It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Back turning for the worse.

I got up this morning and my back is hurting quite a bit worse. I tried to drive to work but the pain go too bad and I did not feel safe driving so I turned right around and went home. My mom talked me into going to a chirpractor. She swears by this guy that he makes her feel better. She has gone to some who make her worse but this guy knows what he is doing. I am scared but my regular doctor is not in today and I have used the pain pill method and it is not working for me. I cannot go to work on prescription pain pills that is not safe either. So wish me luck. My appt is in a couple hours and hopefully I do not get worse. My mom kept saying he is not going to make me worse. She had a sciatic nerve problem that he got rid of for her. She is going to take care of me this weekend if I do get worse. Wish me luck.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
(female)

kt41577 HB User
Re: Back turning for the worse.

I wish you luck, but are you sure this will work? everyone is different, do you have the same problems as you mom? do you know what is causing your pain? why can't you go on prescription pain meds? do they make you groggy? I've found that I cut the pill in 4s and take a little at a time. well good luck to you and I hope your pain free soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

Did you say yesterday that you had a ruptured disk? I've been told to stay away from the chiropractor with a ruptured disk. I would talk to a nurse at the doctor's office first and tell her what you are planning to do and see what they say. Even if you can't talk to the doctor, the nurse can talk to you. That's what I would do anyways. You don't want to make it worse. And if you go to the chiropractor, for heaven's sake, tell him your MRI results. Not everyone's back problem is the same, and though it helped your mom, she could have had something completely different going on in her back.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
(female)

schooldriver HB User

Kari I agree with the other posters.Chiros can make things worse for some.One that I went to worked on my neck and I swear I thought he broke it.he didnt but it hurt for about a week and a half after. Didnt go back to him ,but I did find one that had a massage therapist do trigger point release.and thats all he didnt want to do adjustments he didnt think it would help.So If you go you might want to get one that does massage also or heat packs or ice not just go in and crack you then thats it see you in two days$$$$$$$$.OK

Take care
barb

Old 04-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

OK I am back from the Chiropractor. He did not crack on me or anything like that. I actually brought him pictures of my MRI. They had asked if I had any so I managed to get over to the place I had them taken and pick up some pics and the report. He had me lay on this table on my stomach and did what he called traction. He held my back in place a couple inches above my disc protrusion and just moved the bottom part of the table up and down in a slow motion. It felt like it was stretching a little but did not really hurt. When I stood up after he did that it did not seem to hurt as much when I put weight on my left leg which is what has been causing me so much pain the last few days. He also said that after a certain amount of time if I do not get considerably better he cannot continue treating me and that he would refer me. So it made him seem like he was legit and not just a chiro trying to get money from people. I'll see how I do tonight. It does still hurt to sit but standing does not hurt as much after what he did.

Hey what can I say the regular doctor just gives me pain meds and they really make me tired and I cannot do my job and I do not want to be high on pain pills all of the time. I would rather have a little pain then be a zombie. It mostly hurts when I sit which is my entire job at work. Hurting to sit even though i have more to type. I need a break.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I did notice that on the way to the chiropractor that I was in a lot of pain trying to sit in the car. My mom was driving I did not dare drive. I was starting to move around a lot on the way there and moaning. Then on the way back I did not have as much pain sitting and I could keep in one spot without it becoming over bearing. I think it actually did help. I'll keep you posted. I am as big of a skeptic as they come against Chiropractors but my mom was begging me to go and said she hated to see me in pain and that she would even pay for it. So if it does continue to help it will be interesting because I swore I would never go to one when I found out about this injury.

He also told me I need to get a really good chair for my work. That is impossible since when I go in there I sit in a different one each time and don't always have an option. He said that is a problem because when doing a sitting job like I do that is the most important thing. I think that is what caused it to get worse on me here. I worked a long day and it got worse and worse at work that day and then that night it was hard to sleep because of the pain. I might not be able to do this job anymore. It really sucks. I don't know what I am going to do.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Hi Kari

sorry your pain has gotten so outta control ~ I am NOT a fan of Chiro's at all however I would never tell someone what to do or not to do.

