It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

Valley HB User
Thumbs down Anybody having restless leg syndrome?

Hi, I have started having restless leg syndrome, and it keeps me awake at night and it about to drive me crazy, it just about makes me want to scream, I called the nurse and she wasn't much help, just said that a lot of people got that, but she would tell the doctor tomorrow when he was in the office.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
(female)

Stageevie HB User
Re: Anybody having restless leg syndrome?

I don't have this, but my husband does. It didn't bother him, but it did wake me up during the night. His doctor told him no more caffeine and to get some exercise every day. It has helped, although he cheats on the caffeine sometimes.

When I was weaning off the lortabs, I did experience leg jumps for the first couple nights. It was unsettling.

I am sorry you are having this problem and I hope your doctor can help you.

Evie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #3

lee6kids HB User

I too have restless legs symdrome and I have restless arms syndrome
I use tegratol at night which has stopped this for me. I did find also cutting down on the coffee at night makes a big difference try not to have tea or coffee after 4 oclock if you drink it.
Lee

Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

My doc gave me Klonipin to take at bedtime when I was having restless leg syndrome. Worked fine but I stayed sleepy the next morning, so was glad I didn't need it for too long.

Hope your doc will prescribe you something tomorrow.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:19 AM   #5

NaeNae HB User

I get Restless Leg BAD! Since I'm on Hydrocodone for my back, if I cut back at any time, it flares up. But I remember it happening as a kid, too. It is the worst feeling. What's weird is the epicenter of it all seems to be in the uterine area, then of course my legs and arms are affected. Of course if I take an opoid, it knocks it right out and I'm back asleep. My doctor prescribed Neurontin, but I haven't tried it. One of the only non-medicated things that have worked excellent for me is Tonic Water. It has Quinine in it, which calms your RLS. I thought it was bull when I first heard that, but thought, 'what the heck'? The first night I hated the taste of it, but drank a tumbler glass amount. I slept through the night! So every night after that I tried it, got used to the taste and even started craving it every night and it helped sooo much! Just have a glass shortly before bed. You don't have to chug it or anything, just have it as you would a glass of water at night while watching TV or something before you are down for the night. HTH!

Old 04-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #6
(female)

gcbpgh HB User

Yes, my legs especially the left one is just crazy all the time. I can be laying down, sitting, driving or walking and it feels like there are little worms zipping through my veins, then you have the muscle spasms that go through your legs. When I try to ask the doctors about this, it one of those things that they just don't have an answer for, I get a look and a "uh huh" and thats it. It is one of the worse feelings. I have tried everything including a doctor for circulation, he said "uh Huh", I think your problem is in your back because the $10,000. we spent doing all these tests don't reveal a thing. Your not crazy, some people have them but it seems most do not, I sleep with 2 pillows under my knees when its really bad and ice your back. Take care,
gcb in pgh

Last edited by gcbpgh; 04-19-2005 at 07:02 AM.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

I have had restless legs for almost 40 years, It doesn't bother me much now because of all the pain meds but I'm a memberof the RLS foundation and the news letter I got yesterday said that with the research they have found it comes from the chromosome 12 where the gene responsible for certain the brain inability to process iron. They have alot of new meds on the market that help. and they also say it is hereditary

Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
(female)

lucylane HB User

This is what worked for my mom. Clonazepam anti-anxiety tablets. She takes 2 at bedtime and it keeps the rls away.

Closed Thread