It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

gcbpgh HB User
Talking Had my appointment today in pgh pa

This is for all but especially Shawley, today I seen Dr. Werries, very nice, extremely thorough, and I really can't say yet if I would reccommend him.
How is that for confusing. He went over my hospital notes, looked at my recent December mri, and just feels that the buldging disc should be left alone. I need to deal with the pain.
Where is my pain coming from, he feels I have bursitis in my hip. I never had bursitis before, so I looked it up and the pain described in bursitis is down the outside of the leg.
My pain is down the inside of my leg and in the knee with that awful pain in the calf of the leg. And my lower back. He gave me a shot, suggested I slow down on the percocet, try Alieve, (oh yea, that will work) and give myself a year to heal from the lamenectomy.
I think that is about it, right now, the way I am feeling, I can't reccommend anyone here, I might go to Cleveland Clinic right after I take a bottle of Alieve, Take care,
gcb in pgh

Old 04-15-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

FriarJen83 HB User
Re: Had my appointment today in pgh pa

Hi Gcb
How's it going? I was just reading your post and was curious to what other doctors and other things you have tried here in pittsburgh. I also live in pittsburgh and have seen tons of doctors and everything else here. I am looking into getting to John hopkins because I havent found anyone to help me here either. anyway, I wish you all the best with your search for a good doctor and relief!
~Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

Dr. Daniel Wecht (Cyrils son) did my surgery in August, three weeks after surgery I ended up back in Shadyside with an infection from the surgery and went in to congestive heart failure (I am only 53) never had any heart problems before or now. So I am lucky in that way.
Outside of Wecht, Dr Engle from Mercy and Dr.Werries today, that covers it with neurosurgeons, I have been to pt and with a chiropractor for the last 4 years since my accident.
I definitely do not reccommend Dr. Wecht. He told me he would clean out the buldging discs, and do a lamenectomy with or without hardward and I believed him. The day of surgery he was running over 3 hours behind and spent only 40 minutes on my surgery. I never seen him again until Septmeber at my follow up appointment. When I asked him why he did not take out the buldging discs he just said " I just didn't" and I was dismissed. He is not like his father at all so I chose a doctor for the wrong reasons. I had always respected his dads intelligence and talent and gave him that same respect which was misplaced.
I called his office when my pain was worse instead of gone as he said it would be and all 3 calls were not returned. Which may explain my distain for him.
From reading these boards you get the feeling that nerosurgeons do put themselves in a superior class. We are at their mercy. Who will you see at John Hopkins? Please let me know, if my pain continues, I will keep trying to stop it. I want to get my life back, at least part of it. Take care,
gcb in pgh

Last edited by gcbpgh; 04-15-2005 at 07:13 PM.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

sorry for what your dealing with......just wanted to wish you well.

perhaps you should see another Dr and see what he says?
I can see understand the bursitus in your hip causing (hip) pain, and maybe I'm wrong but calf pain too?

when was your Lami?

Old 04-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

Thanks for the respond, my laminectomy was Aug 20, 2004. I looked up bursitis and it says that pain is in the hip and down the outer leg. My pain is in the lower back, hip and down the inner leg. Also it seems that bursitis is usually found in runners, I have been in active for over a year now. I feel bad when I see all of your problems on the boards. It is so overwhelming for many with all the back pain and no one can help. I was up all night from the shot and the pain, gives you alot of time for thinking. Take care
gcb in pgh

Old 04-17-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
(female)

