It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
(female)

blossom64 HB User
Unhappy 3 weeks post-op and still having major muscle spasms and pain, want opinions please!!

Tomorrow will be my 3 week anniversary. I woke up this morning feeling like the pain was centered in my spine instead of hurting on one side and spazing bad. I sat up for about an hour and now am in horrific pain and spasms.

Want to know from anyone who has had a fusion where they were at 3 weeks post-op spasm and pain wise. I am almost finished with the methylprednisone pack my doc prescribed. I really don't feel like I am much better than I was after the first week.

My doc doesn't want me to wear a back brace, I really wish he did, I would feel more stable in one.

I realize it's a slow healing process for a fusion, around 3 months, but need to hear from others how they felt, like at one month, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, etc. I realize everyone is different as far as healing, etc.......but I guess I need a confidence booster. I am so afraid I am going to do damage just getting in and out of bed. I spend almost all day in bed, except to walk around house for water, bathroom, etc. Is this normal?

Old 03-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
(male)

tracer HB User
Re: 3 weeks post-op and still having major muscle spasms and pain, want opinions please!!

i cant comment i didnt have fuseion. but i wish u the very best get well sooon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
(female)

Valley HB User
Talking Re: 3 weeks post-op and still having major muscle spasms and pain, want opinions please!!

Hi, tomorrow will be 4 weeks for me, and I am still having spasms, though, not as bad as at first. Mostly when I try to turn over in bed, or getting up, and after being still for awhile. I have learned to take a pain pill and a spam pill before I get up in the morning, and wait awhile, and then I don't have such pain. The pain is getting lots better. Just hang in there, I know it is frustrating, but we are going to get our lives back. Valley

Old 03-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

blossom64 HB User
Re: 3 weeks post-op and still having major muscle spasms and pain, want opinions please!!

valley, did your doc tell you to walk or do anything yet for pt? I find I can't walk much more than up or down my hallway a few times, how is it for you?

Old 03-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

tammys HB User

Blossom, I am sorry your having such a hard time. I wish I could offer you some advice, but my last fusion was 2 years ago and I still have spasms. I do not think I fall into the "normal" catagory though. Nothing that was supposed to go right has gone right and everything that could go wrong has gone wrong for me. I do know that right after I had my fusion, I would take a muscle relaxer as often as I could and always tried to have something behind me to support my back when I didn't have on my brace.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!

Tammy

Old 03-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
(female)

Valley HB User

Yes, my doctor said to walk around in the house, and to use the treadmill, as tolerated of course. And to walk outside when the weather is nice. He didn't say aything about going to PT. Valley

Old 03-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Blossom,

I'm almost 4 months post 10 levels being fused. This was my fourth fusion surgery, but my doc has always promoted not sitting too long nor doing too much walking at one time either. So, from two to four weeks, I walked through the house so many times a day unless I was able to get to a store for a change of scenery. As he had home health coming, I did "exercises" such as they were several times a day, which including squeezing a throw pillow with my knees for 10-15 seconds, repeated about 15 times each, standing at my walker and taking one leg out to the side as far as was comfortable for so many times, and then taking the leg to the back and repeating. They added a few things as I progressed and then at four weeks I began PT at a local therapy place. I did lie around a lot in those first few weeks, but got up and moved around frequently to prevent blood clots. Believe me, getting up from bed was exercise enough at times, but getting that log roll down is important.

The doc has fussed at me in the past because I'm not good about resting enough. This time though, I did take lots of naps with many being in the recliner instead of the bed.

Sounds like you are doing the right things with resting and moving about and the spasms will reduce in time. Muscle relaxers when needed seem to help that process along. I took them regularly on the time table he prescribed the first month, and then began taking them only when I first began to felt a muscle tighten, and not only infrequently. It does begin to feel like that the muscles will never subside, but they do.

Understand the feeling that at three weeks we want to be doing more. Just remind yourself how much your body has been through and do give it plenty of time to heal. It won't be long until you will be able to do a good bit more.

