It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Does being sick make back pain worse?

I have a bad cold and somewhat of the flu. Ever since I have been sick my back hurts more. I know when I cough or sneeze it makes it hurt so that stress on it might be what's making it worse. It also could be the basic body aches that a person gets with the flu and it makes my back ache on the left side. Lower left side. I am taking lots of Vitamin C that is for sure. Every time I have ever done that in the past my cold only last for a few days or a week at the most. One time when I didn't do that I was really sick for 3 weeks. Plus I read in a nutrition book I have that vitamin C is vital for healing. That how much Vitamin C we have available in our bodies is directly related to how fast we heal. Anyone else hear this?

Old 04-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Does being sick make back pain worse?

I'm sure it's a combo of what you described. When we feel bad we tend to ache all over anyway...I know for me, it just exaserbates my normal miserable feeling. I haven't heard the Vit C thing but it's interesting.
Hope you feel better
Bionic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #3

AS300 HB User

Yes, my back feels terrible when I'm sick. I was sick last week, and I think it's a combination of a couple of things. My muscles ached and felt weaker...and I also wasn't able to do as much stretching and walking as I would normally do.

When I'm sick, I stick to mostly fluids (and lots of them). I try to drink a lot of orange juice, which gives me the vitamin C...seems to work fairly well for me. Hope you're feeling better...

Old 04-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Thanks. I had orange juice this morning. I also had a deviled egg. A couple days ago I made some it's so nice to have them around to just pop into my mouth when I don't feel good. I am going to have Apple juice this afternoon the kind I bought has 100% vitamin C. I am sooooo tired from all of this. It's hard having a cold normally but along with back pain it's worse. I'll have to stretch maybe that will help some.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
(female)

tammys HB User

Kari, I had the flu a couple of weeks ago and the pain was horrible from the coughing. The flu makes you feel bad all over and having problems with your back doesn't help at all. I ended up at the doctor because I could not stop coughing and while I was there, the doctor upped my pain pills. I also used the heating pad alot during the time I had the flu. Just another something to cause us back suffering people more misery. Drinking juice is wise though. At least you will get the vitamins from it. My doctor recommended vitamin C and also Calcium. As we get "back problem older", we get "back problem wiser".

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Old 04-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

oh yes, being sick can def make your pain increase-as stress and other stressors can as well. I do know this about Vit C-your body does not keep it, it is flushed out of the system every day. So, there is no amount too big of Vit C we can take. If your body does not use it, it just flushes it out. My mother (RN) suggested I take up to 2000mg a day b/c I WAS a smoker(when I smoked). So, I would say up to that amount would be good. Best to take I'd say 1500 a day, or even 500 three times a day. I am a fan of the chewable b/c it is almost like eating candy, but I like sour candy I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:38 AM   #7
(female)

TraceyH HB User

Hi,i have DDD,my pain is worse when my period is due and when im on my period.anyone else the same as me?Tracey

Closed Thread