It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User
Anybody working?

I'm curious about how many people on this board are/are not able to work due to back problems. If a previous poll was taken, I missed it and apologize.

My husband was placed on LTD two years ago, hoping to return to a different field of work. Now with the back problems, he can't return to school for re-training and I think we're just hoping for some pain relief at this point. Working is out of the question and we're fairly certain he'll never be able to return to work.

Please don't post what you do or use to do. I think that is against the rules. Maybe just asking the question is, too. Who knows...

Old 04-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User
Re: Anybody working?

I fell on the job in 6/99 and conitnued to work til 6/03 and just kept getting worse and having to cut hrs and days, I fought WC til I finally lost my claim and am now fighting for SSD and have been since filing when in 03 when I had to quit working.
I doubt I will ever be able to work again and know never at what I did.
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

rebel_forever33 HB User

hello, For me I hurt my back a work in 2002 tried to work some after and couldnt do it my back just got worse I finlly fell down my steps at home becouse my back went out on me. And I broke my acl which is in your knee had surgery on that last year so being on cruches and walker for a year made my back even worse so finelly had surgry on back on march 24th. so I wish Yall lots of luck and maybe we will all get life back one day. God bless

Old 04-13-2005, 08:44 PM   #4
(male)

Tavist07 HB User
Angry Re: Anybody working?

Last edited by Tavist07; 07-06-2005 at 01:30 PM.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Injured my back Feb 2005 just a few months ago. I have a disc protrusion at L5-S1. Could not walk for one week because of extreme pain then when I was able to walk it hurt extremely but was able to tolerate it. I now am working because I have a job where I just sit at a computer and only work 4-6 hours each day. If I had a job where I had to walk around I would not be able to handle it. I actually have been walking on my treamill and got up to 1 hour the other day but could never stand and walk for 4-6 hours at a time at this point.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

My husband had a two level fusion on his neck and went back to work within two weeks. He was back to work, full duty, within no time. He has no pain. He has to be careful not to lift over 70 pounds, other than that, I think that he took two weeks of disability through his job.

I have SI dysfuction, caused by a work injury. I work. I just can't sit for more than fifteen minutes at a time or I have to shift about. I have no restrictions except for twisting at the waist.

The more you sit, the worse you get. Sitting is one of the worst things that you can do for your back. Move around. Keep your back moving. Otherwise, you get depressed and set up like cement.

There are people in wheelchairs who work. Look at Christopher Reeves or Stephen Hawkings.

The less you work, the more depressed you get and most people either eat or take meds to cure depression and enter that downwards cycle.

Working in some sort of fashion, may be the cure.

just my two cents,

Old 04-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I would love to be "able" to go back to work unfortuantly I am no longer physicaly able and I would love to be the active person I once was, I agree it is deppressing to sit around and think about your pain and illness, but because some do doesn't mean everyone can.
I had always thought I'd be happy when I never had to work again and may have been if it had been a choice I had made and not one made for me by my condition.
You really can't put everone in such a simple catagory and wrap it up wih a bow.
I really agree it would be better to be able to go on and have some sort of the quality of life that I had before, I got up at every morning and dragged myself to work for 3 yrs and cried in the restroom at work and came home and lived with pain that never let up and only made my condition worse and permenant by doing this.
Linda

Old 04-14-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

I know what you mean about needing to be productive, Betty, but sometimes it isn't a matter of being able to sit, stand, walk, or even jump. A friend of mine is totally paralyzed from the waist down and in a wheelchair and works full time. The difference is that she feels no pain from her paralysis. If there was a job out there that allowed my husband to loosen up in a pool for two hours a day, lay down when the pain was unbearable, sit for 10 minutes, then stand for 10, no lifting more than 10 lbs, no driving for more than 20 minutes and was something he was trained to do, he might have a chance, that is if someone was available to help him get in and out of a chair. It would also have to be an employer who didn't care if dh couldn't get out of bed for a few days at a time.

I agree that being active is the key. We're in high hopes that this fusion will bring back some quality to his life. Then he can tackle the next surgical hurdle.

Last edited by kaybee; 04-14-2005 at 01:24 PM.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

kaybe: Is there anything that he can do from home?

I have read study after study that people who leave work due to an injury, the longer they are out, the more unlikely that they will return to work.

Other study statest that people who have work related injuries or are on SSI or LTD, recover at a much slower state or at all.

Let's look at this example; I am not trying to pick on you, just using this as an example. What is the exact diagnosis? Sprain? Strain? and then pain pills?

DDD is normal as is arthritis if you are over the age of 30.

I had a strain of the SI. It never healed. I also have some DDD and some arthritis. I have a lot of pain from the strained SI ligament. But I have no one to sue. I have to work. My husband makes too much for me to get SSI. Even thought it was a work related accident, I wanted to go back to work there so did not make the claim.

