It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
(female)

Read66 HB User
Scared and Anxious

Well I saw the NS today to go over my surgery. I am having a Anterior lumbar interbody fusion with pedicle screw fixation. on L4-5. Or if my insurance covers it (most likely not) a artificial disc repacement. He said it might also be posterior in addition to Anterior, depends on what happens when he goes in.
I am scared and anxious. Want to have the surgery, but have so many fears. What if it doesn't work, what if there is still significant pain. I want so badly to have no pain or at least bearable pain. My doc is very clear on the success rate. Thats why it is the last resort. How do you deal if the fusion fails???? The next few weeks are going to be the longest.
I did have good questions for him, thanks to this board. You all are great, with info and support, it's amazing.
Thanks for letting me vent
Barb

Old 04-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: Scared and Anxious

Hi Barb,

Try not to worry about the what if's too much right now - try to concentrate on the positive, and hope for relief that gives you some of your life back. One of the worst things you can do is to go into this surgery anticipating 100% relief of your pain.

You deal with a failed fusion IF it occurs the same way you are dealing with the decision to have one initially. You ask yourself, DOES your quality of life suffer enough and is the pain bad enough that your at the point that your willing to attempt surgery as a solution and hope that it yields you relief.

There are no guarantees sadly, and you hope for the best and BE SURE that you have exhausted ALL other measures.

do you have a surgery date yet? or are you waiting to see what insurance says?

we wish you luck in whatever course you decide.
Bionic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Bionicwoman is right. Don't waste your energy on "what if's". You have made your decision and now it is up to the doctors and God. Keep in mind that many, many, people get lots of relief with their surgery but you don't hear a word about it because they are not hanging around message boards, looking for help and comfort!! I hope you are one of those, but that you will stick around because others really need to hear that there are successes out there.

Good luck.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 04-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
(female)

tammys HB User

I agree with Carol and Bionic, don't worry about what ifs right now. Concentrate more on the positive. Unfortunately, nobody can make guarantees on the success of surgery. We can pray for the best and hope our prayers are answered. I wish you all the luck in the world and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Remember that the board is here for you regardless of the outcome of surgery. Like Carol said, we want you to stick around [COLOR=Blue]WHEN[/COLOR] your fusion is a success so that you can be a positive influence for the rest of us.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Old 04-19-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
(female)

Read66 HB User

Bionic, Carol and Tammy

Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes ya just need to here a little straight talk
Bionic- My surgery is scheduled for May 12- the fusion for sure or the ADR if approved.
Thanks again. I appreciate you all being here to be a positive voice.
Barb

Old 04-19-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

That's what we're here for Barb

and - do you know, Rowboat {Becky}, her fusion surgery is May 12th also!

you VERY much will NOT go through this alone

Bionic

Closed Thread