It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #1

Vie en Rose HB User
Possible Tailbone (coccyx) injury

Hi,
I think I might have injured my tailbone (coccyx) by lying on a hard, wooden surface - I spend a lot of time lying down while talking on the phone!
I have a faint black & blue bruise at the top of my "backside" cleft, and it's pretty tender to the touch. It hurts to do sit-ups and to even lie down on it (not a lot of pain - more like an ache and a sort of "burning" feeling at times). Also, it is uncomfortable when I sit for awhile (sort of a "hemorrhoid"? feeling - not really sure what they feel like!). I've noticed slight bruising in that area before, but never really noticed the aching before.
While I'm waiting for it to heal, is it ok to exercise (ex: dancing? running?)? Will this jar the bones even further? (Bike-riding is definitely out for now - )
Will I have to go to PT for this?

Thanks for any help!
-Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #2

Vie en Rose HB User
Re: Possible Tailbone (coccyx) injury

Wow! This forum is busy!
Nobody's had any tailbone problems?
-Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User

Kim,

You really need to go see your doc and get an x-ray of your coccyx. If it hurts during any activity, then don't do it I don't know that lying on the floor had anything to do with the bruising you have, but if you are in pain, then it is safe to say, you need to get checked out.

Lea

Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #4

Vie en Rose HB User

Thanks, PsychLea!
I tend to lie down on a table that's near my corded phone when talking on it. Never really bothered me too much until now. Sort of frustrating - I just got done with PT for an unstable shoulder injury. (My ligaments are sort of flexible, but not double-jointed).
The tailbone is about 2" below the SI joint dimples, right? My bruise & tenderness is at the top of my "butt crack" (for lack of a better term! ) - approx. 2" or so below the dimples.
-Kim

Old 08-25-2005, 03:23 PM   #5

archangels HB User

I have a broken coccyx, but it doesn't seem to be something that comes up much on this board. I am currently being seen at a pain clinic and wearing a Fentnyl patch. 75 mg. I have been on unpaid leave from work and I am going to try for SS Disability and LT Disability from work. Has anyone ever "won" due to chronic pain and depression?

Closed Thread