It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
I'm Back Online!!

Hey Guy's ,
Got into my new house and everything is back on, almost completely unpacked.
Remember my post before I moved, that I asked my Surgeon for something for pain and he said NO!! He didn't think at 6 weeks out I would be in any pain? So he ordered me to come see him the other day and I did.
He was really nice to me and I told him how bad the spasms were, well anyway, He ask me to get onto the table and lay on my back, he told me everything to do, and I couldn't believe it and neither could he-That I was in so much pain, and the exceriszes he had me do in the office was NOT what physical therapy was doing, he said it just wasted time sending me there, they were WAY off from what I needed.
He has me doing the RIGHT excersizes here at home every night and on April 5th he want's to see how I am doing.
Also that PT had slowed me down from his other patients, but he would be happy to teach me the things I should be doing, then gave me a script for valuims and a short term 6 day Prednasone for the pain, but I turned down the Valuim and told him I would perfer Lortab-they work better, so thats what I got.
He had no problem with the meds after he saw what PT had been doing and when he touched the lower back, pressing on the screws and rods and the muscles around them, he had me jumpy, tense and in tears.
Thats when he realized they were not doing something right.
So Everything is going good, And am Sooo glad to be back.
Stardust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: I'm Back Online!!

Stardust,

So glad you are in your home and all is going better. Thank goodness the doc saw you again or the wrong exercises could have done major harm. That is scary because we trust that they will do what the doctor prescribes. Also happy that he saw that there was a need for medication and hope it will make him check further before flatly turning a patient down in the future.

Looking for happier days ahead for you.

Hope you will begin to soon see major improvements

Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

what the heck were they having you do? It is scary that a PT wouldn't know fusion precautions and so forth. but, I am glad you got to see him and that you got the meds you needed and the right exercises. I don't think I will be doing any pt for my back, post fusion. Neck and stuff sure, but not the back.

Old 03-26-2005, 03:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

What scares me is that nobody talks to anybody else. My surgeon said no therapy for three months. Then, because I live alone, I was sent to rehab for a couple of weeks where they did OT and PT on a daily basis. When I left there they told me to follow up with someone coming to my house. Because my surgeon had said 'nothing for three months' I let that slide. I started regular PT at three months. What kind of a team is it when they don't talk to each other?
fly

Old 03-26-2005, 04:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Welcome Back Stardust

So glad to hear your settled in your new place.

GREAT that your Dr recognized the PT error - hopefully you'll be able to help with recovery better now

We're very glad to have you back.

Bionic

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-26-2005 at 04:02 AM.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:51 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Fly,

Glad to say that not all teams don't talk to one another. The practice my doc is in sends the PT a printout with me, stating what type exercises to do and where I should be at so many weeks whether for my back or when I had rotator cuff surgery. He had given the home health people written guidance as well and if they. At the time I wondered why they kept saying they were so impressed with my doc.

The PT people I used this time, (because the therapist I had worked with in the past at another facility had moved out of state and they had not yet replaced her so were booked up), were thrilled to get such specific instructions from a doctor. Evidently from what they told me, the doctors in my city (where because of past experiences with the one hospital, I don't go for other medical treatment) don't do this. The PT said they just have to be extra cautious or call doctors for more specific guidance, since every doctor does things differently. The therapist said they were going to reproduce the lists for their files which all the therapists use for references because it was excellently detailed and set a safe pace for patients.

The previous group I was with before being temporarily paralyzed had their own PT department in the same office, so I made the long trips 2-3 times a week. Until this experience and the one I heard about locally last year where the PT staff at our local hospital used too much pressure working with a knee replacement patient and broke their leg the first day of PT, I had not thought much about it. Maybe because communications aren't great with so many facilities, that's the reason my current docs are now expanding their office space and will soon house their own PT department.

I'm just so happy that Stardust's doctor decided to see her and found the problem before Startdust sufferered permanent damage.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi
I saw on the other post that you are trying to give away your brace. That was to funny I am glad to see you are moved in. Wow it is good to see you are pretty much off all meds and only needed them for moving. I am impressed . I am going for my SCS trial next friday and my cervical fusion on June 1, I feel like by the time they are done I will set off a metal detector. Well anyway glad you are back, now quit trying to give away your back brace shelley

Old 03-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
(female)

Valley HB User

Welcome back Stardust. I'm glad that your doctor finally listened and gave you something for pain. They don't always know the pain we are in, and shouldn't just dismiss it because they think we shouldn't have pain. Valley

Old 03-26-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hey Guy's .
Thank You, It's GREAT to be back. I just found out yesterday my Mom had the same back problem as I do, only hers was caught early enough for her PT to correct the problem, way back when. My Brother (2 years older) called and was telling me of his back (same as mine) and he is going to a chiropractor and refuses surgery till he cannot move anymore. I wish he knew what a mistake he might be making after reading some of your posts on here.
I guess it runs in the family.

Valley: Your right! Some doc's don't listen over the phone and I am really glad he ORDERED me in to see him, I have learned from this, that if ever a Doctor thinks I shouldn't be in pain and I am, I'll just make my own appt and see them face to face.

