It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
(male)

jake3020 HB User
spine popping with deep breath?

Hey, maybeyou all can tell me what this is. For many years now, when i take a deep breath something in my upper spine pops. like as if you were cracking your knuckles or something. It is not painfull, but kinda worrysome. I have just recently been diagnosed with a bulging L4-L5 and a herniated L5-S1 and both my Primary and Neurosurgeon said that it is not related and don't worry about it if it isn't hurting. It doesn't happen with every deep breath, but if i am relaxed for say 2-3 minutes then take a deep breath it will pop again. I notice it real bad at night when I'm lying on my side (or rather when I used to be able to lie on my side before herniation).
Does anyone else experience this? Maybe this is just a normal body condition, but seems weird to me. On my MRI all of my upper disk looked good and healthy although i don't know how many cross sections etc. they took of upper disk.
Thanks for any information- This is such a usefull site- I feel so informed when visiting with drs. Now.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

blossom64 HB User
Re: spine popping with deep breath?

Jake, my spine has done that for years, and I get relief when it does. When I see my chiro, he barely lays his hands on my back and I start popping and cracking! For me it's that I am out of alignment. I have so scoliosis in my upper back so have alot of pressure on it, and I pop "out of alignment" alot.

My low back did it too, but different popping. Doc said that was scar tissue or cartilage where my injury was. It hurt before it popped, right at L4-5 I would bring my knees to chest and feel a big pressure, then it would pop, sometimes painfully, sometimes it felt good, like a release of pressure. Hope this helps. Me and my hubby walk around popping & crackin', lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
(male)

jake3020 HB User

My MRI said that by back was straight no alignment issues. Maybe it is something that just happens. I guess I'm super sensitive now, because for many years my body has been trying to tell that i have got bad disk issues and i didn't listen so now i have hurt them in a very bad way. Who knows if i would have had this taken care of many years ago and changed my habits sooner, then i might not be in so much pain.

Old 04-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
(female)

Cindee 2 HB User

I have a small bulge at L-5 no problems though. I also pop while laying on my right side above the waist when I take a deep breath. There is not a problem with that part of my spine and it doesn't hurt so I've never asked.

Cindee

Closed Thread