HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   How do you know if a Fusion is taking? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/267690-how-do-you-know-if-fusion-taking.html)

fusionqueen 03-27-2005 05:46 PM

How do you know if a Fusion is taking?

Hello,
I am 9 weeks post-op from a front fusion with cadaver bone. I know I am doing way more than I should and have since I came home. At one month there was no sign of bone growth. What are the signs of a failed fusion? Would it be pain or would I not know until my next Xray April 19th? All of my pre surgery pain is gone, that much I can tell.

THANKS! :wave:

myspine 03-27-2005 05:52 PM

Re: How do you know if a Fusion is taking?

:wave: Hi there
The fact that your pre surgery pain is gone is a wonderful thing :bouncing:
That right there is a indication that things are good, but you will only know with a x-ray. The first one you had was very early. Be patient I am sure only good things will come with your future visits.
;) shelley

injured betty 03-27-2005 08:17 PM

X-Ray.

It will takes months for the bone to fuse completely. Painfree is good but don't overdo :wave:

Casey5 03-27-2005 09:23 PM

It takes 3-6 months for fusing to happen and a year before you are fully fused. Unfortunately, X-rays don't always tell the truth. At 3 months mine showed I was fused and I was in severe pain. He went back in according to my symptoms which were classic for failed fusion and one of my fusions had not fused at all. So there you have it. Just because you are feeling better, you still have to remember you back is not better yet and won't be for a while. If you don't follow your recover instructions, you are jeopardizing the success of your fusion. Nothing is worth that.

Rhonni 03-28-2005 04:55 AM

My doctor told me I was 100% fused at 4 months...which he said was about 6 months ahead of schedule.

At one month I didn't have much in the way of showing bone growth either.

If you're not in pain, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're not longer in pain and not experiencing symptoms, would it matter if you're fused or not fused? LOL

SadieNY 03-28-2005 08:13 AM

I always say this so sorry for the repeat Fuse like fine strands of hair taking up to a year to fully fuse a regular X ray can show or not show if fusing is going on. I always say be careful because even a slight move can break some of the new strands and cause bleeding thus having to re fuse the little strands. I know with mine I have metal cages and such so for a regular Xray my doc has said it can block some of the view and what not..

If you have no pain that is a great thing as it shows you are healing and possibly they got the right part fixed back surgery is a crap shot at best only because of the other problems that can arise from the up and lower lvl's.

Keep your head up and do as your body and Doc say to do so. Sounds like it is going very well Hugs to you