It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #1

mtngirl62 HB User
Myleogram information

I am scheduled for a Myleogram with CT scan on Friday. Can anyone give me an idea what to expect? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

blossom64 HB User
Re: Myleogram information

I have had two of them, one just lower back, the other my whole back. For me both were painful. Don't want to scare you, but it isn't much fun. They gave me a local on the full back one, and I still felt the needle in my spine. Then I had to hold onto the tilt table in pain as the dye went up and down my spinal cord so they could take pictures. Then off to the catscan machine. It was about 4 hours of pain and I could barely walk when I got out. Didn't have a headache either one, no after effects or problems. But it's important you get one, they can see things wrong that they can't see with just a regular MRI or Catscan. I had two demerol, one before going in, and one after, they let me take my own pain meds, and it didn't stop the pain much.

Good luck, like I said it's not much fun, alot of pain, but then with our backs we are used to it, ick.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I passed out during mine. (Don't ask questions you don't want answers to HA)

It goes down as the worst test I've ever gone through.

The good news... I lived through it. No they're not any fun, yes they're necessary, and you'll be ok too. Take a deep breath, tell yourself you can do it, hope they find something definitive.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hi... I had one done of my lower back... for L5-S1.... I can honestly say, Mine did not hurt at all.... they gave me a local anestetic to numb the area before they inserted the needle....then they injected the dye...didn't feel a thing.....then they did a few XRays... tilted the table until I was standing up completely, so the dye would stay in the lower part of my spine...then did more XRays... and then they took me and did the CT Scan.... that was a piece of cake....after the CT Scan they took me back to a room, sorta like a recovery room and had me lay on a bed with my head elevated about the height of two pillows for about 2 hrs for observation...I took a nap........ and then let me go home...after I got home I had to rest the remainder of the day laying down with my head elevated on two pillows.. and drinking LOTS!! of fluids to flush the dye out of your system...laying on the pillows with your head elevated is meant to help keep your from getting a headache....I never got one....... I was also told that if the doctor is good... it is less likely the test will hurt.....I can say I must have been lucky.... I am sure yours will be fine as well.... Let us know how things go... Take Care...

Old 04-14-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
(female)

NewLeaf HB User

I too did not have any of the pain that I have read about. Maybe doctor put something in there to help. I did tell him before that I was terrified of it. I also days before the procedure did a lot of water drinking and maybe that helped too... Good luck Leaf

Old 04-14-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
(male)

TINCAN HB User

Hello
I have had 3 myleograms, They did not bother me that bad. You MUST do what they tell you or you are going to get a headache that is a million times worse than a migrane. I got a terrible headache on my last one, because the hole from the injection did not seal itself and my spinal fluid was leaking out. That is how you get the headache because of the spinal fluid leaks out. I had my wife take me to the hospital and they kept me 3 days. They had me drugged up so much because I was vomiting alot. They had to give me two blood patches to seal the hole.( a blood patch is alot like stop leak for a radiator on a car. You put stop leak in and it goes to the hole in the radiator and seals the hole.) Well an anestesiologist takes a some blood from you and injects it into you spinal canal and the headache will stop immediately. Sorry that you have to have this test but it is the best test there is to see what's going on in your back, and I am sorry I was so graphic but I just wanted you to see what can happen so you will do what they tell you! Well got to go I hope you have a blessed day.
TINCAN
LAMINECTOMY L5-S1
DISKTECTOMY L5-S1
FUSION L5-S1 WITH HARDWARE
BONE SPURS
MEGA SCAR TISSUE
STENOSIS UP TO THORASIC AREA
SPONDYLIOSIS
DISK BULGE L4-S1

Old 04-14-2005, 12:08 PM   #7

mtngirl62 HB User

Thank you all for the information. I am terrified but have to do it. Keep me in your prayers. You guys are great.
D

Closed Thread