The longer that you dwell on the problem and the longer that you are down, the worse it gets. Positive thinking really does cure a lot of pain. Why hasn't the strain/sprain healed? Have you looked into your immune system and if you have a problem with it?

If it were me, I would stop all meds and see if the meds are telling you that you are in pain. By now the strain/strain should have healed. Meds are very deceiving, cunning and will suck you in. I tried them and quit.

Find something within your activity range that you can do and do it. Stretches, walking, light exercise. The saying, "Use it or lose it" really is true.

stepping off of my soap box now.

[COLOR=Red]6/13/99 Fell at work
WC allowed claim:thoracic sprin/strain; lumbar sprain/strain;lumbosacral sprain/strain WC approved 22 chiro visits
NO relief asked referrel to PM Dr.started PM 8/25/99 mri said to be normal slight bulge L4/5 all request for further testing denied.
8/01/01 I paid for discogram from local orthepic surgeon after given 2 4mg. shots morphine discogram found to be normal
WC approved 3 epidural inj.NO HELP
10/03/01 started treatment Cl.Clinic on private ins.
MRI:Cl.Clinic L4/5 disc bulge w/neuroforaminal impingement
X-RAYS:Cl.Clinic L5/S1 spondylothesis
3 more epidurals no help
2/01 discogram Cleveland Clinic:L4/5 disc bulge contrast moved towards posterior asppect of that disc w/midline fissures in the medial annular fibers disruption
L/5-S1 level also abnormal.
Update;at that time I was prescibed a spine cath idet/denied WC denied privat ins.
since have been living on pain meds prescribed by the approved WC PM Dr.
vicodin 10/660 4xday
neurontin 400mg.3xday
soma 350mg.2xday
oxycontin 40mg.2xday
No further treatment then meds everthing denied by both ins.
Pri.Ins found out going to Cl.Clinic because of Wc accident refused pay ment for any med. bills ended up in bankrupcy court.
6/14/03 pain worsened and many other comlications.
6/21/03 ended up going to Cl.Clinic ER was a bad nightmare,after being there for over 24 hrs. was released at my demand
X-rays showed DDD and arthritis at 2 or 3 levels.;diagnosis upon release STRAIN/SPRAIN
7/1/03 mediation to prepare for trial by jury 12/17/03
7/8/03 WC hearing to discontinue all meds,medical treatment [/COLOR]

Old 04-15-2005, 04:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

The old sig. hasn't been updated since beore the trial ya know as I found it very depressing to keep dwelling on the things I can not change.I find it strange you should post MY old sig. on your post without saying why.
I'm not going to go into all I have been through these past 2 yrs what diagonisis have been found and all I have been through and lost because of it, I will say the wrong move and to lift over 5lbs. may very well leave me paralized not how I chose to live the rest of my life.
I think it is wonderful that you and your husband have been able to return to your lives before back problems and I admire your strength and courage, I don't think of myself or others as being weak or useless just because life hasn't been the same for us. I don't know you and chose not to argue with you as I'm sure you help a lot of people with your knowledge and support and everyone is to have their own opinion and I was expressing mine as you have.
I also only came back after so long to be supported and to try to support others and am sorry you found to nessaserary to do what you have done, then again your expressing you right to your own opinion as I have.
Linda

Old 04-15-2005, 05:17 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]kaybe: Is there anything that he can do from home?

I have read study after study that people who leave work due to an injury, the longer they are out, the more unlikely that they will return to work.

Other study statest that people who have work related injuries or are on SSI or LTD, recover at a much slower state or at all.

Let's look at this example; I am not trying to pick on you, just using this as an example. What is the exact diagnosis? Sprain? Strain? and then pain pills?

DDD is normal as is arthritis if you are over the age of 30.

I had a strain of the SI. It never healed. I also have some DDD and some arthritis. I have a lot of pain from the strained SI ligament. But I have no one to sue. I have to work. My husband makes too much for me to get SSI. Even thought it was a work related accident, I wanted to go back to work there so did not make the claim.

The longer that you dwell on the problem and the longer that you are down, the worse it gets. Positive thinking really does cure a lot of pain. Why hasn't the strain/sprain healed? Have you looked into your immune system and if you have a problem with it?

If it were me, I would stop all meds and see if the meds are telling you that you are in pain. By now the strain/strain should have healed. Meds are very deceiving, cunning and will suck you in. I tried them and quit.

Find something within your activity range that you can do and do it. Stretches, walking, light exercise. The saying, "Use it or lose it" really is true.

stepping off of my soap box now.

