It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

peepers566 HB User
Myelogram side effects

I had my 2nd myelogram/ct today I really didn't think much about side effects since the first one in October I didn't have any, but right now I feel like I have been run over by a truck a very big truck. My stomach is up set and this headache is awful, but I have been having some chest tightness. Almost like my upper back is having muscle spasms and it wraps around to my chest and makes it diffcult to breath also lots of lower back pain. The myelogram was of my lower back. I tried taking flexril but it hasn't helped. As long as I am laying flat on back it seems ok, expect for the headache. Anybody here have shortnes of breath or diffculty breathing with their myelogram?
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Peepers

Old 04-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
(male)

TINCAN HB User
Re: Myelogram side effects

Hello peepers
If your symptoms are as bad as you say YOU BETTER GET ON THE PHONE TO YOUR DOC RIGHT AWAY!!!! The headache could be a post mylegram headache which is a million times worse than a migrane. The vomiting could be because your headache is so bad. The tightness in the chest well I don't know what that is. I had a post mylegram headache and they had to keep me in the hospital for 2 or 3 days. Check out my post about that. Well any way you better get you some help because this could be serious and you do not want to take that chance.
TINCAN
LAMINECTOMY L5-S1
DISKTECTOMY L5-S1
FUSION L5-S1 WITH HARDWARE
BONE SPURS
MEGA SCAR TISSUE
DDD UP TO THORASIC AREA
STENOSIS
SPONDYLIOSIS
DISK BULGE L4-S1

Last edited by TINCAN; 04-20-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Peepers....I agree 100% with Tincan.... if the headache is as bad as you say... You need to be calling your doctor.... if you cant get your doctor, then I suggest you go to the ER.....because that is one of the things they definately tell you, if you get a very bad headache, let them know immediately and seek attention, because it can be from the needle puncturing the spinel canal, and spinel fluid is leaking out and causing the headache.... so they have to do a blood patch to fix it....Also they tell you, DO NOT LAY FLAT!!! lay with your head elevated atleast the height of 2 pillows... this keeps the dye/contrast from going to your head and causing a headache......also drink LOTS of fluids to flush the dye out of your system.... my doctor said that is sometime why it causes you to feel like you put it... "Like you were ran over by a big truck...." you sometime will until the dye is out of your system..... But with you vomiting that could be a hard thing to do, because you might not be able to keep it down.....but that could be caused from the headache as well...... as far as the chest tightness, I honestly have no idea about that either... my best suggestion is CALL THE DOCTOR OR GO TO THE ER!!! better safe then sorry.....Good Luck!! Keep us informed as to how you are doing....

Take Care

Old 04-21-2005, 06:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
(female)

peepers566 HB User

Thanks for the replays, but I did go to ER. I am finaly home from there. The headach is mostly better at least I can sit up with out the hit by truck feeling. They told me it was a spinal headach and gave me lots of pain meds and lots of fluids via a IV to help push out the dye from the myelogram. They told me if it gets wrose to come back but otherwise everything seemed ok.
Peepers

Old 04-22-2005, 12:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

That good news Peepers - glad you went to E.R.

Hope you continue to feel better

BW

Old 04-22-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Peepers, glad you went to the ER.... but most of all I am glad you are feeling better....

Good Luck.... Take Care.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
(female)

peepers566 HB User

Hi, thanks for all the respones, it nice to know someone cares. However I still have this awful headach, I have tried everything. It is ok when I lie down but as soon I sit up or stand up the headach comes back. They told me in the ER if it doesn't go away in 24 hours to come back, I just bring my self to go back. If I am still having problems tomorrow evening I'll go back to the ER, I just hate hospitals. I let you all know what happens.
Peepers

Old 04-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
(female)

peepers566 HB User

I still have this awful headach, it only hurts when I sit or stand up. When I am laying flat in bed it doesn't hurt as much. I have tried taking everything I have for the pain. I really don't want to go back to the ER as I have to stand and sit for awhile before they can get me into a room to lay down, and some how it really doesn't seem like a emergency. Can I cause any harm waiting till the doctors office opens on Monday? Thanks in advance for any reponses.
Peepers

Old 04-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi there
It does sound like a CSF leak, the only way to solve it is with a blood patch, I had that after a myleogram. The headache was much worse with sitting up. You may want to go on to the hospital if it is a headache that is the worst you have ever had ,, that would be what a CSF headache feels like, The bloodpatch only takes about 5 minutes and you will get immed. relief. It will seal off the leak that is causing the headache. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Please have someone drive you!!!!!!
shelley

Closed Thread