinding your teeth that bad you can have a nightguard made.
fly

Closed Thread