It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User
Angry post surgery problems, need help

Hello,

I had decompression fusion l4 l5 with hardware 6 weeks ago.

I just recently (like 3 or 4 days ago) started having terrrible pain i my hips, I can't hardly sit at all, and the calves of my legs are so very sore, like I ran 100 miles, I could understand this if it started right after I started walking at 2 weeks out.

I called Dr's office yesterday and they said if no redness or swelling, to give it some time to get better, and call later. I have also had some increased back pain, and burning in the tailbone area, the last 10 days from overdoing it about 10 days or so ago

Basically I am not doing too well.

Need advice please.

Peggy

Last edited by cervey-Peg; 04-19-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User
Re: post surgery problems, need help

Hi Peg,

so sorry to hear your not doing well.

are you using a cane? I know when I ditched the walker and went without anything I had the same symptoms. Dr thought to much stress on things to soon so I began using one. It helped me.

I do hope there is nothing wrong other than your body telling you whoa...
please try not to worry, REST up and take it easy a few days and if no differnce in pain call the Dr again.

hope you feel better
Bionic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User

Thanks for the encouragment BW, yes I am using a cane. I didn't think of that though, I wonder if if should start using my walker again.

Did you have the hip pain and sore calves like I do?

Peggy

Last edited by cervey-Peg; 04-19-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

would not hurt to use your walker awhile longer - I did in the house and stuff, especially if it will allow you to lessen your pain and keep walking.

yep - calf pain AND hip pain.

I'll never forget - actually I sorta had a flashback this afternoon while in Publix getting a few groceries.

when I was about 6weeks or so out from my fusion, I was sooooooooooooo tired of "resting & taking it easy" I thought, "I know, I'll just slip down to Publix" ...WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE. I did pretty good on the drive, albeit the store is a whole mile from my house - LOL
And once in the store I leaned on that buggy like there was no tomorrow. Thought hmmmmmmm, this is ok, I'm doing fine, just like using my walker at home right?

NOT!

I made it all the way to isle #2 and thought I was gonna DIE.

MAJOR MISTAKE, Major hip & calf pain!!! TOOOOOOO much toooo soon!!

please, take things slow and this will pass

hugs,
Bionic

Old 04-19-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
(female)

Valley HB User
Exclamation Re: post surgery problems, need help

Hi, are you by any chance sitting too much, I had hip pain from sitting up too long at a time , just take it slow and easy.Valley

Old 04-20-2005, 04:56 AM   #6
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User

I limit my sitting to around 30 min. I am doing just like I was at 4 weeks, and I felt good then. I will try to take it real easy for a while and see if this terrible back pain, hip and leg pain goes away. Thanks much.

Peggy

Old 04-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User

Hello everyone,

I finally called my Dr. about my pain, and he decided to put me on neurontin.
I hope it helps, I have heard some things about that medicine I don't like, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

hope all is well with everyone,

Peggy

Old 04-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Peg

I have been on it about a year & a half. Only side effect I have is that it does tend to make you drowsy. I take a smaller dose in the morning and the larger at bedtime and I do pretty good. It helps my nerve pain tremendously. I started out on Topomax and that one wasn't for me. It will take you awhile to see any benefits so try & hang on a few weeks also any negative effects you may see initially tend to settle down by then also. A lot of people can't take it, a lot get great relief, it's just a question of seeing which one you are.

Hope it helps you and I'm glad your Dr is addressing your continued pain.
Bionic

Old 04-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
(female)

cervey-Peg HB User

Thanks BW. It's good to hear you are taking it and it helps you. I am hoping for some good results..it's like "I need a break time" I'm sure like most of you, I have had pain for a long time, and was looking forward for my fusion and hoping for some relief, but I am slowly finding out it's not a quick fix, it takes time.

I still can't figure out why I was ok for 4 weeks, then all this nerve pain, but I guess the nerves do crazy things trying to heal.

How long do you look to be on neurontin?

I hope I am not on it long, as it is very expensive, as I don't have rx coverage.
But I guess I can figure something out if I have to.

Thanks for your post, you are always so helpful, and it is appreciated.

Hugs to you,
Peggy

Closed Thread