It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
saddened

well, I still haven't heard from my dr regarding my last set of xrays (done two fridays ago). I really want the okay to get out of my brace for good(though I think I will def keep it on hand in case I feel I need a little support here and there). But, that isn't exactly the real sadness here.
I have been pretty good about taking my percocet only two times a day. My 10/325 before work or at work around three pm and a 5/325 at bedtime (though I don't always take one, depends on how I feel). Well, today was the FIRST time in eight months that I went all day without pain meds and I was very disappointed. usually I am okay in the am, but by afternoon my neck pain will kick in and by bedtime my nerve pain from my surgery in my lumbar spine kicks in. Lately, as from a previous post, I have had increased pain at the "umbilical" region of my abdomen, or right under the belly button. It swells up during the day and becomes a bit painful. I already knew the area of the scar would be numb and take a while to heal, but even so, the dr at work said I should follow up with a dr here, and a couple of nurses including my mom said there could be a risk of a hernia from the scar tissue pulling the muscle and me being active. Even if that is negative, better safe that sorry I guess.
Anyway, So I got to work and realized I forgot my pills. I took 1500 mg of Tylenol and about an hour later my pain started. It just got worse.I was so uncomfortable for the entire 8 hour shift. I took another 1000mg at 7 and an hour later 800 mg of motrin. Nothing really helped. After the motrin it was better, but not enough.
I had EVERYTHING. Headaches, shoulder pain, arm pain (kept dropping stuff too),(though no real weakness), pectoral pain here and there, neck pain in the front and back of neck, burning pain down the middle of my upper back/spine, a bad spasm in the right upper rib cage. My brace caused pain too, very uncomfortable in it. I also had that nerve pain in my left upper buttock that I get every night at work. It hurts enough that I need to get a script for neurontin(should I see a PM doc to take over this care here in MO?, or go to the neck dr?)
With all this I got a mild increase in temperature (99.5) which is warm for me, and a big HINT from my body that it hurts (did this in the hospital too, when it was getting close for pain meds and I was hurting badly, my temp would go up to 100.6 ( I know, not a lot, but when my temp would climb, it was a hint that I needed some pain meds soon).
I got very tired of course, and the fact I went to bed near one am last night, got up at seven fifteen this am for PT (shoulder and neck) and then cleaned when I got home, and laid out in the sun for 40 mins AND took a nap for 30 mins before work didn't help either. It was just NOT a good day. I was just about to doze off when we found a mouse in the bedroom, so we spent 15 mins catching it and finally we did (even with hubby squeeling like a GIRL) and now I am awake. I did take my pain meds and I hurt as I type, but I am on the heating pad and the pain is bearable.
So anyway, like I said, very saddened that I still need my pain meds to function outside of my home. It has been four months since my a/p 2 level ILF, and I know it could be another year before I really get a handle on the pain, but you allknow, I am trying to go to school in August for LPN, and it is an 8 hour day from 7-4 all day in class (not like typical college, this is like being in highschool again). I really need more help from drs I think. It really isn't far off and If I don't get a handle on what pain I still have, I doubt I could sit through a whole 8 hours of class.
So, that is the current update. As soon as I hear from the surgeon regarding my brace and so forth, I'll let ya know.
HOpe you are all doing well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Re: saddened

Mel ,
I am so sorry to hear your so sad. Yes, you probably do have a Hernia, most people do after abdominal surgeries. Mine is under the painful umbilical area, and I was told they don't take them out, even if they are HUGE. As long as they don't cause a Medical problem. Your Doctor should of taken you out of our brace along time ago. Does he know your still wearing it? My Surgeon took me off of mine because it keeps the lower ab & back muscles from stregthening. You should not still be in the brace, You said you wanted to keep it around for future support? Once your out of it, stay out of it unless your told specifically to put it back on, otherwise your never going to be out of pain or have any muscle control. Trust me it's hard. I have a post on here I could really use your advice on, My surgery was only a Posterior Minimlly Invasive, [U]not even close to what you had[/U]. But we've always been there for each other, so maybe you know something I don't, escpecially talking of all the nerve pains, etc. If your up to it, Mine is "Confused need advice-Post op leg pain." I'de bet my appt tomorrow you know more than they do . And sometimes that can be a problem and cause depression, sorta like a Doctor becoming a patient thing. But I know you, this is not like you at all. Can you just call your Surgeon tomorrow and ASK about the BRace, Let them know your still wearing it and for how long, and ask about the films while your on the phone? I'd bet he doesn't even know your still wearing it.
Let me know how things go, I hope your sleeping by now, it's 4am here and I am jumpy tonight, so I am up and found your message.
Good luck at work tomorrow. I'll be praying for a SUNNY,PAINFREE DAY
StarDust

Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: saddened

He told me when I left Vegas that this last set of xrays would show if the brace could come off for good. So, that is the call I am waiting for. I do cheat though, and I don't wear it usually at home, only when I leave. Sometimes I take it off at work and work on my ab muscles. I also do ab workouts at home to strengthen them again.
I am doing better today after a restful sleep. I have to fill my script today too, only have one perc left.
I am glad you wrote back, always makes me feel better. I don't have time right now to check out your thread (I have to get my work out in before work) but I will after work tonight. My dr is in clinic today so I am praying for that phone call. I even quit wearing my stimulator a few weeks ago b/c it was making the electrode areas get little itchy bumps.
ANyway, hope your day is good, so far sunny here

Closed Thread