It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
(male)

biogeekl5s1 HB User
Decision taken...nurse charges??

Dear Folks

After months of pondering and failed conservative treatment I have to decided to do a microdiscectomy for my 6mm central L5S1 herniation. Hopefully I should have a date soon. I also decided it would be by a neurosurgeon and not a ortho guy.

The toughest decision was to do it in this country than my home country on the other side of the planet. I am just worried I dont have a single relative in this country and just few good buddies (who have decided to help me) not knowing how much help I might need after the surgery. I hope I took the right decision.

My question is should I pay for a private nurse for few days. How much will it cost. Neurosurgeon said the operation is OP. I am hoping to get him say that I can stay in the hospital for 1 or 2 days.

What are the major areas I might need help. I thank everyone immensely for all your support during the past few months.

thanks

biogeekL5S1

Old 04-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User
Re: Decision taken...nurse charges??

If you could stay in the hospital for three days you would then be able to go to rehab for a couple of weeks. I live alone so I went to rehab.
fly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

The hospital stay depends on your health insurance company. If you can afford a nurse for a few days, sure...why not? But if you have friends who could take turns staying with you for a few days, that would probable work well enough.
Go to walmart and buy a "grabber"....they will know what you mean. Just tell them it is for after surgery, to use when you drop things on the floor and can't bend to pick them up. You'll find it very, very helpful.

Good luck with the surgery. I hope it goes well and that you have an uncomplicated recovery. Follow your doctors orders exactly and you should do well.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 04-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kaybee HB User

You'll need help with getting ice packs filled, getting dressed, driving, things like that. The hospital may send some equipment home with you such as a grabber, long shower handle, a thing to help you put your socks on. You should be seeing a physical therapist before you leave the hospital and they will show you how to get out of bed and explain your limitations. They will also get you up and walking asap.

In the hospital, unless you want to rely on nurses to get to you when they can, you'll need help to get to the bathroom.

As far as making it into a 2-3 day stay, you may need to work with the dr office prior to admission to get pre-approval from your insurance co. Some may not approve your surgery for 'inpatient' status. Outpatient, from what I understand, is basically anything less than a 24 hr stay.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=biogeekl5s1]Dear Folks

After months of pondering and failed conservative treatment I have to decided to do a microdiscectomy for my 6mm central L5S1 herniation. Hopefully I should have a date soon. I also decided it would be by a neurosurgeon and not a ortho guy.

The toughest decision was to do it in this country than my home country on the other side of the planet. I am just worried I dont have a single relative in this country and just few good buddies (who have decided to help me) not knowing how much help I might need after the surgery. I hope I took the right decision.

My question is should I pay for a private nurse for few days. How much will it cost. Neurosurgeon said the operation is OP. I am hoping to get him say that I can stay in the hospital for 1 or 2 days.

What are the major areas I might need help. I thank everyone immensely for all your support during the past few months.

thanks

biogeekL5S1[/QUOTE]

Hi.... I had a Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy L5-S1 back in June 04.....I went in that morning, had my surgery was there the rest of that day, spent the night and went home around noon the next day.... to be quite honest, I stayed by myself during the day while my partner worked, got up went to the restroom by myself, this and that, took showers by myself, He told me I could take a shower the same day I came home....but No baths..... to be quite honest it wasnt that bad the insision was only about 3 inches long at most.....Don't get me wrong I was sore, very sore.... but my Neurosurgeon told me I could bend some, if I needed to pick up something or put on my socks..... just not to over do it alot,He did not have me get any special things... grabber, shower chair... nothing like that.... He just said I could not sit for more then 5 min at a time, wanted me laying down.....He did not start me on a walking program until I went and saw him after the first week....then started me off slowly, just 1/2 a block for a few day, then a block, then a bit more, until he wanted me up to a mile 2 times a day....then he told me I could start swimming...........but the biggest thing that might be a problem is, you CAN NOT drive I think it was for 10 days for me.....Keep in mind...This is just how my Neurosurgeon did things, I suppose each has their own way...... but most of all Good Luck to you.... let us know how things go...

Take Care

Closed Thread