It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
ew, it still hurts

I know abdomen incisons are the worst and can take forever to heal, but I am kind of worried. All of a sudden it seems to be hurting more. But, not the incision site its self. My incison is appx 1.5 inches to the left of my belly button and 2 inches down and goes in a diagonal towards my groin from left to right and the cut is about three or so inches long. The incision site is still numb, but the part that hurts is right under the belly button, a good inch or so from the incision. The site is still swollen and sometimes the incision does get uncomfortable, but lately I am have an increase in discomfort. I haven't been feeling well either, been nauseated the past couple of nights, but might be a coinsidence that it happens with the pain. I have no fever, no redness and the area isn't unusually warm, so I pretty much can 100% rule out any infection (besides, it has been long enough, if it was to get infected, It would have quite some time ago). I am four months post op from my a/p two level lumbar fusion. Am I just being too anxious and more time needs to pass before it will go away, or should I ask a dr about this (don't know if I can really ask my surgeon since he is in another state now and couldn't even look at the area or feel it).
Any thoughts would be great.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: ew, it still hurts

Mel,

I really have NO idea what this could be. Maybe it has nothing to do with a "post op" problem?" - I hope it's not related to the surgery. Have you gotten a new Dr where you live now?

I hope you feel better soon
BW

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Mel,

I'm with BW, and the location and description is a mystery. Have you had any x-rays since surgery? There's not a possibility of something being left in from the surgery, is there? Not trying to scare you, but at this point, if you have found a primary care doc and not a new back doc, then I'd call for an appointment and get it checked out. Four months post-op, this doesn't sound perfect.

When an anterior approach was used on me, it began above the belly button, ran just barely to the side of the belly button and back under the button and down. My incision was about 8 inches, and honestly, as much as I had worried about it, it was my easiest healing and fastest recovery surgery. I fretted they would get my intestines twisted when they took them out, but all was fine.

I sincerely hope that this is nothing and checking it out is wasted effort, but you sure don't want something to go wrong because you didn't pay attention to it. Please, let us know what you learn and I hope you can tell us I was goofy and all is good.

Best wishes.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks, I sure will seek one dr to check it out. Should I go to my primary or the new neck dr I have? I guess it wouldn't matter which I saw since neither did my surgery. I could call my doc in Vegas and ask I guess, but I bet they say that it is normal. Some girls at work say it sounds normal, others say to check it out. I will err on the side of caution and have it checked out.
Thank you both!

Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Mel,
Unfortunatly I have had to have 7 Abdominal Surgeries, 3 of them were emergency c-sections and the other were more recent for a total abdominal Hysterectomy among other things, there are a few things I can help with I think.
I was told by my Doctor years ago that the scar itself will be numb for approx 5 years, thats when the feeling came back. Also, I have a painful lump beside the belly button, that is a knot from the stitches being so tight the tissue inside can form a lump, it will be painful if the area muscles are used too much or even pushed on with your hand or finger to feel it.
My last surgery was 2 years ago for severe scar tissue, the scar is from 1" above the navel all the way down, it is still painful due to the muscle and nerves being cut, the muscles will eventually get better and tighten back up. However the nerves take alot longer. I have had a few Novocaine injections in the most tender area's of where the nerves are so painful. Don't waste your money, they don't work. Abdominal Surgeries cut alot more than skin and the nerves inside have to regrow, this can take along time, mostly-years. But it DOES get better.
Good luck to you, I hope your feeling better very soon,
Stardust

Old 04-17-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Star, I have been doing abdominal exercises to tighten up that area b/c I have lost muscle mass there since surgery. Do you think the workouts could be the problem?

Old 04-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Mel,
I really wouldn't push the abs. everyday working, lifting, light aerobics, will take care of that on it's own. It's not like the muscles in your back, you use your abs all the time, even without knowing it. I WOULD do SOME abs, but don't aggravate it. The Nerves are in the same area. The harder you try, I'll bet the worse you feel, right?
Those abs will heal LONG before the nerves do.
Also the area that was cut, was muscle. You don't get that area flat again. They do have plastic surgeries now that will remove the scars and reattach those muscles.
I got back into a size 5 approx 6 months after each surgery without even trying, however I will always have a pooch where they cut.
Stardust

Closed Thread