Myspine: AWWWWWWWWWWW, come on now!, Don't make me pass up a chance to get rid of my brace After all, the thread just reached out and grabbed me and I couldn't get loose!
I'll be thinking of you and your upcoming surgery, so take care of yourself *K*?

Quietcook:My Doc sent over my Therapy papers, but it only said to evaluate & treat & w/stretching. I just found out they all have lunch together (or so PT says), I highly doubt it since they can never remember his name. I think when I told them for the second time that the Doc said no Therapy they were testing me. Thank You, Yes am already seeing a major improvement on my own WITHOUT PT involved.

Bionicwitch:Thank You, Your so sweet! I feel more like I'm doing Yoga now than exercises .

FLY:I know what your talking about, after my surgery and my family didn't want me to come home or bother with me, I went and checked out the rehab places (in advance), the Nurses said mild PT & such were a routine to keep from getting so stiff (those places they said were boring), but regular PT would not begin until the Doc said, after I would go home. However I decided p*** on my hubby & kids, it's my home and I had Home Health and that's JUST were I was going. SO I parked myself in the spare bedroom, but after I came home from the Hospital, the Fam was cool with it .I think they were afraid of me as much as PT was, when I first went there, but they got over it.

Mel: Before my surgery and my fam didn't want me to come home, you are the one who gave me the strength to make my own decision, And I want to Thank You for that

As far as pt they seemed scared of me from the beginning and I honestly don't think they knew what to do with me, and for example, I would be laying on the gurney thing and they would have me yanking my legs up one then the other 10 times then rest to the count of 5 and do it again, also arching my back and having me lay on my back for 15 minutes on ice and not move, when they knew ice caused the spasms to be so bad, they had to lift me up and carry me off the gurney screaming in pain as spasms went through the entire lower back, hips and legs, also had me bending my ankles back & forth??? (my Doc said WHAT! DUHHH ).
When I saw my Surgeon he asked me to lay on the table and showed me the RIGHT way to do things, As he told me what to do, I kept telling him that this is NOT what PT was having me do. So at that time, he pulled up a chair and taught me each new exercise, which was lifting one leg into the air at a time and pulling it towards me and holding it for 30 seconds, then the other leg, then both legs being pulled up as if in a ball and pulling for 30 seconds and then releasing, also sitting with legs spread and leaning and stretching for each toe for 30 second and then releasing and then bending over (as if in half) to reach my toes or farther in the center. Believe it or not, I got used to PT and he had to teach me to close my eyes and relax, keeping check not to tense up, and I kept holding my breath, so he was coaching me on breathing. He kept saying not to worry, he would not let me fall of the table and continually telling me to breathe.
Then he wants to see me on April 5th to check my progress. I FEEL SO WONDERFUL, I HAVEN'T HAD NOT ONE SPASM AND IT FEELS MORE LIKE YOGA. I'VE NEVER FELT SO RELAXED BEFORE HE INSISTED ON ME DOING THIS ON MY FLOOR, NOT A BED OR ANYTHING ELSE, AND I CAN ACTUALLY GET OFF THE FLOOR WITH NOOOO PROBLEM AND NO PAIN!! .
Stardust

Old 03-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Wonderful, wonderful. Sounds like the doc showed you the same exercises my therapist had me to do with the earlier fusions, except that this old lady gets to use a towel or some kind of rag to help get my leg up there. Right now, I'm just reaching the point I can lie on my back a little bit in bed, but then it was a massive surgery. Maybe sometime soon I will be able to get in the floor and try those exercises again. You are doing it and that is encouragement for me.

So glad you decided on going home. My surgeon also recommended a rehab but I said no, as I need to be sure Mother gets her meds right and on time. She was quick to say no at the same time though as she would have wanted to be right with me as she was in the hospital. I had ordered her oxygen generator be brought there and made arrangements for friends to come daily to make sure she went down for meals instead of staying there constantly with me. Had made sure the nurses and friends had the schedule for her meds in case I was out of it so they could help me there, but fortunately I did bug her every time I was alert. Both of us made it fine, but I sure didn't want to go to rehab and then home. The doc was great and with home health things went wonderfully. Mother made sure I didn't do much, as I with her and her heart. Hey, families can figure a way to do things.

Understand when a person lives alone that it is much worse. Made daily treks for one friend when they had surgery as they had a number of animals that needing caring for, but another one I just brought home to my house until they could fend for themselves. Why go to a rehab or other facility if a close friend can help out. It's unfortunate though, but sometimes there isn't another option.

Even though we've not met face to face, I feel so excited that things have taken such a good turn for you. Glad too that the doc wants to see you again so soon. A very good indication that he is concerned and wants to make sure things are back on track.

Happy Easter to you and the family. Keep us up to date when you feel up to being at the computer a few minutes now and then.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Your to funny
Happy Easter
Shelley

Old 03-27-2005, 01:09 AM   #12
(male)

tracer HB User
Smile Re: I'm Back Online!!