I hope your brief relief is replaced with a continued noticable difference, just be careful.

I'm sure your mom is happy and I know she'd never refer you to him (or see him herself) if she didn't trust is ability, perhaps you've found a good one.

I'm sure there are Chiro's in it for the right reasons and if so he will STOP treatment if he either thinks he can't help you further or of course, if you get worse.

KT is right about quartering the pain meds. I have to do that sometimes in order to perform my job it doesn't help as much as when I'm able to take my normal dose but I am able to "get by" - and I also sit all day. I have tried many different chairs. I actually have (3) now at the ofc depending on what "type of day" I'm having.

Please just be VERY careful, LadyBird is also right in that it can easily cause more harm than good if you have a ruptured disc.

I wish you well and hope you feel better soon
Bionic

Last edited by Bionicwan; 04-21-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
(male)

victorsch HB User

Keep going to the chiro!

I am a chiropractor myself, and yes, there are good ones and bad ones out there. However, just based on what you described, this doctor uses a flexion-distraction technique that is excellent for disk problems.

Actually, chiropractors do not do further damage to a ruptured disk. I have worked on many patients with herniated disks, and there are some people out there who have herniated or ruptured disks with absolutely no symptoms at all! However, every patient that I have worked on with a herniated disk has gotten better, not worse.

If you understand the physiology of a herniated disk and the structures involved, one will understand how hard it is to physically cause a disk to rupture by means of a chiropractic adjustment.

Keep the appointments. It sounds like you found a good chiropractor!

-Dr. V

Old 04-21-2005, 09:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

He said he was going to do traction then put me on that table like I described. I look in the pamphlet that he gave me and they call it Distraction manipulation. Is that machine or table something that is pretty easy to do? I am concerned because the chiro I saw today is not going to be there again until next Wednesday and he is going to have his son do the treatments tomorrow and next Monday and Tuesday. His son is very young from my understanding about 22 and would not have the experience the Chiro I went to today does. So is that table or flexion distraction something that is pretty easy to master using?

Old 04-22-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Dr V,

I appreciate your insight (and btw: Welcome to the Backboard )

I went to one for 3 months WHILE HAVING A RUPTURED DISC. I ended up in O.R. and now have permanent nerve damage. Which 4 Dr's have since told me was due to the time the disc fragments were left compressing my spinal cord.

BionicWitch

Last edited by Bionicwan; 04-22-2005 at 12:37 AM.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Dr V,
Is it supposed to hurt worse the next day? I am in quite a bit of pain. I have a spot right by my tailbone that gets flared up really easy and the way that thing was stretching me really pulled on it and now I cannot sit in a chair for even 1 minute. I am not going back there today. I would never be able to tolerate that stretching again today.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #12

monacks HB User

I'm not a doctor. But I have twice now had a flare up where I could barely move. The next day after the chiro is always worse. It is a week later for me and I'm still in pain, but am able to move around. I have a herniated disk. I have found that the chiropractic care has helped me. But a lot of people in my life are telling me to stop going. And then when I read some of the posts on this board, I get scared. I have been going for a year now and he's made me feel better. Its just when I get these flare ups that I get really upset. It is very frustrating to have this kind of intense pain.

I am wondering though - does anyone know if its better to put heat or ice on the sore back? I have tried both and they both help me feel better, but I want to do whichever will help me heal faster.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I have heard traction's can really help If you havent already had surgery, I go to a chiro for my neck and my hip, Been about 3 weeks with him and no help yet?

Old 04-22-2005, 08:15 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

According to the pamphlet the doctor gave me for the first 48 hours after an injury you only use ice. After those 48 hours place hot and cold packs on your low back. Moist heat for 10 minutes / cold for 10 minutes and so on. This helps stimulate circulation and relieve your pain. I have found for myself that ice has worked the best but just the last few days it actually has been making it worse and heat makes it hurt worse also. It's pretty much flaired up right now and not much is helping. Pain pills are really all that is taking the edge off of it.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hey there!

