It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
(male)

TINCAN HB User
Problems Again

Hello
Hello everybody I have a question has anyone ever experienced symptoms like what I am experiencing? Well I am 3 years post fusion L5-S1 and L4-S1 has a buldge in it. I am experiencing very sore and tender low back right where my fusion is. That area is so tender that you can't touch it with out me climbing the wall! I have pain in my hips and left leg and left groin area that stays about a 6 but goes to a 8 or 9 everyday. My right toes are numb alot. I think there is something very wrong with my fusion. The first two years after my fusion were ok but it seems like the longer I go the worse it gets. I am on hydrocodone/apap 7.5/500mg anddarvocet-n 100 w/ apap 650 and flexeril 10mg. I don't take all of these everyday I try to switch them up so my body doesn't get used to them and they lose their effectiveness. I have an appointment with my pain management doc early next week. I have had 3 rounds of caudal blocks and they do not work anymore. The last time I had a block the pm doc mentioned that I might have to have my instrumentation removed. I had a ct mylegram in March of 04 and the doc's said everything looked alright. Can everything look alright on the ct mylegram and the fusion still be going wrong (like screws backing out or the fusion not taking) I am sorry I am rambling but I am not a happy camper I am only 49 and I have been fighting this since 1988 and there seems like there is no relief in sight. If anyone has any insight I would appreciate it.( If they have to take the hardware out how big is the insicion and is the recovery worse than the fusion. This board has been a God send for me because people who have never had back problems do not know what it is like to be in pain everyday. Sometimes your own family doesn't even understand. I would also like a list of questions that I can ask my pain doc. Well I hope everyone has a very blessed day
TINCAN

LAMINECTOMY L5-S1
DISKTECTOMY L5-S1
FUSION L5-S1 WITH HARDWARE
BONE SPURS
MEGA SCAR TISSUE
STENOSIS UP TO THORASIC AREA
SPONDYLIOSIS
DISK BULGE L4-S1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Problems Again

I'm sorry you are having so many problems again. It's the very pits, isn't it?
I can't tell you much about the hardware, because I don't have any. But I do have lots of scar tissue and I know how much trouble that can cause. The myelogram should have showed if you have nerve impingement from scar tissue, though. Your symptoms do sound like that might be the case.
I hope someone here can shed some light on this for you.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 04-14-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Problems Again

Hi,

Believe me, I know how frustrated you are. I had a fusion L4/5, L5/S1 IN 2003.

My L5/S1 is ok but the L4/5 has failed

Hopefully this is not the case with you~!
just wanted you to know that I REALLY understand your concerns

The tenderness is worrisome,...as is the continued (and worsening) pain your having - especially that it stays consistent daily always peaking high....are you still seeing a Dr now?

It could be that maybe you ARE having a hardware problem. From what I have read here from others I was hoping that was MY problem. Appears removal of hardware in many cases is like less than an hour deal! I tried all the ESI, Caudals, blocks you name it - but if you haven't perhaps you should ask your PM to do a hardware block - I knew a girl that tried this and prevented an unnecessary revision fusion.

Keep in mind March 2004 was over a year ago. Have you had any other recent tests or an MRI? I strongly urge you to get things checked out and make SURE all is ok. This would certainly help alleviate some of your worry and hopefully it's not something that can't be easily fixed.

Please keep us posted
and good luck!!

BionicWitch

Last edited by Bionicwan; 04-14-2005 at 12:57 PM.

Closed Thread