It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
cortisone shot for tail bone

Hey, has anyone with ongoing tail bone area pain after back surgery had a cortisone shot in that area and found it worked?

the PT said there are a lot of ligaments in the tail bone area and she thinks the cortisone shot might do the trick.

I guess if it doesn't, that doesn't mean it's ligaments? The doctor thinks it could be pain radiating from the disk or from the nerve damage, but the neurontin helped the leg and foot pain, but not the tail area pain. Nothing has touched the tail area pain.

Thanks.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: cortisone shot for tail bone

I would like to know also. I have had most of my pain in that area and wonder if it is coming from the disc damage at L5-S1 but it just does not seem like it would be. Tell me when do you have the most tailbone pain? I have a hard time laying down most of all. It puts pressure on it. Also walking causes it to hurt. It used to hurt when I was sitting but that pain has gone away. I have had no shots epidural shots. I did not know that they could inject it in the tailbone area. The only thing I was offered was in my disc damaged area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
(female)

Hi Kari,

Glad to find a fellow tail bone sufferer! Sorry yours hurts, though.

My tail bone area hurts most when i sit. It feels like a knife prying apart the tail bone. Not always, but most of the time. I can only sit on the toilet. I haven't driven a car in 10 months. This isn't a pain someone can just sit through. People don't understand that. My husband says, "Just try to sit!" yeah, like he'd sit with a knife up his you know what!

I don't know what level of pain you have. Is it sharp? Dull? both? Have you found anything that helps? Icing it helps and putting no pressure on it helps. I used to have pain in that area when walking if I overdid it. But after 10 months post op, it doesn't hurt when I walk unless I walk too far. Then the pain is sudden and so sharp I cannot move. Knifelike pain. Actually, before it gets to the knife stage, it builds up in intensity so I've learned to listen to it before it gets so bad I cannot move. I've had to stop in my tracks and my husband bring the car around to pick me up!

It can be horribly painful. But that does get better after time.

It does hurt to lay on the back too, like you. It seems any pressure on that area aggravates it and then it is aggravated for a week. Is that the case with you? My doctor said to put no pressure on that area, NONE.

As for the cortisone shot, I guess it's a shallow shot, not like a lumbar block where they inject all the way to the disk under xray. I had that and it hurt bad. I would never have it again. Hence, I've worried about the cortisone shot as far as pain.

How far post op are you?

Old 04-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
(female)

I should clarify. Doctors seem to call the shots by different names and I guess there are different shots. I get real confused on this forum about what shots people are talking about.

Mine called it a lumbar block, the shot he did on me before, where they inject a cortison like substance into the area right around the disk itself. It's a deep shot and done under xray. there are other shots. My doctor is now talking about doing a simple cortisone shot, a shallow shot, done right in the office, not at the hospital, not a big deal like the other. people get them all the time for stuff like brusitis and arthritis. So, yeah, the PT said if it's ligaments causing the pain, the simple cortisone shot should help.

Hope that clarifies. I didn't know that was an option either.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I have not had surgery. I hurt my back 3 months ago helping my husband lift a treadmill into our house. Three days after that I was at work and got back spasms and could not move to get out of my chair and had to be helped to my truck which was not a good idea because when I got home It took me 15 minutes to get into my house while I balled in pain. The doctor just gave me pain pills. Then one week later I could not walk on my own and had to have my husband come home from work to bring me to the bathroom. I had a Dr appt that day and she scheduled an MRI which found a disc protrusion. She gave me more pain pills and cortizone by mouth which really helped a lot. I have been able to walk since then.

My pain is sharp. When I walk sometimes it feels like someone is stabbing me. Mine is just a little to the left of the tailbone. I was leaning over to the left while lifting the treadmill so I assume that left side got it the worst.

If I do something that aggravates it just like you said it hurts for a week about. This is my bad week. Last week I felt great. Ice seems to help the most but last night it did not help me. It seemed to cause sharp pains when I would put the ice on it. That is the first time that has happened.

Yes I have to be careful how far I walk. I can be on my feel for about 2 hours at the most. It did hurt really bad when I would sit up until just 3 weeks ago. Now I can sit without hardly any pain most of the time.

Last night I could not sleep because of the pain. I swear if I massage it my pain gets worse. Well I treid massaging it last night and I had quite a bit of pain. I have only been taking a couple tylenol each day but I had to take a prescription Voltaren and I got to sleep after that.

Do you notice that when you bend over and stretch that you can feel it pulling and hurting right around your tailbone. That is assuming that you have tried this. I did a few weeks ago and I hurt for that entire week because of it. I can stretch but not bending over like that.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

See that fact that it is on my left side like that right at the tailbone and I was lifting most of the weight on my left side makes me think it is a torn ligament that is causing most of my problems. I do sometimes have pains that radiate directly from the disc but not very often. So do they think your's is a torn ligament?

I had to sit on a donut at work for two months. Just the last few weeks I can sit without it. It still hurts when I lay in the tub though. Sometimes I have to kind of lay on my side so I am not directly on my tailbone. Do you have that problem?

