It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

Amica HB User
Recliner/Hospital Bed and Sitting

I had a L4-5 fusion on March 23. I came home 3 days later and we rented a hospital bed to put in the living room so that I could lay down and be out where the action is. I know not to sit more than 3 times a day at 20 minutes each and I haven't. Just wondering....it seems like when I am on the hospital bed and have the head part lifted up that it is almost like sitting. I asked my doctor about it and he said it was ok as long as my feet were up. Does anyone else use a hospital bed with the head elevated or a recliner? Is this different than "sitting"? Thanks so much for your help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User
Re: Recliner/Hospital Bed and Sitting

Using a recliner is okay as long as it is "reclined", not just the feet up. The whole idea is to keep pressure off your lower back. So being in a hosp bed with the head somewhat elevated is supporting you so that your lower back is not taking all the weight.
Hope that helped.

Carol
morphine pump

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
(female)

tammys HB User
Re: Recliner/Hospital Bed and Sitting

Amica, I didn't use a hospital bed, but I promise my recliner has been used ALOT. Many nights when I can not get comfortable in bed, I will go to the recliner and recline it and sleep right there. I recline the chair and have a pillow under my legs to get the pressure off my back. My doctor said that doing this would not hurt me at all. When I was in the hospital, I wondered if laying in bed with the head elevated was not the same as sitting, but the doctor assured me that with my legs up taking some of the pressure off the lower back was not sitting at all.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Closed Thread