It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

Stageevie HB User
Open vs. Micro Discectomy

I had my surgery on Thursday PM. The surgery was success -- no leg pain, but horrible incision pain. Since I was outpatient they would only give me Lortab for pain. I was in terrible pain for 4 hours post-op -- a 10 on the scale. After finally giving me a shot and flexirill the pain subsided to a 5.

I have been in awful pain at home -- just barely able to type this. Sciatic pain is gone -- some dull aches in the places where the pain was bad. Lortab just takes the edge off pain.

I did have a question -- what is the difference between open & micro surgery?

I had outpatient micro, but my incision is nearly 4 inches long. Do you know?

I'll try to type more in a few days. I have been in pain just typing this.

Evie

Old 03-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User
Re: Open vs. Micro Discectomy

Hey! I know how you feel, i had surgery friday, but stayed the night.. and they would only give me hyrdocodine tablet for my pain. i was sure they would be drugs in my IV. But nope, Just a dang tablet every 4 hours. plus no foley so i wouldn't have to worry about getting up, i was mad then but it acutally helped me get on up I suppose. I may not have been doing as good as I right now i hadn't got on up who knows.. And I know how you feel when you incison hurts, acutally mine is more swore they anything,, Hope you get better. TracyAutumn.

Last edited by arkansas_tracy; 03-28-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

Stageevie HB User

TracyAutumn,

How long is your surgical wound? I guess I was surprised with a microdiscectomy that the wound was nearly 4 inches long. I thought micro meant small.

I hope you feel better soon as well.

Evie

Old 03-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Hey Stage, my wound is about as long as the finger next to your tumb.. mine goes up and down. I guess everybody's goes up and down. lol.. I am fixen to go take another another shower here in a little, it feels like heaven in there... I only wish I could take a bathhhhhhhhhhh... but i can 10 more days.. lol Tracy.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #5

vickic HB User

I had my microdiscectomy about 6 months ago. I was in terrible pain for about 2 days. I opted to stay in the hospital for one night and I was glad I did. My surgical pain was at least a ten a few hours after my surgery and my doctor had only prescribed codeine for me. The surgical pain did get better each day and was pretty much minimal in about 4 or 5 days. If you continue to have pain, you might want to call your doctor. Maybe you have an infection or something. Maybe it is just normal surgical pain that will go away. Have you tried icing the area? I found that it helped me to put an ice pack wrapped in a towel behind my back for short periods of time. I hope you are feeling better soon.

My incision was only about an inch in length. I thought that a microdiscectomy usually led to a small incision due to the fact that the doctor uses a special microscope to view the disk. Usually a discectomy produces a longer scar. I think it is basically the same procedure as a micro -d, without the use of the microscope, but I am not positive.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
(male)

deputy346 HB User

I am having my microdiscectomy on Fri. and I am an avid golfer. I can not find anyone who can tell me how long I may be out of the golf game. I am hoping it will not be for more than a few months. With summer on the way, and being that I live in "sunny" Ohio, I can not believe I will not be able to enjoy the outdoors with my clubs in hand. Can anyone tell me what to expect that is also a golfer? Thanks

Old 03-29-2005, 12:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Evie,

Sorry your in so much pain....it is really beyond me why they've only got you on Lortab post op.

I have never had a Micro procedure but like you, I would have thought the incision much smaller than you've described.

IF your pain level stays this high I would most definitely call the Dr and TELL him you want something a little stronger for the next week or so. I agree with Vic, maybe you could try a little ice.

Hope your feeling better & please keep us posted
Bionic

Old 03-29-2005, 06:11 AM   #8
(female)

Stageevie HB User

Bionic and Vicki,

I am feeling a little bit better this morning. It's been cold here, so I put my cold hand around my wound and it felt so good. The neuro used dermabond to seal my wound, do you know if I can use ice on that? I am calling the neuro's office to ask, but it usually takes all day to get a return call.

Tracy ~ I envy you the long showers. My neuro said to get in quickly and out quickly -- at least for the first week -- with the barest minimum of water touching my back.

I appreciate this board so much. You have all been so helpful!!!

Old 03-29-2005, 06:13 AM   #9
(female)

Stageevie HB User

Deputy,

I can't help you there. I know I was told it would be four weeks before I could resume normal activities and up to six months before any weight lifting or intense aerobics.

Evie

Old 03-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #10
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

Stage, well, acutally i am not sure if i am supposed to do it or not. lol.. But I don't think it has done any damage though, hopefully not, acutally i think it has helped me to get unswore and my wound to get unswore. I stay for about 5 min then get out.. Ta Ta Tracy

Last edited by arkansas_tracy; 03-29-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #11
(female)

Stageevie HB User

Tracy,

It is interesting to me the different instructions people receive for the same procedure. My neuro has no restrictions on sitting -- just get up when you're uncomfortable. One of the oldest partners in the neuro practice still restricts his patients to only 20 minutes at a time.
It's funny to see the post-surgical instructions. They will say you may sit as long as comfortable, then there's a dash that says Dr. ****'s patient sit only 20 minutes at a time.

Enjoy your showers.

Evie

Closed Thread