It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
(male)

walus HB User
Weird sensation in upper back

I have a weird tingly sensation in my upper back near my shoulder. Sometimes it feels like a pin***** or slight electric shocks. I donít know if this is a skin condition or nerve condition or what its really associated with. It may be associated with sitting at my computer, however I do not know how to verify this. I noticed that the palm of my right hand does get significant pain if I use garden tools such as a rake for any length of time, but not while I am using the computer. I donít know if this hand pain is related. I did notice that the problem is more noticeable if I am sitting at the computer rather than when I am walking around or doing other things. I donít have the best posture, and when I swing my right arm around I can feel my shoulder cracking throughout the motion. This sensation is not present in my upper left back. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
(female)

ValerieK HB User
Re: Weird sensation in upper back

I had the same tingly (like bug bite)sensations in my upper back, along the bra line. It turns out that I have a herniated thoracic disc (T 8-9). This is pretty rare, and my neurologist wasn't sure that my insurance would cover my MRI and had to be sneaky to get it approved. As far as I've been told, herniated thoarcic discs can affect anything from the herniation down, so I don't know if that would cause any symptoms in your arms (then again, I'm not a doctor). I've had the tingling off and on for a year and a half, have worn a brace, done PT, but nothing seems to be effetive. I don't know your level of pain; mine's more of an uncomfortable annoyance (though slowly progressing).

Initially, I waited two months to see my regular doctor and waited another two months to see the neurologist. Both were doubtful that anything was there. One the films came back, I was referred to a neurosurgeon who has made all referrals since that time. In any event, I'd rather live with it at this point than go through a thorocotomy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #3
(male)

walus HB User

Did you have any pain along your spine near that damaged disk? I do not have any pain along the spine. My irritation is, like you said, just annoying rather than painful. Did you have any other symptoms?

Old 04-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=walus]I have a weird tingly sensation in my upper back near my shoulder. Sometimes it feels like a pin***** or slight electric shocks. I donít know if this is a skin condition or nerve condition or what its really associated with. It may be associated with sitting at my computer, however I do not know how to verify this. I noticed that the palm of my right hand does get significant pain if I use garden tools such as a rake for any length of time, but not while I am using the computer. I donít know if this hand pain is related. I did notice that the problem is more noticeable if I am sitting at the computer rather than when I am walking around or doing other things. I donít have the best posture, and when I swing my right arm around I can feel my shoulder cracking throughout the motion. This sensation is not present in my upper left back. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.[/QUOTE]

Could be related to a herniation of a disc in your neck... one of the Cervical Discs....My partner had a herniation at C5-6...and a bulge at C6-7....she had tingling in her upper back, down her right arm... sometimes left arm....also the pin***** or electric shock feeling... or stabbing feeling as she called it in her shoulder..... also had pain in her shoulder, arm... and hand and numbness in her ring finger and pinky finger on her right hand..... best suggestion is to go see if either your primary care physician can order an MRI or go see a Orthopedic doctor that specializes in the spine... or go see a Neurologist... they can all order a MRI for you.... thats about the only way you are going to find out if it is a herniation or something causing your pain....

You dont have to have pain along the spine where the herniation is either.... she didnt... the pain comes from the herniated disc compressing on a nerve in the spine....the longer it is compressed.. the more damage there will be...

My partner....had a Discectomy/Fusion back in February to fix the problem....

Good Luck to ya...

Old 04-11-2005, 11:58 PM   #5
(female)

auzzylady HB User

tht is all the symptoms i am having including sever shoulder pain and burning and the tingling in the arm and fingers..i have 3 bulging discs and one herniated disk all in the neck and my neck doc wont do a thing, meanwhile it continues to get worse not better. they want me t go to pain mamagement and have 4,000 dollar shots in the neck which ins wont cover.....

Closed Thread