[COLOR=Red]6/13/99 Fell at work
WC allowed claim:thoracic sprin/strain; lumbar sprain/strain;lumbosacral sprain/strain WC approved 22 chiro visits
NO relief asked referrel to PM Dr.started PM 8/25/99 mri said to be normal slight bulge L4/5 all request for further testing denied.
8/01/01 I paid for discogram from local orthepic surgeon after given 2 4mg. shots morphine discogram found to be normal
WC approved 3 epidural inj.NO HELP
10/03/01 started treatment Cl.Clinic on private ins.
MRI:Cl.Clinic L4/5 disc bulge w/neuroforaminal impingement
X-RAYS:Cl.Clinic L5/S1 spondylothesis
3 more epidurals no help
2/01 discogram Cleveland Clinic:L4/5 disc bulge contrast moved towards posterior asppect of that disc w/midline fissures in the medial annular fibers disruption
L/5-S1 level also abnormal.
Update;at that time I was prescibed a spine cath idet/denied WC denied privat ins.
since have been living on pain meds prescribed by the approved WC PM Dr.
vicodin 10/660 4xday
neurontin 400mg.3xday
soma 350mg.2xday
oxycontin 40mg.2xday
No further treatment then meds everthing denied by both ins.
Pri.Ins found out going to Cl.Clinic because of Wc accident refused pay ment for any med. bills ended up in bankrupcy court.
6/14/03 pain worsened and many other comlications.
6/21/03 ended up going to Cl.Clinic ER was a bad nightmare,after being there for over 24 hrs. was released at my demand
X-rays showed DDD and arthritis at 2 or 3 levels.;diagnosis upon release STRAIN/SPRAIN
7/1/03 mediation to prepare for trial by jury 12/17/03
7/8/03 WC hearing to discontinue all meds,medical treatment [/COLOR][/QUOTE]Betty I been off work since 2003 , Im not out to sue anyone, I been in pain since my injury and my employer doesnt want to find me a job I can do, I been with my company for 11 years, All i want is to be pain free, So dont come in here cursing people who is not employed . Like my Doc said, Everyones pain is different, NOT the same, Believe me i could work anyone under the table before my injury , Now I cant even use a rake, to rake the leaves in my yard, Im sorry it just makes me mad when people start running there mouth about people injured and cant work, Shame on you, I work ( not fired yet ) for the largest retail store in the world, And they cant find me a job I can do,

Old 04-15-2005, 05:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

I am fused from T1 to L2 and from L4 to L5. I recently had my last fusion in November and I work full time, 9 hours a day. I do sales/sedendary work but I am working. I am thankful for that. Although, I couldn't do a job that required physical labor.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:05 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Everones pain is different, I agree SOME people abuse the system. But its not right to come here and bash people because there not working, come on thats rude, Again Everyones pain is different,

Old 04-15-2005, 06:24 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

You're right about the DDD, Betty. I probably have it myself but it is not severely advanced, no cord compressions, no need for multilevel fusions at the lumbar or cervical levels for instability, no stenosis, no retrolisthesis - just to name a few conditions. My knees work and I'm not having to face a TKR and additional scoping of the 'good' knee. My husband isn't giving up but he isn't getting out of bed every day, either. From what I can see, no one on this board is experiencing back trouble just to be out of work. This poll was simply to find out the degree of dibilitation being caused by different levels of back problems.

Linda and Shawley, I'm blaming myself for causing you stress because I started this thread. Please accept my apologies and thank you for sharing. My heart goes out to everyone having to deal with the level of pain you're obviously experiencing.

Betty, the feeling I get from you is one of encouragement and maybe a bit of frustration because you see that some conditions can be fixed successfully and you would like to see those suffering to be proactive with their treatment. I know you realize that every situation is unique and hopefully after my husband's extensive treatment, he'll be in as good of shape as you and your husband are. That's the plan...even tho his doctors have expressed doubt.

Last edited by kaybee; 04-15-2005 at 06:26 AM.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:04 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

Kaybee, please know there is no stress on my part. I have enjoyed reading the thread you have started, I believe that we all come here in search of knowledge and support and that is what is important.
My point is I do however not come here to be judged, but am fully aware there will always be those that do, this however does not stop the hurt of it when it happens, just that I no longer dwell on it.
I have long ago accepted that no two people see things the same way, how boring life would be if we all did.
As I said I admire Betty and her husband and think it is wonderful that they have been able to move on with thier lives.
From the all the post she has made I'm sure she has been most helpful and supportive of many people and that's great, I however think it very unkind to have posted my old sig. as she did without stating it or why, 2 years is a long time and I haven't used that sig. since comming back on the boards after 2yrs so what was the reason if not to be unkind.
Linda

Kaybe, this is a good thread and I won't let it turn in to a argument on my part so I will let it go but Betty please know if you have a direct question to me about anything please feel free to ask but I wont take over someone else's thread.

Closed Thread