It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2005, 04:40 AM   #1
(female)

Conklette HB User
Clamshell Brace

I'm scheduled for surgery 4/20 and was told I will be fitted for a Clamshell brace to wear at least for the first month. Has anyone worn this type of brace and can you tell me what it is like? I'm having Posterior Lumber Fusion with Spinal Instrumentation L5/S1. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Conklette; 04-16-2005 at 06:30 AM.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
(male)

CONCERNED 2 HB User
Re: Clamshell Brace

I'VE HAD THAT BRACE FOR MY FUSION. AT FIRST YOU DON'T LIKE IT. DO WHAT THEY SAY ,WHERE IT WHEN YOU GET UP. BECAUSE SOMETIMES SH-T HAPPENS.SLOWLY WEEN YOURSELF OFF IT AND YOU WILL BE ALRIGHT.IT'S A ***** IN THE HEAT ,BUT WHERE SOMETHING LITE UNDER IT.
HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
(female)

Conklette HB User

[QUOTE=CONCERNED 2]I'VE HAD THAT BRACE FOR MY FUSION. AT FIRST YOU DON'T LIKE IT. DO WHAT THEY SAY ,WHERE IT WHEN YOU GET UP. BECAUSE SOMETIMES SH-T HAPPENS.SLOWLY WEEN YOURSELF OFF IT AND YOU WILL BE ALRIGHT.IT'S A ***** IN THE HEAT ,BUT WHERE SOMETHING LITE UNDER IT.
HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area too....its getting HOT now.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Conk

I'm in FL too - sounds like we have a long hot and not so fun summer ahead of us.....but NEXT summer perhaps we can BOTH have a real life and do some fun summer stuff instead of modeling the latest in BRACE fashion - LOL

Old 04-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

Conklette HB User

[QUOTE=BionicWitch]Conk

I'm in FL too - sounds like we have a long hot and not so fun summer ahead of us.....but NEXT summer perhaps we can BOTH have a real life and do some fun summer stuff instead of modeling the latest in BRACE fashion - LOL[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan. Where did you have your surgery done?

Old 04-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User

I absolutely hated my clamshell brace! It was heavy and cumbersome, and difficult to put on. It made me walk like a penguin.

Be sure and have the orthotic people drill ventilation holes for you. Get you some boybeater T-shirts to wear underneath. I had some really big T-shirts that I also wore over the brace.

I am 10 weeks postop and now have an Aspen lumbar corset which is soooo much better, lighter, and easier to wear.

Be sure you have a cane handy. I tended to wobble alot (still do some) and the cane has saved me from many a fall.

Lea

Old 04-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

I'm having revisin fusion done, haven't had it yet.

It will be done at USF in Tampa hopefully in the next few weeks.

Old 04-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

I've never had the clamshell brace, even for my 10 level fusion. Guess that's another one of those things that are particular preferrences to different docs, or maybe even based on patients needs. My doc instructs me to not bend the back, no squatting, no stooping, no lifting, etc until he tells me otherwise. We go over that type thing at each appointment, so that when I'm allowed to return to activites, he then gives me limits, such as how much weight.

Not in FLA like you and Bionic, but it's already 80 here in TN, and I'm glad I'm not in a brace. Had one on my arm for years, and it had that foam lining. Wasn't really uncomfortable, but hot as all get out. Maybe you need to ask if they can drill a number of breathing holes in the brace to help it keep cooled there in FLA.

Best wishes for success with your surgery and a great recovery.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

great idea QC, would never have know that had it not been for you guys and your experience and wisdom!

Thank you ~
I shall ask him.

> one more ?: Do I have to sleep with this thing on too? or only when I am up outta bed? Geeeeeeez I sure hope I don't have to sleep in it
and isn't it painful against the incision(s) immediately after surgery

Last edited by Bionicwan; 04-17-2005 at 03:02 AM.

Old 04-17-2005, 04:53 AM   #10
(female)

rowboat HB User

My doc said I will have to wear one, too if I go ahead with surgery. I asked specifically if I had to wear it to sleep. They said no, only when you are weight bearing. (so if I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I have to put it on). I have one silly question, though, how do you shower with it????

Bec

Old 04-17-2005, 04:58 AM   #11
(female)

Conklette HB User

I'm getting alot of good info from you guys. Doesn't sound like this thing is pleasant, now the Dr did tell me to wear a thin cotton t-shirt under it so it doesn't rub your skin. I guess I will go buy a few bigger shirts to wear over it too..lol

Its going to be so HOT!!

Closed Thread