It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
Questions on Topamax and neurontin

For those of you who have used Topamax, did it make you sleepy all day long?

If you are currently taking neurontin and switch to the topamax, can you go right from one to the other or do you wean off the one and then start the other, leaving you in pain in between periods? and did going from one to the other cause any severe side effects?

The neurontin stops 95% of my nerve pain but leaves me so groggy I can't stay awake and I've been on it now 42 days w/loss of all side effects except sleepiness and severe memory loss. anyone on neurontin ever overcome the sleepiness? I fell asleep in the pool of all places. I have no desire to do anything at all. A zombie. I'm sapped of all energy.

What side effects with topamax? doctor said topamax causes more side effects than neurontin.

I don't think I can stay on neurontin with this level of sleepiness, but I can't go back to that pain, so considering topamax. See him next monday and wanted some input from people who have used the topamax. Don't want to try something that's just going to make me this sleepy. If Topamax doesn't cause this sleepiness then maybe I'll try it. Very hard to find right medication.

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: Questions on Topamax and neurontin

I was on neurontin and it did nothing for me. Topomax is an evil drug (IMHO). I got soooooo sick on it. Neurontin did make me sleepy but I don't recall Topomax doing that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I only took 50 mg of Topomax each day, and I did experience the "funny food" taste, but when I was on Neurontin, I ate everything in sight.

I'm always sleepy during the day, so I don't know if it was the Topomax or not.

whackedback

Old 04-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

I take both (!!). Topomax for migraines for about 2 years now - and it works wonders (doesn't do a thing for my back which was injured while I was on the Topomax). Watch the dose tho - when mine got too high (150 mg) I started repeating myself (without realizing it) and forgetting words... also at any dose carbonated drinks taste awful (bye bye diet coke!) I just started Neurotin and am up to 400 mg a day, so far its not doing much bad or good =(... But I read a study that neurotin + morphine is great together for nerve pain so have asked to see if there is a chance to change my pain med from oxycontin (which my dr very grudgingly gives) to the durasic (sp?) patch (he seems more ok with this one).... maybe the combo will work better??

I have not noticed the sleepy effect of Topomax or Neurotin but did a SLOW build up on each (esp. the topamax) and again, when the dose cause side effects, told my dr, and then we brought it down to where they subsided... By the way... migraines went from 2-3 a week to 2 in last 3 months!!

Old 04-21-2005, 10:20 AM   #5

acl828 HB User

I took Neurontin for a LONG time and it helped me none. My pain doctor put me on Topamax and it was awful! It had an opposite effect on me. I was unable to sleep and was very nervous when I took it. I called my doc and requested to be taken off. Thankfully, he agreed. For each person medication can act very differently than in others. I've learned to listen to my own body and let the docs know what I can and can not handle. I now keep a list of those that have given me problems. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #6
(female)

GP883 HB User

I took neurontin and switched to topamax due to being very sleepy.. I only switched for 2 days... My Dr. told me to stop the neurontin and start taking topamax.. No weaning period. about 2 days after stopping neurontin and going on topamax I started having increased nerve pain.. So i called the Dr. and he told me to stop the topamax and stay on the neurontin with a lowered dose and then work back up to where I was before and hopefully that would work... which it did... my system took awhile to get use to the neurontin.

Lisa

Old 04-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

Okay, thanks for the input. Obviously, everyone reacts differently to these meds. I just wanted some input before I go to the doctor. I'd like to take a smaller dose and might try that. Maybe that would reduce the sleepiness. Did any of you ever get over the memory loss on neurontin or did that stay with you the whole time you were on it? I cannot hold a thought or remember anything for more than 3 seconds literally. I think that I'm having a very bad reaction to this drug.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Topomax:
I too could not sleep & was very antsy. .
And the HORRIBLE way it altered everything I ate!
and the worst >>> NO PEPSI
Of course I gladly would have stayed on it and traded my soda weakness for pain relief but it didn't help my pain at all!
It does tend to kill your appetite and in turn many loose lots of weight. I have a friend who it does help and to boot, she has lost 30lbs on it!
I was only on it a couple weeks and my doc changed me to Neurontin so I'm unsure about the weaning off period.

Neurontin:
helps my neuropathic pain greatly and for me the only negative is drowsiness, but all my other stuff does that too. It also contributes to my short term memory loss though, kinda like the worse of two evils, I choose the relief I get from it though.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
(female)

tammys HB User

The first time I was on Neurontin, I was started out at 1200 mg day and the doctor built me up to 3200mg a day. I did nothing but sleep. My mother had to wake me up to take my next dose. I couldn't remember anything (half the time not even my name). I bumped into walls when I was awake and had constant bruises on my body. Finally I stopped taking it gradually lowering my dose. When I was off of it, I told the doctor how it did me and he said "you have to let your body adjust". I was on the stuff for over a year....How long does it take to adjust???? Now the new doctor has me back on it, but only 900mg a day which I am hoping will not do me the same way. I just got my meds this afternoon and haven't started taking them yet (kinda dreading it because I don't know how I will react to it). Topamax was mentioned today and I was told neurontin was better for several reasons basically side effects. He did mention that on topamax that people tend to lose weight, and I gave it about a 3 second thought before I decided on neurontin. I guess I am scared of NEW things.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Old 04-22-2005, 04:25 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User