FriarJen83 HB User

Hi gcb,
well, I will definitely remember that name as one that I will never see. I too am sorry about all that you are going through. I know how difficult and overwhelming it can be. I really hope that you find an answer to these problems. I have seen a whole bunch of docs for my back here. I saw Dr. Kelly at South hills Ortho., Dr. Krohn at Mercy, Dr. Ward at UPMC, Dr. Kang at UPMC, and a variety of PT, chiro, pain management at UPMC - Dr. Cicuto and Dr. Rizk- and now at West Penn Hospital - Dr. Marinelli. I have never seen a neuro, only orthos. The most recent one was Dr. kang last summer...he is supposed to be the best from what I've heard...and he told me that he would do a fusion if I wanted, but that he wouldn't recommend it because my problems are in the thoracic...compression fractures, collapsed discs, arthritis, etc. I am definitely at the end of my rope. I dropped out of school in Canada in Feb. becuase the pain was so unbearable and I am only 21. I really need to find someone that will help me. I don't have an appt. yet at John Hopkins because my health insurance is giving me trouble. But I am praying that it will be the answer for me. I have heard SOOO many stories of people that have been helped there when no one else could help them.
How is your hip after the shot? I am starting another round of ESIs next week...NOT looking forward to it!!! anyway, God bless you and I hope you're doing okay!
~Jen

Old 04-17-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
(female)

gcbpgh HB User
Smile Re: Had my appointment today in pgh pa

Oh my, you are too young for such problems, I am so sorry, how did this start for you? I did see Dr. Kelly when my accident first happened, forgot about him, I think he is retired now. He was no help, he told me to keep seeing my chiro. She is the only one who has given me some relief but its brief.
I also have 2 buldging discs in the neck and 2 in the mid back area, all from the accident. Nothing is like the lower back disc, the pain is overwhelming at times.
Regarding the shot, I have to say Friday night was awful and so was Sat but today my hip is okay and I worked today. I will have to take back all the awful things I said about Werries if the shot works. He did say my back will not heal for a year, and not to expect the swelling to go done. If you follow these boards that seems to be what happens. Also, keep icing.
Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Insurance can be a problem out of state let me know if you do go. take care
gcb in pgh

Old 04-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
(female)

FriarJen83 HB User

yes I agree I am too young. The thing that makes me the most frustrated and annoyed is that there is no reason for the problems I have. When I was 18 I woke up one day in horrible pain and it has been there ever since. Never been in an accident or had an injury...it just makes no sense to me or to any dr. that I have ever seen. I saw Dr. Kelly first, had an MRI and found the compression fractures, then the discs, arthritis and bone spurs, then Scheurmanns disease, and then herniated discs at L3-4 and 4-5 with nerve damage. I am so confused as to why I have all these things!!! All I want is to get on with my life and school and find a career that I love and I have been stuck here for the past 3 years trying everything and anything to help my back.
I did hear today from my insurance company that they approved the initial appt. at John Hopkins, but whatever tests need done will have to be done in pgh. I guess that's better than nothing. I'll be seeing Dr. Bellzberg I think his name is. Anyway, glad your hip is doing better! see you around!
~Jen

Old 04-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #9
(female)

gcbpgh HB User
Cool Re: Had my appointment today in pgh pa

good luck with your appointment, please let me know when you go and how it all goes.
my son who is 25 now, when he was born the doctor told me that I carried him wrong and he would need corrective shoes. He was in them 24 hours a day for 6 years, when he went to second grade, he could not run with the other kids, he just kind of waddled, I was at every doctor available.

At that time, my husband had hurt his shoulder and the ortho doctor wanted to operate on it. He said no, I want to try a chiropractor first, he did and relief for him was immediate, so one day I told this chiropractor about my son and would he look at him, he did, and took x-rays and showed us that my sons hip was out from birth. He put it back in place and his entire life changed.
His name was Dr. Pierce unfortuately he died awhile ago. My point is for 6 years I went everywhere, he wore those awful shoes, no one could help him because he was misdiagnosed at birth . I was judged as the over protective mother fusing over her only child.
Maybe something like that happened to you, maybe you were dropped and everyone thought you were okay. Things happen and no one can explain it sometimes. Have you ever had a bruise and don't remember hurting yourself. My thinking is something had to cause this but you might not find out what, just find out can they help you so you can have your life. Keep trying though, don't lose hope and you will overcome this too. Take care,
gcb

Closed Thread