It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Aspirin imparing healing?

Can aspirin impare healing? I read an article that said that it does. How it delays recovery. What you gain in pain control you lose by delaying healing. I am 4 days without aspirin and I seem to be making quite a bit of progress.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Aspirin imparing healing?

[QUOTE=Kari7171]Can aspirin impare healing? I read an article that said that it does. How it delays recovery. What you gain in pain control you lose by delaying healing. I am 4 days without aspirin and I seem to be making quite a bit of progress.[/QUOTE]

Had not heard that before, but the doc's had my mother taking aspirin after laying her heart out into three pieces to replace two valves. She did great on aspirin instead of the coumadin which caused two more surgeries for bleeding. Those three surgeries were less than 14 months ago and she took care of me after my Dec surgery. Maybe it is a caution notice as one med is good for one person but doesn't work well for the next one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Coumadin is a major anti-coagulant. That definately cause bleeding like you explained. Aspirin is a anti-coagulant also but not as strong. I am comparing aspirin to taking nothing when trying to heal a back injury. A person would heal faster I would think taking nothing. If they are to the point where they can go without pain pills that is. I just feel so much better after not taking any aspirin for 4 days then I did 4 days ago while taking it. I have a disc protrusion that 9 weeks ago I could not walk and has gradually been getting better. Just 4 days ago while taking aspirin I could not sit on my couch for any length of time still and tonight I can sit there just fine. I just mainly am speaking of taking pain pills really long term and how I think it can make a problem worse possibly. So it just seems that after 4 days of not taking aspirin I am doing better then while I was taking it. The pain did get worse for a couple days until my body had a chance to adjust but now is feeling so much better then when I was taking pain pills.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Glad that you are feeling better and if not taking the aspirin works well for you, then that is good.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I've been told tylenol is safe after surgery. Ask your doctor.
fly

Old 03-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

That is what I was planning on taking if I need anything. I am going to try to go without but whenever the pain gets a little worse then tylenol would be a good idea like you say. On days after I exercise on my treadmill I feel little more sore.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #7
(male)

ajd HB User

hi kari iam replying to what you asked about the back spasms on waking i too have this every day and i dread waking up my doctor told me it is partial to my back and also anxiety of not knowing what it is and the pain hope this helps

Old 03-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Yes I was reading that about arthritis also. It increases the rate of cartilage breakdown in joints of people with arthritis. That is also why when I injured my disc I did not let them give me a cortizone shot. I would have if I absolutely had to say if I did not get better at all. It eats away at the cartilage. That is why they can only give about 3 a year. I would think that if a person can that they should let there body fight the problem for a while first. I know my back will be stronger since I did not let them give me the cortizone shot. Have you heard anything about ibuprofen and back pain?I know someone who takes 10 a day and they can't find anything wrong with her back. I think the ibuprofen is actually causing her problem to be worse. She would never listen to that idea though. She also takes 10 tylenol a day. People just don't realize the risks involved because it is over the counter. I swear a couple times when I took the aspirin for my back the pain actually got worse. I wonder if it was making it bleed more or something it was weird.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Tylenol eats the liver. She needs her liver watched.
fly

Old 03-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Yeah she knows it damages the liver. For some reason she has that it won't happen to me attitude. Usually it's kids that have that attitude but she's in her mid 30's and still thinks that way.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:19 AM   #11
(male)

tracer HB User
Talking Re: Aspirin imparing healing?

i still use asprin when i can works better than newer drugs only time i wonder about asprin is with bleeding but if u have better blood flow around a injury seems like it will heel faster.asprin will not prevent cloting unless u take a lot of it.

umm ok open air clotting.

Last edited by tracer; 03-27-2005 at 01:40 PM.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Actually people with heart problems take a very low dose of aspirin every day to prevent a blood clot. So even at low doses it can prevent clotting.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I don't know a lot about the statistics but I would agree that Americans are among the unhealthiest. We have the resources to receive treatment for many different diseases to extend our lives but at the same time we do so many things that cause us to get sick in the first place. I read recently that Americans are the most obese in the world. Causing major health problems. We have unhealthy diets and think that modern medicine will save us when we get sick because we did not take care of ourselves in the first place. It's amazing to think about how much we have at our resources for knowledge about how to be healthy but we so many people eat so much fast food and junk food and don't even realize how bad it is for them. Then all of the sudden people start to wake up and try to sue fast food chains because they have health problems because they are obese and having health problems. Anyway I could go on but this was about Aspirin.

I just know that when I quit taking Aspirin for two days I had withdrawl symptoms. I had pains in my leg that were really bad and I had not experienced before. It was like a charlie horse. I resisted the urge to take more aspirin mainly because I wanted to really know how bad off I was by not masking the pain for a certain amount of time.

Here is another thought. Say Aspirin does not impair healing. It masks the pain so then we push ourselves harder and exercise harder because we do not feel the pain. Do not feel what is really going on in our muscles, discs, ligiments. Then we could end up causing more damage then we realize.

They tell people who are injured not to drink alcohol because it thins the blood and would impair healing. Since Aspirin thins the blood wouldn't it impair healing also?

Closed Thread