It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

BobiM HB User
1 week post surgery

What are you usually able to do 1 week post surgery. My son is getting out of bed himself, using a wlaker much of the time, but not every time and climbing steps as of today. He has been out in the yard walking and that's about it. He is taking 6 Percoet a day. Is this about normal? Should he be doing more? He appears to be coming along fine but I want to make sure he is about right on schedule with his walking, etc. They say his wound looks excellent. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Bobi

Old 04-20-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: 1 week post surgery

xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=Quietcook]Bobi,

I'm surprised his doc didn't give him written instructions upon leaving the hospital. Hope he has a successful recovery.[/QUOTE]

Actually they gave him all of the instructions before he even had the surgery. It was a very comprehensive meeting we had with the doctor and the office staff. He is being very careful. The doctor said he could go up and down stairs once a day. I just was wondering if others have been doing more things than he is. I think he'll be just fine but I wanted to check this board to see what others have done 1 week post op.

Bobi

Old 04-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User

Sounds like he is doing great

He is actually doing quite alot for his first week. Taking 6 Percocet a day isn't out of the ordinary either.

Just be sure he doesn't overdo it.

I'm 10 weeks out, and I still have days I do more than I should, and definitely pay for it. Of course, I'm not as young as I used to be at 44.

Lea

Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Bobi

My Dr also stressed NO stairs AT ALL. And also no tub baths or driving 1st month.

hope he has a speedy recovery

BW

Old 04-21-2005, 05:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Sounds like he's doing well. I did all the same things after my surgery. My doctor had no issue with stairs. My shower and bedroom are on the 2nd floor and I was mainly on the 1st. He told me notta prob, just be careful.

The general rule of thumb is... do what you're able without overdoing as long as you're not bending, lifting, or twisting. The sooner he's able to get back to normal activities, the sooner he'll recover. Week 4 and 5 is usually a crash week, so expect very small setbacks at that time, but they're temporary.

I let my body be my guide. If I started aching, I rested, if I was up to it, I'd do stuff.

Also note: the drugs are still in full force right now, so it's easy for him to think he can take on the world. I personally feel that the anesthesia stays in a person for quite a while and that's why some get a false feeling of superpowers in the first week or two.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
(female)

arkansas_tracy HB User

a week after my surgery i was still a little bit swore and could not sleep on my back, but I did go outside and walk and I sleep alot.. But I was basically up and down all day. After 3 weeks I was ready to get going sure enough. This friday will be 5 weeks post op and I still take a pill every now and then. But I am almost off of them.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
Cool Re: 1 week post surgery

That sounds about where I was one week after surgery. He sounds like he is doing well. For me it got to the point where I felt best on my feet taking little walks. For some reason sitting and even laying down was rough for me, so I really enjoyed taking little walks. I also had stairs to deal with and a Physical Therapist worked with me in the hospital on going up and down stairs correctly. But, the first couple of weeks I did try to avoid them as much as possible. I am almost one year post surgery, and I still can't sit for long periods without really feeling it in my back. I hope your son continues to do well!!

Closed Thread