It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
Need life ring to sit on...help

Hi. I've been 10 months post op from microdisectomy and still cannot sit due to tail bone area pain. sometimes it feels like a knife is prying apart my tail area.

this is embarassing, but I can sit on the toilet, and I can sit in the hottub, so I told my PT and she said why not buy a padded toilet seat and try that in the car so I can drive again.

I did buy a padded seat with a little hole cut out in the back at the drugstore but the hole is too small.

PT said it's probably the ligaments around the tail bone that are inflammed.

The doctor had me do prednison with no result. then Neurontin, which has taken away most of the nerve pain in my leg and foot so I can walk better, but has done nothing for the tailbone area.

Next, he wants to do a cortisone shot. Pt said she thought that would help tremendously.

Someone on here mentioned they sat on a child's life ring, but I'm afraid that would be hard to balance on.

Does anyone else have this problem and found a solution? I haven't sat in 10 months. I can't drive the car and am just at my limit. When I try to sit it hurts within a minute and then gets worse and can continue to "inflame" the area and hurt worse for a week. I'm afraid I'll never sit again! Has anyone on here had this this long and gotten over it and sat again?

I ride in the passenger seat on a pillow reclined. If I put any pressure on that tail area, it hurts. My brother thinks it's hysterical that I ride reclined. He pretends he's a p imp and I'm a you know what. Humor is needed in this situation...! He does the whole pimp impersonation while I'm riding around reclined like a stiff dead body.

The doctor told me originally it would clear up in 3 months. He doesn't seem suprised. He said that it could be the nerve damage as my nerve was damaged prior to surgery and I almost lost ability to walk. He said it could be the degenerated disk itself radiating pain.

I'm scared and so very tired...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #2

Vie en Rose HB User
Re: Need life ring to sit on...help

Hi ladybird,
Do you also have trouble sleeping on your back?
Sorry to hear that you're having a rough time.
-Kim

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2005 at 07:02 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
(female)

Stageevie HB User

ladybird,

I have the same problem, although I am just three weeks post-op for micro/discectomy/lamin.

I tried to take my children to see "Robots" yesterday for my three week celebration (I have hardly been out of the house -- and I am finally allowed to drive). It was all I could to do to make it through the 90 minute movie. I felt the knive sensation and it was all I could do not to scream out after I stood up.

Evie

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2005 at 07:03 PM.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
(male)

avglenn HB User

I have also had the 10 months worth of tailbone pain. I've had 3 lumbar injections, and if anything it brough the tailbone pain down from 9 to about 7. I use one of those ccoyx cushions while Im on the computer, which helps alot. I can drive for about an hour before I have to get out for awhile. But driving is the worst by far. Guarantee my next vehicle will have the lumbar controls for my back & a nice cushy seat...lol.

Last edited by danagc; 04-15-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi,

My doctor last year had me to get one of those ring you can blow up. You can get them at med supply stores. Instead of using air, fill it with water and it absorbs more of the motion and bumps you might feel otherwise. They cost about $7, so might be worth a try.

I drive a Grand Marquis LS, which has the 8 way seats with power adjustable lumbar cushions. Could not stand to drive without it. After trying others, I will drive when friends and I are going somewhere as can't take the other seats.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
(female)

So, you both use some kind of cushion. I will try a medical supply store for that one maybe. Looks like there a few to try. I never knew about these.

What does your doctor say about your pain? Will it go away? What is causing it? Nerve? Ligaments? ??

Did you have nerve damage that is contributing to it?

I hope we will be pain free some day.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
(female)

I called the medical supply and they only have cushions with small holes in them. I need a large hole. The one I have now has a small hole cut out in it, only 4 x 6 inches, and it does not relieve my tailbone pain like sitting on the toilet seat does.

I am confused on what is available to me. The blow up cushion, does it have a hole in it? Does it need a hole? I cannot drive and cannot have someone drive me all over the place to find something that works. I need to know where to go and what t hey have so we don't make multiple trips. I may have to just buy a padded toilet seat.

Old 04-16-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Ladybird,

Unless you are 100% fused, refuse the steroids, either oral or shots. It could impede the fusion process.

As for the seat, I would just buy a pretty padded toilet seat and carry it around with me. I would have someone make a nice carry bag for it and make a fashion statement with it. Look at all those silly fashions that are out these days. I would carry it to stores, resturaunts, everywhere. I would discuss it everywhere I went and try to market them.

You are right, the toilet is sometimes the most comfortable place to sit. I had $400 worth of struts put on my car so that I could ride in it, but my toilet seat is much more comfortable.

I am not joking with you about the marketing idea. Why not bring it out of the closet? If over 80% of the population is gonna suffer from back related problems in their life time, then that is a population to market to. We had a section in our local paper about a homeshow and who is buying what, geeks or geezers. The Geezers are a huge part of the buying population.

Toke that toilet seat around with pride

take care,

Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I can't sit either for longer than 10 minutes. I either lay down across the seat in the back or sit on a cushion called Obus Forme. Although it does have a hole cut - it is very comfortable because it has air in it. I can't feel the pressure on my tailbone. It's alittle hard to explain but the hole isn't in the middle like a doughnut but at the back, and the cushion has air in it. Unfortunately, I've got this sitting problem and haven't had surgery yet.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-17-2005 at 05:48 AM. Reason: please use brand names only

Old 04-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Home Health Products stores sell these things that look like wedgies, with a hole cut out for your spine. They run about $29.99.

Closed Thread