It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

Pammy2218 HB User
Finally have date for surgery!

Well it took them over a week to get it scheduled, but I finally got a date. Monday, May 2nd for surgery and my pre-op appt w/ the neurosurg is Wednesday. I got lots of questions for him LOL.

My insurance covers a walker, cane and back brace if needed. They won't cover a raised toilet seat grrrrr! Or a shower chair! I've been pricing the toilet seats w/ arms but they are high. The cheapest so far is $45. I can get one without handles for $18. I wonder if I can do without the handles if I have my walker or cane in the bathroom with me so I can hold on to get up. I hope so, cuz we can only afford the $18 one. As far as a shower chair, I'm hoping to find like a tall plastic stool (like a bar stool but plastic). That way I can just lean on it with my butt and shower I hope.

I'll be taking a trash bag for the seat of the car like I saw suggested on here somewhere. Sounds like a great idea!

Bionic: Have you got answers yet?

Huggs everyone!!
Pammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User
Re: Finally have date for surgery!

Good luck with your surgery. also you can try thrift shops or goodwill stores they have used medical things really cheap. I bought crutches for 5.00 once

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

Good luck with your surgery. also you can try thrift shops or goodwill stores they have used medical things really cheap. I bought crutches for 5.00 once

Old 04-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

Pammy2218 HB User

Hi Terri,

Thanks so much. Yeah I was on the phone all morning calling all the goodwills and salvation armys, no luck. One of the goodwills the other day had a great walker for only $5 but I knew my insurance would cover that one, so I didn't bother with it. I'm still in search of the raised toilet seat and shower chair though LOL. I'll keep looking.

Does anyone know, in the hospital after your surgery, does the hospital provide a raised toilet seat and shower chair etc. for you to use while there? Do you get to take them home? I've been wondering about this....

Huggs,
Pammy

Old 04-15-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Oh Pammy,

I'm so glad that you FINALLY have a sx date!!!!!

and it's great that it is soon, not only for your pain but mentally it's hard just waiting as the date approaches the 20th will be here in NO time

I am so glad to hear he'll be doing your sx posterior - this is exactly the type & same level fusion I had. The 1st couple days in the hospital will be rough Pammy, but will pass. Just be positive get UP outta that bed the minute they ask you to and START WALKING - I was walking 2nd morning and walked numerous times a day throughout the halls and got used to my walker, I was only in the hospital 3 days.

Now, do you have everything ready at home? Is your son all ready and a professional cook now?? - your so blessed to have him helping you when you come home - it will also be a time for him to be proud in that he's helping mom!~

My favorite (2) things 1st coming home from the hospital were: seeing my own home! and having my son as my helper both physically and emotionally - friends are appreciated and always welcomed to help but having your own family near is the best!

The toilet I didn't think insurance would cover - all you really need is a "riser" I have heard Wal-Green's has them pretty reasonably priced. Using your walker you'll be able to hang on to it and also use it to help you get up from the toilet (and bed) I am a little surprised they wouldn't help you your with a shower chair....maybe along with the thrift shops try calling around to any medical supply outfits near you maybe they re-sale used ones? I did not have a shower chair after my fusion - I WILL have one this time though it will be quite helpful. I read somewhere once that a gal used a plastic yard chair ya know the common stackable ones - she said it worked great for the shower.

Trash bag for the ride home IS a great idea! Also the most comfortable riding vehicle will make your ride home all the more comfortable. Do you have far to drive to the hospital?

=^..^= I get answers finally on Tuesday!!!

of course I will let you know what the final verdict is.

Will see you again many times before the 20th.
Major Hugs!
Bionic

Old 04-17-2005, 01:44 AM   #6
(female)

Pammy2218 HB User

One of my poor kitty cats was very sick suddenly and I had to have him put to sleep Monday It was his kidneys, he was only 8 and was so loyal to me! It took me forever to get home that day as I was crying the whole way. We have another that is 18, now I expect him to go soon, I'll be very sad but I expect it from him. I just hope it's quietly in his sleep one night, no pain.

So two weeks from Monday now LOL. May 2 for surgery. Can you believe he didn't prescribe a walker??!! Well I found one brand new almost at Goodwill for only $6 and I bought it!! So should I take it with me even though he didn't prescribe one?? uggg....

I also had my pre-op blood work done Friday and got fitted for a corset brace thingy and brought it home. I guess they will put it on me right after surgery It is the most uncomfortable thing ever and I'll have to lossen it everytime I have to go to the bathroom uggg They also said I won't be driving for Minimum of 6-8 weeks and probably longer then that. I can't imagine not driving that long lol.

LOL yep I am still working on gettin him ready to do more LOL. It is great to have him with me all day. He is a big help when I'm down with my back, so I know he'll be great with this too.

