It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

Valley HB User
Question Can spasms cause the rods to shift?

Last night I had the most awful spasm and now feel like things have shifted in my back. Is this possible? Valley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Can spasms cause the rods to shift?

Valley,

No need to panic. I believe that I've had the most severe muscle spasms possible with this 10 level fusion. They were so bad that the doc and my family could see the spasms. I was about to loose my mind and it took me a bit before I could get enough sense to actually say why I was in such a fit and my 83 year old mother didn't know what it was she was seeing. She'd never even been in a hospital until she turned 79. But no, nothing shifted even though I had the spasms for weeks before they subsided. No way they shifted from spasms and x-rays at 1 month confirmed all was looking good. I did mention the sensation to my doc though and he reassured me that it was normal.

Having significant spasms, I imagine the feeling of shifting is the intensified muscle pain we feel from all the body has been through. I have felt like my spine shifts or settles, especially as I come out of the therapy pool and my body adjusts to gravity again. Within a short time of only minutes though I notice it's more like muscles which give a jab as I make moves and in no time at all, with my pain patches on, I'm doing just fine. I still get that sensation when I first sit up when doing the roll to get out of bed and even those first few steps, but once I get the patches on and my body begins adjust to standing instead of lying down, all settles.

I'll be four months post-op next week and I'm still getting these sensations although much less intense, but I've been through it before. Our bodies will take their sweet time accepting what has been done and adjusting to the foreign materials in there. Unless you bend, lift, tug or do something else the doc told you not to do, the fusion will be stable, and if you do those things the pain will likely be so rough you will know you have to see the doc right then. Hopefully you take things slow and do only what the doc says you can.

I hope this reassures you as this is my fourth time to undergo multiple level fusion. If I recall, you had your fusion just most recent so at this point do no more than what the doc said, which was probably to walk through the house so many times a day.

Hope you have a good week and will see the better days soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

Valley HB User
Re: Can spasms cause the rods to shift?

Thanks, Quietcook, that makes me feel better. yes, my fusion was recent, the 28th of Feb. Valley

Closed Thread