It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User
i'm home and healing,,,horray!!!

I had one level fusion on 3-9, just got home from rehab yesterday.

I did well, had a mild case of pneumonia after surgery. I do have a numb left foot, they tell me it will take time for it to go away, didn't have it before surgery, it kind of worries me.

Anyway, I am glad to be home and this thing is over.

Love to you all

Peggy

Old 03-26-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: i'm home and healing,,,horray!!!

Hi
Glad to see that you are home and just in time for the Easter Bunny .. Keep us posted on your progress and take it slow and easy but remember to walk
Happy Easter
Shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 03:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Peggy,

So glad your home and back again!
Try not to worry about the leg numbness, in all likelihood it too shall pass.

Happy Easter!
BW

Old 03-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

glad ur home! I am home too. yipee! Tracy

Old 03-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
(female)

tammys HB User

Peggy, so glad your home and things are going good. Do what the doctor tells you and take good care of yourself. You'll be back to your normal self soon!!!

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!

Tammy

Old 03-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Peggy,

Sorry about the pneumonia,but glad you are doing better and are now home. Just take things slow and do as the doctor says and you will be better soon.

Best wishes for many better days ahead.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User
Smile Re: i'm home and healing,,,horray!!!

Hi,

You people are all so great on here, thanks so much for your encouragement.

I am doing well for only being 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I think I am going to be happy with the outcome of this fusion.

Tracy when did you have your surgery, and what did you have done, and I hope you are doing well too, you probably have posted, but I havn't felt like sitting much and reading all the posts yet.

Yes, I am walking, and doing what the dr. says, you just have to push yourself, but it pays off for sure.

Hugs to all,
Peggy

Old 03-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Hi, Peggy. How great that you are doing so well. Be careful not to fall into the trap though. You know the one.....I am feeling so good, surely it would be okay to just push the couch over a couple of feet....And then POW, you are down and out. Resist the temptation, mind the doctor and take things very slow and easy. I know you want this to be a very successful surgery so you can get back to "normal" as much as possible.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 03-27-2005, 10:14 PM   #9
Inactive

Casey5 HB User

That would worry me too. If it doesn't clear up by a month or your 6 week recheck, I would have your surgeon start investigating what the reason is for this numbness in your foot.

I had a numb left thigh before my fusion surgery and the minute I woke up in post-op, I touched my thigh and it wasn't numb anymore. I got full feeling back.

I hope it resolves soon. Take good care of yourself and follow all you post-op instrusctions for a successful recovery.

Casey

Old 03-27-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
Inactive

Casey5 HB User

terecia,

I can't believe you said to push yourself. ABSOLUTELY NOT! My surgeon would faint dead out of his chair if he heard you say that. Your pain may be gone and you may feel great, but your spine is just starting to heal. The fusion process takes 3-6 months and a full year to fully fuse. You have to constintly remind yourself of this and that you need to rest and take it easy. At 2 1/2 weeks you should be spending most of you time in bed, not outside taking walks. You shouldn't be doing any bending, twisting, lifting or sitting for more than 30 mins., preferably in a recliner. You shouldn't be up doing anything yet and you should continue to let other wait on you. This is such a critically important time in your recovery. If you don't follow your surgeons instructions you are risking an unsuccessful recovery.

Casey

Last edited by Casey5; 03-27-2005 at 10:23 PM.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User

Casey,

I think you misunderstood about pushing myself. I meant about the walking. They had me up 3 days after surgery to walk, and said it was very important for me to do that, but I still have to push myself to walk, especially if I have taken pain meds, I still have to take them quite regular. I just walk in my apartment building.

As far as spending most of my time in bed after 21/2 weeks, I disagree, I do spend alot of time in bed, but not most of it, you have to get up and move around some, but I know when to lay down if I get tired. Thanks for your concern though.

Peggy

Old 03-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #12
Inactive

Casey5 HB User

Peggy,

Neither my surgeon or I would agree that you should be spending more time up and about than in bed right now. Until you go back for your six week check up, you need to be resting. Yes, you have to get up and walk around the house to prevent blood clotting, but there is no way you should be spending more time up then in bed the first 6 weeks. You have the rest of your life to exercise and walk and get back in shape, this is not the time. You should be letting others wait on you. After I had my 6 weeks check up for my double fusion, my surgeon started me in water therapy. It is very gentle and much safer than land exercises. There are so many things you can do in the water to begin to start strengthening those muscles back. It is absolutely wonderful.

But, it is your back, you certainly can do whatever you want. Personally, I wouldn't do anything that could risk the success of my fusion.

Best wishes,
Casey

Old 03-28-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
That is why we should all just follow the advice of our own doctors, mine said the opposite.... walk, walk, walk, to make sure that fusion was fusing. I was up and in PT by 2 weeks and back at work by 27 days. Some docs say yes to back braces and some say no, just do what yours says and you will do great , it already sounds like you are . Take care of yourself and keep us posted on your great progress.
shelley

Last edited by myspine; 03-28-2005 at 07:55 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

After reading Shelley's post - had to jump in.

My Surgeon said the "Walk" word DAY ONE of fusion. I did however, not oblige him and began on day 2
He continued with the WALK, WALK, WALK thoughout my recovery. Walking causes stress and stress initiates bone growth and therefore healing. I think Casey is just trying to make you aware how detrimental over doing things can be. And I agrre that the 1st 6 weeks you should strongly limit your activities, even the length and duration of your walking! Let your body be your guide ~ it will tell you when it's reached it's limit ~ it's up to YOU to listen to your body and your Dr. You've a lot invested in this surgery and the things you do now will affect your length of recovery and the overall success of your surgery.

BionicWitch

Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #15
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User

Hi again,

Thanks much for all of the feedback and advice.

My dr said the walk word right away also, and I am doing pretty well with it, at times I don't think I am doing enough, but like we all know, I need to stop if I get in pain or tired, right? I still have to take my percocet every 4 hours, (I have to take 2 of them) When should I be able to get off my pain meds from your experiences?

I am 3 weeks post- op today, it is wonderful to be on the other side of surgery, I remember I fretted about it for weeks, the way I look at it, the only way to go now is up. I go to dr for first post-op appointment on 4-7, at which time I can start driving, he told me to go ahead and drive in 4 weeks.

I hope all of you are doing well.

Casey, Shelly, and BW, I would love to hear your stories about your problems and surgeries.

Hugs Peggy

Closed Thread