Old 04-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
(female)

If you have a herniation, I learned not to sit for long as that puts load on the spine, and do not bend, twist or lift as it takes 6 weeks for the tear to heal over, and then months really, of taking it easy for it to heal really well from what I understand. I continued to do those things and mine never healed and then got worse. I kept bending, thinking I was supposed to stretch my spine, and found out that I was only causing it to bulge further.

I had ice and massage cause pain too at about 6 mons post op and my physical t herapist backed off on the ice and massage and had me only lightly touch those areas to desensitize them.

I took prednisone and it did nothing for me, nor did the lumbar block. But I had a big tear and pretty bad nerve damage.

Good luck. I'm off for a walk but will check back later. I do'nt want to give advise, just share what I've learned the hard way.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Thumbs down Re: cortisone shot for tail bone

Yeah I learned the hard way not to bend over. It had been 2 1/2 months and I was doing hamstring stretches every day and that works good. When I do them I do not bend my back at all. That was one of the exercises on the pamphlet my doctor gave me. So I thought I was doing pretty good and I thought I would see how close I could get to touching my toes. Ewwwwww are you cringing now? I could touch them before all of this. Well I was not able to and I did not force myself at all I just hung over very gently and felt pulling in the tissue right around my tailbone. I thought hey this is good I can get this kink out and all stretched out. Well the next day was when the pain began again. I'll never do that again.

Yeah what I have read bending is supposed to be good but I can also see how it could keep pushing on the disc and keep it from healing. sometimes it's hard to know what to do. After surgery though I hear bending is bad until healed.

I think my job is probably not good for this disc problem because I sit for long hours. Yesterday I was sitting for 7 hours with only 2 breaks for 15 minutes. I think that is mostly why I was in pain last night trying to sleep. It was very tough to sit when I went back to work but I had no choice and suffered through it. I squirmed so much in my chair. I still do quite a bit but I can find a comfortable position for about 15 minutes at a time.

Hopefully someone will post about the tailbone shots. They gave me shots twice but not by my tailbone. One was a muscle relaxer mixed with demeral and they gave it right in my cheek. Hardly touched the pain. That was just a pain reliever though. Not cortizone. I don't think it was close enough to where the pain was coming from. I wonder if like you say they give cortisone right by the ligaments if that would help. I would be interested to find out. Anyone hear of this or have it done?

Old 04-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
(female)

I cringed when you said you bent over to touch your toes. YOOWWEE! Yeah, I made so many mistakes, doing things I wasn't supposed to, and that's why I had to have the surgery. Hope you heal quick!

Anybody chime in about this???

Old 04-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I have a feeling that no one is going to respond to this one much. I posted 2 1/2 months ago about my tailbone pain and only 1 other person had that same problem back then that happenened to see my post. I tried posting twice about tailbone problems and did not get much response.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:00 AM   #11

lee6kids HB User

Hi
I had a cortizone shot in my tailbone when I was 15 and it was sooooo painful.
It worked though and I don't have that problem anymore.
My problem was not sitting down it was trying to get back up after sitting down. It was like someone stabbing a knife up my #*#$.
It might be worth a try.
lee

Old 04-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
(female)

Tirzah HB User

Besides my t5,t6 and t9 fractures I have been having alot of problem in my tail bone area. I hurt so bad that I can't tell if it is tail bone or lumbar. It has been getting worse with sitting and walking. If I have sat or walked too much then the pain goes into my hip, down my leg, into my foot and the front of my lower leg tingles. It also feels like I am trying to lay on a ball or something when I lay on my back. I can't lay on my stomach because I am in a brace for my fractures and it makes my ribs scream.
I am getting extremely frustrated. I see my ortho again next week.

I know what others are going through and you all have my prayers.
Tirzah

Old 04-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
(female)

Tirz,

I have that pain down the butt, hip, leg and to the foot too. It's the nerve. It might also be the nerve causing the tail bone area pain too. I'll post more on this one after i see the doc Monday. And when I get the cortisone shot, I'll let you all know if it helped or not.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #14
(female)

Tirzah HB User

Thanks Ladybird- Since I see my ortho on Tuesday it will help to know what you find out.

I just thought of a question for you- When you walk do you find that after awhile your foot will drag? Mine does and I'm afraid that one of these days I am going to land on my face. I called my ortho last week and he has taken me off the treadmill and wants me to try the bike. I can only go for 5 minutes.I have to lean forward or else it hurts. Do you do pt?

Last edited by Tirzah; 04-22-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #15
(female)

tammys HB User

I too have suffered from the "Mighty Tailbone Pain". I also had cortisone shots mixed with lidocaine, miracaine and xylacaine. It relieved it until all of the "caines" wore off and that was it. If your PT thinks it will help, then go for it. It is painful for the first couple of minutes until the "caines" take effect, but then it is sorta numb. Hopefully they plan on mixing it up with the "caines" and you will get some relief.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Closed Thread