It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #1
(male)

darkmantis HB User
Question on my meds

My dr prescribed me Oxycontins SRs and Oxycontin 40mg tablets...he told me to half the tablets to make them last...whats up with that?Well i didnt and now im out of meds with 3 weeks to go before next appt and im hurting bad..if i go to ER and tell them im in pain and out of my meds will they think of me as a junkie or somethin and send me away and then call my dr and tell him im out of meds?Reason i didnt half the tablets is cause i learned its dangerous to do so..

Last edited by darkmantis; 03-26-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
(male)

darkmantis HB User
Re: Question on my meds

No i didnt he told me to half them..halfing them is dangerous so i took whole pills..the pharmacists told me it was dangerous but my neurologists insists its not...

Last edited by darkmantis; 03-26-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

You are right. Oxycontin should Never be cut in half. If your doctor told you to do that, you need to find a new doctor because this one shouldn't be prescribing meds to an animal. What you should have done is call him and tell him that you were advised not to cut them and ask him what to do. Then your butt would have been covered. Was this your pcp? I hope it wasn't a neuro or ortho; in any case, you need to find a new dr.

As for the pain, I suggest you go to ER, because you are headed for withdrawals. How many pills did he give you? If you took them more than a few days, I am worried that you are going to get quite sick. ER will give you something to get through that.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Next time you have a problem over your meds, call the dr. and talk to him so that you can avoid this sort of thing.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 03-27-2005, 01:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

ARANGER HB User

I'm confused about your post. You said your Dr. Prescribed you OxyContin SR and OxyContin 40mg. This is the same thing unless its a different dosage (mg). Are you sure you didn't get OxyContin 40mg and Oxycodone IR (Immediate Release). Or did you get two different mg's of OxyContin? When I get my OxyContin, the bottle say OxyContin SR (Sustained Release). But it is common for a doctor to prescribe OxyContin with another opiate like Oxycodone IR (Immediate Release) Percocet or Vicodin for breakthrough pain. It is ok to split one of those pills (Vicodin, Percocet). DO NOT ever split or cut an OxyContin pill though. These are made to release the drug (Oxycodone) over a period of time (8-12 hours). If you cut an OxyContin Pill, you ruin the time release mechanisim and release all that drug at one time; very dangerous. If you can, post what your pill bottle says and we can see if you have the same thing or if you have OxyContin and a Breakthrough Pain drug.

Good Luck

Old 03-27-2005, 03:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Carol is 100% right - you should NEVER split, break or crush them. Call your Dr & OR your pharmacist to confirm this.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:53 AM   #6
(male)

tracer HB User
Lightbulb Re: Question on my meds

yeah i have taken oxycodone after surgery this u could break i think but the time release one u cant.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:13 AM   #7
(male)

darkmantis HB User

he gave 180 oxys to take 2x a day for 5 months...thats how i ran out.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:38 AM   #8
(male)

darkmantis HB User

The SRs are capsules peachish looking with a black *** on the top of the capsules and he gave me tablets (SR=Sustained release)he prescibed them because medicaid covers it but they dont cover tablet form oxycontin which costs me 650 dollars for 100 of them.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
(female)

tammys HB User

I have been on oxycontin off and on for over a year now and I have never heard that you should cut them. I have heard all of the dangers of cutting or crushing. I would call my neuro and find out what you need to do to get pain relief and also to prevent withdrawals. If you need relief before Monday, then go to the ER. I also agree with an earlier post, if your doctor told you to cut them in half, find another doctor.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!

Tammy

Old 03-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
(male)

darkmantis HB User
Angry Re: Question on my meds

[QUOTE=tammys]I have been on oxycontin off and on for over a year now and I have never heard that you should cut them. I have heard all of the dangers of cutting or crushing. I would call my neuro and find out what you need to do to get pain relief and also to prevent withdrawals. If you need relief before Monday, then go to the ER. I also agree with an earlier post, if your doctor told you to cut them in half, find another doctor.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!

Tammy[/QUOTE]
it was neurologists who told me to half them..he prescibed 180 oxycontin 40mg to take twice daily..an its supposed tolast 5 months!!Thats only a 90 day supply ....

Old 03-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
Well if you had 180 say Vicodin and they said take 1/2 two times a day that would last 180 days which is almost 6 months but I do not know about the meds you are on, But if it is a capsule that would be impossible or if it is a time release. Hmm sounds like you need to call the doc. Did you call him when you got the message from the pharmacist that slitting them was a no no because if that is a fact then it sounds like your doc needs some med. education and now you are paying the price for it. How long ago did he RX it? was it recent enough that you can call him and say that you were informed not to do this?
shelley

Old 03-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
(male)

CONCERNED 2 HB User

You Need Appt. With Dr. And Work It Out With Him. Don't Even Tell Who Ever Answers The Phone At Dr. Because They Don't Know And Carev About Your Situation Only The Dr.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:59 AM   #13
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Before my surgery I was taking hydrocodine 5/500 and I would sometimes cut them in half to make them last longer.. That is when I felt like my leg was wrapped up like a window shade, espically when I got home at night after a long day or at night when I woke up around 2am. I am still taking hydrocodine, that is what they gave me in the hospital too. but I am trying to ease off the codine, today and late yesterday I have been talking tolenyol pm to sleep and to see if I really still need the condine or not.. But I can to admit which maybe it might had been wrong, I to cut some of my condine tablets in half to save them. Tracy

Last edited by arkansas_tracy; 03-28-2005 at 09:02 AM.

Closed Thread