Yep, I need to see if my lawn chair will fit in the shower. If it does then I'll just get one of those rubber mats for the floor of the shower so the chair doesnt' slide on me.

It only takes about 20 or so minutes to get home from the hospital, so luckily I don't have far to go.

Yesss please let me know what they say for you. What have you had done all together? You hadn't had a discogram before this one recently had you? So you had a fusion before, did it fail? What levels? Other proceedures? Do you also have DDD like me? Do you know if DDD is something that will progress over time and eventually destroy all the discs, or a lot of them anyway? I've always wondered what your diagnosis has been, but just hadn't asked yet LOL.

Take care and hopefully after surgery my friend will bring her laptop when she comes to visit me so I can come to this message board and talk on Instant Messenger and check my emails and stuff LOL. I'll have computer withdrawls LOL......Talk to you soon.....

Mega huggs back at ya!!
Pammy

Old 04-17-2005, 03:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Pammy,

Words can't say how sorry I am about your cat. I am such a cat freak - if you only knew...I have 2 cats also - one is 9 and her son is 7, they are the only children I have left at home and they get treated better than my kids probably did - LOL

The walker: They will take you to your car in a wheelchair so no need to take it IN the hospital but you may want to place it in the trunk of the car it will help you get from the car to the house much easier. Did you get a rolling walker - one with wheels? It good you bought one - my ins would have covered mine but I would have had to pay like 10-15$ a month I had a client in the DME business and he sold me one at cost - looking back I never knew just how handy it would be - I bought it for my 1st surgery (what I had thought would be my ONLY surgery) - and now will use it on surgery # 3.

I have never had to wear a brace but will be in one this time, I am very curious to know WHICH one this Dr uses...will ask him next visit.
What I have done alltogether briefly: Lami L4/5, L5/S1 July 2001. 6 mo later reherniated L4/L5. Continued with conservative measures, shortened work week, esi's, trigger point injection, bed rest etc.. then when the sciatica and pain began to get unbearable I finally agreed to have 2nd surgery. I was fused @ L4/5, L5/S1 in September 2003. I had a noneventful surgery (for both) and in that I was very lucky - in the 1st surgery my L4/5 had literally blown apart the Dr told my husband - he spent over an hour just picking disc fragments out and due to all the manipulation of the spinal nerve and the length of time I put off surgery, I was left with major nerve damage
9mo after fusion Ortho began blowing me off when I continued to complain that something was NOT right. His only answer was, "Maybe a nerve is resting on one of your screws" duh.....got fed up, needed answers, when to see my GP whom I admire and feel very comfortable with - asked him to refer me to a PM doc. He said he would be my PM- and so I was fine with that and went on with things for a few months with him. Pain became worse & worse - when I began to feel grinding and crushing pain - he referred me to a PM for evaluation for a intrathecal morphene pump. Luckily I was blessed with a wonderful PM Dr. She promised me we would find out WHY I was in so much pain ~ she did more ESI's, Facet blocks, lots more meds, still the pain became worse. She is who referred me to my current doc he is an NS. He did x-rays, new MRI, CT & Bone scan and Disco.

He said my L4/L5 was not connected at all on the top and not much on the bottom. So finally a diagnosis. Pseudoarthrosis. Failed fusion. My level above is now bulging but no herniations were seen, facets on a couple level are shot out now too. I am seeing him on the 26th and hopefully will know the extent of what he'll need to do while re-doing my level that has failed.

DDD, yes I have severe DDD throughout my lumbar spine. DDD is a degenerative disease and sadly the disc will continue to deteriorate. Doesn't necessarily mean they'll be problematic enough to need surgery, MANY people have DDD and no pain.

So that's my deal.

Hugs,
BW

Old 04-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

Pammy, If you can't find a shower chair and your lawn chair doesn't fit you could put a plastic milk crate on the tub and put a towel over it. I did that after my first back surgery. also make sure you have a no slip mat under it. again good luck and I'm glad you got a walker cheap.

Terri

Old 04-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
(female)

tammys HB User

Pammy, CONGRATULATIONS on your surgery date!!! Funny how we all get excited when someone "gets to have surgery"....LOL... I'll offer a suggestion about the shower seat. I didn't have one when I came home from the hospital, but I did have the "what the hospitals call a bedside toilet"....Guess what I used in the shower??? Yep, the bedside toilet. It sat perfectly in the shower. If you have a paper you can advertise in the "wanted" section, maybe you could pick up one of those pretty reasonable. I had great insurance when I had my surgery and it paid for all of my equipment to make life a little easier. One thing I could not and still couldn't live without is my grabber. Another thing that makes things better is a little sponge on a stick. Just makes it easier to reach those places that you can't bend or twist to reach. You still have time before surgery to get things within easy reach and it sounds like your son will be available to help you out, so things will go great for you. I wish you all the luck in the world!!! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Good Luck!!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Closed Thread