Best wishes for a wonderful and full recovery.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:43 PM   #8

MARY G HB User

Blossom, I am 14 mos post fusion. The pain and spasms were pretty rough for me at three weeks. I was supposed to walk as much as I was able, and that wasn;t much. I used a walker for 3 mos. I started water therapy at that time, and then I noticed the improvement. Take your meds, and mosve as much as you are able. It did get better for me. Peace and healing, Mary

Old 03-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #9
(female)

blossom64 HB User

My doc gave me neither a back brace or a walker. He balked at the idea of the walker. I have such a hard time getting out of bed I use my pick up stick like a cane. I think I will have my hubby get me a cane tomorrow. I feel like if someone tapped me on the shoulder I would tip over! I guess I am paranoid and being hard on myself. It has only been 3 weeks. I am not one to lay around, even before surgery I stayed busy all the time. I hate the spasms, they are the absolute worst!

Thanks to all that have replied to me, and anyone else who has something to offer my ears are listening. Hugs to all! Blossom

Old 03-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Uh oh...I hate to be the one to say this, but you should NOT be taking steroids! No anti-inflammatories at all after fusion surgery; it interferes with the bone growth. I can't understand why you dr. put you on it and I sure hope it doesn't cause any problems for you.

At this point you should be sitting for no more than 20-30 minutes and taking short walks...outside if possible. Actually, my dr. told me to stay OFF the treadmill...to either walk outside or around the house. That may be just his own little quirk, I don't know. But I know that walking is very good for you right now as long as you aren't doing a marathon, lol.

Take it easy for a few days and rest the back. You might want to try some ice to the area that is having spasms. If it isn't near the incision, you can try heat, too. If it doesn't ease off in a couple of days, you need to call your doctor.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 03-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I can't believe that the doctor prescribed steroids after fusion

They told us that even Advil was a complete until my husband is completely fused. He had some dental work a few weeks back and had to stick to Tylenol.

I would question any doctor who prescribed any kind of steroids during the fusion process. You want your body to be inflammed. Inflammation is part of the healing process.

I am beginning to think that we follow our doctors, who are only practicing on us, too closely without question. If I were you, I would research everything that I could in relation to fusion and steroids and then educate your doctor.

take care,

Old 03-27-2005, 05:07 PM   #12
(female)

blossom64 HB User

I was on the fence and scared of taking the methylprednisone, but decided to follow his advice, and I took such a turn for the worse pain and spasm wise I just did it. I heard it both ways, that the prednisone for 6 days will either do alot of damage or not at all, that it takes high doses of it. He did tell me no aspirin or ibuprofen, which I can't take anyway due to horrible gastritis. He is the best ortho in this area, works on the famous athletes and such, so I do trust him. I had a failed laminectomy L4-5 13 yrs ago which lead to this surgery, and will be grateful to be out of the pain I was in. I guess I am doing fairly well according to all I have read here today.

My herniation was on the left side, and I have more pain on that side (left sacrum) spasms included. I felt so good 4 days after surgery I went to the store with my hubby, and the next day ended up in agony! I have slowed down now, and am really taking it easy. It's just so discouraging to slip backwards all the time. I guess it's one step forward and two back some days.

Hugs to all, Blossom

Old 03-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Just the words, steroids and athletes would make me run. They have held special congressional meetings in the last few months in regards to athletes and the steroid use. They are just beginning to get a gripe on the full scope of it and the ramifications.

One only starts out with an 80% chance of fusing. I would do everything in my power to keep those statistics up there. Even one shots of steroids can cause damage and a pack is worse than a shots. I hope that you made the right decision.

I would have asked for stonger pain meds and muscle relaxers and refused the steroids.

My husband had double level neck fusion last Oct. He was pushed down outside of a concert last week. He was told, *no Advil, only ice and pain meds and Soma* or his fusion would be set back. Again, I am shocked to read that a doc gave you steroids but the the athletic part doesn't shock me.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
Inactive

Casey5 HB User

You have me really wondering about your surgeon. Epidural and treadmill after surgery? Both no no's. What kind of surgery did you have? If it was a fusion, Quiet and Carol had the same instructions I did after my fusion. No sitting up for more than 30 mins at a time and preferably in a recliner. No taking long walks outside, rather walk around the house at least every time you get up to use the bathroom. This helps prevent blood clotting.

If you had a fusion, do you know you can't bend, twist, or lift anything?

Casey

Old 03-27-2005, 09:55 PM   #15
Inactive

Casey5 HB User

I forgot to ask you, have you told your doctor about the muscle spasms you are having? What did he say? Has he put you on a muscle relaxor. I took Skelaxin a very short time and they went right away and never came back. There is Flexeril too.

Casey

Closed Thread