It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

Stageevie HB User
Why no treadmill???

My neurosurgeon wants me walking everyday, but on my list of "No-No's" it says absolutely no treadmills for at least 6months to a year with no explanation. Do any of you know why?

Evie

19 days post-op microdiscectomy/laminectomy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
(male)

LONNIEJR HB User
Wink Re: Why no treadmill???

I Had Same Surgery And My Pt Starts Me Off 20 Minutes On One Before Pt And I Was Just 1 1/2 Weeks Post Op???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User
Re: Why no treadmill???

I was told no treadmill after my surgery - just walking, although I wasn't told not to treadmill for 6 to 12 months. I think it was because it may be easier to injure yourself on the treadmill rather than simply walking.

I know the second time I hit the treadmill, I had pain the next day, but when I walked I did fine. I'm six weeks post op and walking but could probably treadmill no problem. Then again, I'm pretty clumsy!

Old 04-12-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Somebody told me that the pace on the treadmill is too regular? My surgeon told me to do nothing for the first three months. Then he sent me to PT and the first thing the PT had me do was get on the treadmill to get my heart going. Whenever I could get a ride I went to a store and pushed a shopping cart around.
fly

Old 04-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

Valley HB User
Talking Re: Why no treadmill???

Hi, my surgeon said that I could use the treadmill, but for the first few time, my husband stood right beside me in case I had a spasm or had any trouble. Valley

Old 04-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Evie,

Unsure really. I know my surgeon said "Nothing that has resistance" i.e. treadmills.

He did however let me do a stationary bike WITH NO tension.

BW

Old 04-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
(female)

blossom64 HB User

I just took my first walk outside. My hubby went with in case I spazed, fell & busted my a$$, hehe . I made it for about 5 minutes, and my upper back (T7-8) was hurting and spazin', and my low left L4-5 got all tight like it could cut me in half. But it felt good to get out and do it. Made me realize what a long road I have!

My first post-op apt. is April 20, so don't know about the treadmill or pt yet. I have a new manual treadmill, but am still not feeling confident enuf to use it till I talk to my doc.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:21 PM   #8
(female)

Stageevie HB User

I find it amusing that doctors seem to differ on their prejudices about what you can and cannot do after surgery. On the form from my neurosurgeon's practice (there are 5 doctors), it says "You may sit as long as you are comfortable -- except Dr. Robin's patients who are limited to 20 minutes." Dr. Robin's is the oldest doctor in the practice, and I just thought it was comical that the instruction would read that way with a caveat from Dr. Robin.

I appreciate the replies. Thank you. This is such a wonderful place!!!

Evie

Old 04-12-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

As you know from my signature...I have had 2 fusions at L5-S1. In 1996 my husband bought me a treadmill so I could lose weight. With diet and using the treadmill I lost 24 pounds. However, I ended up with another fusion in '97. Although I had an MVA that was partially responsible, I know the treadmill caused some of it. How do I know? Well, I got the pump in 2003. Had a couple of problems that was keeping me from walking much. Finally found the source of my pain, and started walking on the 'mill again. Voila. Pain was back. Stopped walking, pain gone. Started walking, pain back. I have no pain when I walk outside! Scientifically speaking, I have no idea, or only vague ones, but no more treadmills for me!

Carol
morphine pump

Old 04-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
(male)

LONNIEJR HB User
Wink Re: Why no treadmill???

My Story, 38 Yrs Old Been A Diesal Technician 15 Yrs, Active And Thought I Was In Good Shape, Month Went By Every Time I Got Up From Sitting Was Stiff And Felt A Sting In My Butt, Walked It Off For Another Month, Then Driving Burning Down Right Leg. Im Like What The Heck I Pulled A Hamstring, Went To The Family Dr He Told Me Sciatica Hurt Back, Im Like Do What Your Nuts My Back Dont Hurt At All My Leg Does, Sent Me For Imaging Sure Enough Herniation Right L5s1?? Im Like How Does This Happen, Was Told Surgery Or Deal With It, I Dealt With It For 9 Months, Worked Every Day14 Hours, I Tried Everything Possible, Vax D, Chiro, Meds, Bought Inversion Table.i Learned Stretches And For 8 Months I Did Them Am And Pm Every Day For 1 Hour Each, Not Missing A Day. The Nerve Was Painful, Could Not Drive 5 Min Without Getting Out Of Car, Could Not Straighten Leg, Finally Went To See Surgeon And He Said Do Ya Want To Live With This The Rest Of Life Or Fix It, I Said Fix It, Went For Metrx Min Invaisive Disectomy, In And Out In 6 Hours And My Dr Had To Stitch The Nerve Up With 7 Stitches Due To Dura Leaking, Sent The Insision And Me Ome With Glue On Back, Woke Up The Next Morning Spasm So Bad I Wanted To Cry, 1 1/2 Weeks When I Laid Down I Got Up With Intense Spasms, No Sleep Popping Pills And Asking Myself Why Me. I Then Started Pt At 1 1/2 Weeks And It Was Total **** I Went 3 Days Week And Did The Same Thing 3 Times A Day 3 Hours A Day I Stretched , I Strengthened Myself And I Feel Alot Better At 4 Weeks, But He Did Put Me On Treadmill First Day Of Pt 1 1/2 Weeks Out, I Was Up The Next Day Walking 1-2 Miles With No Problem Just Could Not Lay My Leg Straight. Hang In There And Have Good Times

Old 04-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
I've been told the same thing as well. My docs reasons were that a treadmill is unatural. As you walk on a treadmill your feet sort of drag which in turn puts a lot of stress on your back and hips, and that can cause a lot pain for your lower back and hips etc. There is more resistance on a treadmill as oppose to walking outdoors. Good luck and take care. Kristy.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

around 3 months my doc said the treadmill was fine. (A and P LIF) and now at near four months I have been doing low impact aerobics for nearing four weeks, and currently I do 3.5 mph, 3 incline, with three pound hand weights in each hand for up to twenty mins on the treadmill with no pain. I am trying to lose some weight, which is why I do so much right now. But doing well. I have no idea why there is a restriction for the treadmill. Just one of those things I guess.

Closed Thread