I was wondering if any of you all have tried an Inversion Board/Table? I have one and I really like it. I have to support my neck with one of those curved pillows tho or I get a headache. I have cervical disc DDD and one that is slightly out of alignment, but I think the headache comes from all the blood rushing to my little brain!

I have, since summer '02 herniated L3-4 L-4-5 S1 one of these has a tear. Well, I have been treated with PT, ESI's, Aqua Therapy, all not helping. I am currently under PM care being treated with meds. I also have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Bursitis in my right hip and right shoulder, and severe trigger points that are constantly inflamed. I am seeking SSD, and can't afford any "other" treatment like my PM doc wrote me a script for PT that is for massage therapy and trigger point release, but I can't pay for the treatments. My insurance caps out at $2500 and I can't afford that either but am going to have to resort to surgery regardless. My rheumy believes that I have waited so long now that surgery will most likely not help too much and of course I need a new MRI to see what further damage has been done. She believes this because of the pain in my butt and my groin that radiates to my shin. I saw a picture in my PM's office that shows exactly what L affects a certain area of your body. I saw the L4 and L5 (or was it 3? can't remember!) parts that are affecting my shin. She said that the pain I feel from my hip to my knee is from the bursitis, and the pain in my shin is from my back. I never knew all that! Hmmm...I know that the bursitis is so bad, that I can't sit correctly. Between that and the pain in my butt cheek from my back I have to sit on one cheek! I too don't drive unless necessary cuz I have to lean so far to one side. My foot and toes are also numb and my right foot "droops". I cannot raise my right leg but a few inches and I can't lift my right foot from the ankle up towards my shin. Soooo....this is why my rheumy believes I have some sort of nerve damage. I have called my PM doc and gave him some of the names of surgeons who operate in the hospital I choose to use, close to my home, and covered by my insurance, only one of those docs is a neuro, not sure what the others are, I'd have to call their office. But I haven't heard from him yet. I am worried about getting this surgery done within the next month or so, cuz my husband is on a temp construction job which is about to end and my insurance will have to transfer over to COBRA. That is my biggest fear, next to losing our home, that I will have no insurance! I am a Veteran and have an app to reapply for my benefits, but there is no VA Hospital here, just a clinic. I just want my back fixed as much as someone can fix it. I hope that it could be even 10% better than it is now, maybe I could be a little more mobile. Right now, if I am rising from a sitting position, I have to push myself up, then stand there for awhile until my back "releases" before I can even take a step. Do you know what I mean? It's like I have to stand for a few seconds to let my back "let go" before I can walk. My knees are begining to go bad because I use them so much to squat if I have to get something off the floor or bend down, so I'm not using my back. Now my knees hurt all the time! I can't sit unless my feet are elavated because the pressure on my back is too intense. Some mess eh?

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble on like that, I only wanted to ask you all about the board! LOL Sorry.

Oh, and I too wonder about a Chiro mushing around all those discs that are already mushed! I had a massage not too long after my back was first dx'd with herniated discs, and the therapist just barely rubbed on my lower back and I thought I would pee myself. I can't even stand for any kind of pressure to be applied to that area, unless I am standing erect, then I can kind of massage it, but if I'm laying flat, no way can you apply any sort of pressure to that area, or even wiggle me around what so ever! I have to sleep in the same position in bed, or if I do manage to get onto my side, I have to twist my shoulders first then slide my hips very slowly over on their side, without twisting my back. I use the headboard on my bed to do this! I hold the bars on the headboard and slide my hips onto their side. Quite a trick! LOL Oh and I have a rope tied to my bed that has a big knot in the middle that I have to grab in the morning in order to hoist myself up so I can even get out of bed. I cannot sit up without something to pull on.

Anyhoo, thanks you all for listening and hopefully here soon I will be having surgery and hopefully it will at least let me bend over without needing a crane to pull me back up!

Here's wishing you all a good spirit!
tk

Closed Thread