It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
(female)

RosieCheeks HB User
Any Advice Appreciated

Hi Everyone, WOW this group is awesome! I am new to this whole thing, and have no experience, so any advice is truly appreciated. My boyfriend and I were run off the interstate by a semi back in January. We rolled the car going 60 MPH, and ended upside down. (Ironically I was on my way to my first physical therapy session from another accident where a drunk driver hit me about 5 years ago). I have a bulging disc at L5-S1 which is pressing on my sciatic nerve causing pain down my right leg. Now with this new accident, I have bulging discs at T12-L1, L1-2, L4-5. At C3-4 there is a small transverse annular tear anteriorly. There is mild bilateral uncinate process hypertrophy and -raminal enroachment. (Sorry, the MRI readout isn't clear) At C5-6 there is a 6-mm right/left, 3 mm anterior-posterior right paracentral protrusion which causes effacement of the right anterior subarachnoid space and is in contact with the right C6 root. At the C6-7 level there is a central to left disc protrusion which is shallow, 2 to 3 MM. It measures 6mm right/left. It impinges on the left C7 root. I am undergoing ultrasound and emg treatments for pain, and the doc is talking about doing an epidural if I don't improve. I have also had cervical traction treatments. I really like my doctor, so far he has been very good. I know everyone responds differently to injuries and therapies, and I was wondering if anyone here has had any of these injuries, and if so, what has been the outcome? Has anyone with these injuries been abble to qualify for SSI/disability? What medications have helped? I am currently taking ultram for pain, however it makes me dizzy so I can't drive. I am also diabetic, and have arthritis in my back too, if that makes any difference to anyone. I am 37 years old. So far I am just trying to educate myself the best I can about this whole thing. Thanks in advance for any advice/help anyone can give. I don't have health insurance, so it's been stressful trying to be my own advocate. You guys are great...thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Any Advice Appreciated

Hi,

Sorry about your accident an the spinal damage. You will definitely have a road ahead of you so suggest that you call or go online to social security. They have an online quiz which will show if you qualify for disability and/or SSI. With your situation being fairly new and unless you have spoken with the doctor who is willing to give you a no work script, so calling social security may be better. Then they can tell you specifically what you will need to obtain from the doctors in order to qualify either short term or long term.

If you don't meet social security requirements, don't hesitate to contact social services to see what you would qualify for in your situation. Of course, if you qualified for say welfare assistance, if you and your friend have to sue the trucking company and/or their insurance, most likely you would have to repay any assistance from any settlement. Most likely you need to gather all the information you can and then if there is to be any action against the other driver, then take that information and let an attorney explain what laws in your state apply. Most will do a free consult if action is contemplated.

Hope you see improvement in your back and do be careful about steroid injections. Steroids can really mess up blood sugar and you will likely need to coordinate with your primary doctor about adjusting your meds if you get injections. Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Closed Thread