I'm thinking of asking to try Topamax. I'm struggling with the neurontin - I can't do anything on this stuff and I'm only taking 600 mg per day. It is helping me to take half in morning and half at night, rather than all a night. However, I still am lethargic and can't remember anything. I'm back at work part time and I'm having to write everything down, for the good it does - cause I can't remember where I put things that I've written down!!!! I've been on neurontin for a month and the sleepiness has not subsided or any of the other bad side effects.

I like the idea that Topamax may help with weight loss - that would certainly help my back.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Ok, well its been a week now on the Neurotin... (I take both - 75 mg Topomax and now 400 mg of Nuerotin)... I am repeating myself again (same as I did at high levels of Topamax - this drives my hubby insane!!). I think something is helping turn the volume down a touch on my back... Maybe the neurotin?? I also just started aqua-therapy, so maybe the combo has helped?? (not hugely, I'm talking from pain =8 to maybe a 6/7??) but i'll take what I can get...I imagine a higher dose would probably work even better, but can just see forgetting to put on my pants in the morning, losing my kids at the grocery store, developing full scale amnesia!! How do you all on 1000+ mg deal???

The side effects stink, not too sleepy (maybe I've forgotten to be tired??) but I feel like I have misplaced my brain.

Last edited by StMishl; 04-22-2005 at 10:19 AM.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #12

acl828 HB User

How do you all on 1000+ mg deal???

[COLOR=Indigo][COLOR=Navy]Too funny. At one point, they had me taking 3 pills at every meal. Each pill was 300mg each so at 2700mg a day you'd think I'd have gone crazy. Oddly enough though, I only got slightly sleepy from taking them. They didn't even help me with nerve pain like they thought. They then tried Topamax and that stuff made me miserable. I now take neither. My only help is with Lorcet 10mg and with nerve pain, that doesn't even come close! [/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 04-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
(female)

Madonna HB User

Do a search on the internet about Neurontin and class action law suit. The side effects scared the hell out of me.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #14
(female)

this is good information. I take 400 mg of neurotin 3x a day for 1200 mg. I have been laying in bed til 1:00 pm some days. I set the alarm to wake me in the morning, take the pill, and doze again. When I wake up I'm so lethargic I can hardly stand up. i figured this was only temporary til the brain got used to the drug. But after 44 days, I'm wondering...I don't feel like i have control of my brain. I don't feel like I have a brain!

I have a pad in the bathroom to write down when I take a pill so I don't overdose, because 5 minutes or less after taking a pill, I can't remember if I took it or not. I've never had anything mess with my brain and memory the way this stuff does. I can honestly see how it would be easy to forget your underwear or something and walk off oblivious, naked.

I notice that if I am an hour late with a pill, my toe starts to hurt and will intensify until I take the med, so it has wiped out 95% of my nerve pain, which is saying a lot becaue it honestly got up to a level 10 and was killing me.

When I first started neurontin 44 days ago my brain said "eat or you'll die!" so I ate. and ate. And now my brain does not know when I am full. So I eat and eat.

If the Topamax works, I might try it to lose the 25 lbs I've gained! I don't like the sleepiness and fuzzy memory (what memory??!) on Neurontin, but at the same time I feel fortunate that it killed 95% of my nerve pain.

You know? How often do we find something that actually takes our pain away? Not often! But I am afraid I'll burn the house down leaving a burner on or something. And falling asleep in the swimming pool is just too much. If I eat something, 5 mins later I can't remember if I just ate. My husband finishes my sentences because the brain can't find the words...and my next question is...when you went off the med, did your brain come back? Or did you have permanent memory loss?

Old 04-22-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
(female)

tammys HB User

First of all the question of does your memory return after you come off..... I came off of the neurontin for nearly 2 years. Yes, eventually your memory returns. I still find things fuzzy, but wonder if it is things that happened while I was on neurontin and I just wasn't aware that it happened. Now that I am back on the neurontin, I am not looking forward to the fog. Ladybird, you mentioned falling asleep in the pool....I am a pool idiot. I love the water and the sun. Be very careful in the sun with neurontin because it made me very sun sensitive. Normally I can be in the pool 8 hours a day, but with neurontin I can only be out for short periods and that is with a strong sun screen. I have not had the urge to eat while on neurontin, but then when I was on it the first time, I was on such a high dose (3200 mg a day) that all I did was sleep. I never seemed to eat. At that point I lost weight. I really hope I don't start gaining with this new dose. I definately don't need to gain any weight.

Good Luck!!! Keep Smiling!!!
Tammy

Closed Thread